Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

S&W 28-2

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 81Degrees
    Member
    • Dec 2015
    • 402

    S&W 28-2

    Well I ordered a new rear sight and assembly for a newly acquired model 28-2 revolver. I also picked up Kuhnhausen's shop manual for S&W.



    While I wait a couple weeks for the parts to arrive, I thought I'd address a noise that makes the gun sound like a rainmaker when I move it in any direction. The sound is reduced when the hammer is pulled full back so I thought is start there. Come to find out it's whatever part the trigger rebound spring is around. It slides back and forth inside the spring.



    Now I just need to figure out in what order to take the rest of the parts apart to get to it.



    Any suggestions or advice as I move forward?
    I see your swartz is as big as mine, now let's see how well you handle it
  • #2
    MosinVirus
    Happily Infected
    CGN Contributor
    • Sep 2013
    • 5282

    Loosen the hammer spring tensioning screw at the front bottom of the grip area of the frame.

    Take the hooks of the hammer spring off the hammer strut.

    Remove the hammer spring.

    The hammer will not be allowed to turn until the cylinder latch is depressed, that is why you will need to depress that as you pull the trigger slightly to turn the hammer just enough to where it clears the frame above. Then you can take it out.

    You will need a tool to depress the spring inside the trigger rebound slide so you can remove it. I have seen people use other tools but I wouldn't recommend it as you can damage the pin that the spring pushes against.



    The spring needs to be compressed just enough to not be pressing on the pin, and then you will tilt the slide up over the pin and be able to remove the slide and the spring.

    I don't know why I am writing all of this out... there are videos on YouTube...

    I don't understand what sound you are hearing... can you explain a little better?

    Also, I wouldn't actually go after fixing anything if you are unfamiliar with revolver tunning and repair. It is very easy to damage parts that are not easy to fit into the system if you get replacements.
    Last edited by MosinVirus; 03-12-2017, 1:27 PM.
    Hobbies: bla, bla, bla... Bought a Mosin Nagant... Guns, Guns, Guns...

    Comment

    • #3
      81Degrees
      Member
      • Dec 2015
      • 402

      The piece I'm referring to is the metal rod or shaft the is located inside the spring. It slides back and forth making a noise. I'm just not sure what the function of the piece is. Maybe it keeps the spring from compressing out of place. I wonder if I can replace it with a longer one.

      I see your swartz is as big as mine, now let's see how well you handle it

      Comment

      • #4
        81Degrees
        Member
        • Dec 2015
        • 402

        Originally posted by MosinVirus
        Loosen the hammer spring tensioning screw at the front bottom of the grip area of the frame.

        Take the hooks of the hammer spring off the hammer strut.

        Remove the hammer spring.

        The hammer will not be allowed to turn until the cylinder latch is depressed, that is why you will need to depress that as you pull the trigger slightly to turn the hammer just enough to where it clears the frame above. Then you can take it out.

        You will need a tool to depress the spring inside the trigger rebound slide so you can remove it. I have seen people use other tools but I wouldn't recommend it as you can damage the pin that the spring pushes against.



        The spring needs to be compressed just enough to not be pressing on the pin, and then you will tilt the slide up over the pin and be able to remove the slide and the spring.

        I don't know why I am writing all of this out... there are videos on YouTube...

        I don't understand what sound you are hearing... can you explain a little better?

        Also, I wouldn't actually go after fixing anything if you are unfamiliar with revolver tunning and repair. It is very easy to damage parts that are not easy to fit into the system if you get replacements.
        Thank you for the response. I probably should have waited till I received the shop manual, I'm hoping it is informative for my particular situation. I feel I'm competent enough to perform certain tasks regarding maintenance, repairs, and modifications; especially when I have good information.
        And I definitely enjoy watching your YouTube videos, detailed and informative.
        Thanks again for the warning on breaking parts.
        I see your swartz is as big as mine, now let's see how well you handle it

        Comment

        • #5
          MosinVirus
          Happily Infected
          CGN Contributor
          • Sep 2013
          • 5282

          Originally posted by 81Degrees
          The piece I'm referring to is the metal rod or shaft the is located inside the spring. It slides back and forth making a noise. I'm just not sure what the function of the piece is. Maybe it keeps the spring from compressing out of place. I wonder if I can replace it with a longer one.

          Oh, that is the trigger stop rod. Basically an overtravel stop. If it rattles and it bugs you, take it out.

          Edit: don't go longer. It will make the gun impossible to fire.
          Last edited by MosinVirus; 03-12-2017, 3:47 PM.
          Hobbies: bla, bla, bla... Bought a Mosin Nagant... Guns, Guns, Guns...

          Comment

          • #6
            81Degrees
            Member
            • Dec 2015
            • 402

            Originally posted by MosinVirus
            Oh, that is the trigger stop rod. Basically an overtravel stop. If it rattles and it bugs you, take it out.

            Edit: don't go longer. It will make the gun impossible to fire.
            I did notice that I could not go longer without preventing the rebound slide from moving. I was not sure what the purpose was because the slide has a cut out that stops it from traveling a certain distance if the spring failed.
            Now that I know what was making the noise it is less of a concern. I'll keep things the way they are.
            Just need to replace the rear sight. And find some Safariland speed loaders for it. They are really hard to find.
            Last edited by 81Degrees; 03-12-2017, 3:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
            I see your swartz is as big as mine, now let's see how well you handle it

            Comment

            • #7
              ar15barrels
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2006
              • 57177

              Originally posted by MosinVirus
              Oh, that is the trigger stop rod. Basically an overtravel stop. If it rattles and it bugs you, take it out.
              Or grease the spring and rod down inside the rebound slide so it won't rattle, but will still do it's job when needed.
              Randall Rausch

              AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
              Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
              Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
              Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
              Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

              Comment

              • #8
                'ol shooter
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2011
                • 4646

                The hammer blocks rattle in all my S&W's. A little lubrication quiets them down some.
                sigpic
                Bob B.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(")

                Comment

                • #9
                  81Degrees
                  Member
                  • Dec 2015
                  • 402

                  Originally posted by ar15barrels
                  Or grease the spring and rod down inside the rebound slide so it won't rattle, but will still do it's job when needed.
                  I was going to test a thin coat of grease just to see what the difference would be. After a full disassembly and cleaning, I plan to very lightly oil rotating parts and grease sliding parts.
                  I see your swartz is as big as mine, now let's see how well you handle it

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    MosinVirus
                    Happily Infected
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Sep 2013
                    • 5282

                    Originally posted by ar15barrels
                    Or grease the spring and rod down inside the rebound slide so it won't rattle, but will still do it's job when needed.
                    Or that.
                    Hobbies: bla, bla, bla... Bought a Mosin Nagant... Guns, Guns, Guns...

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1