Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Rust removel with a penny

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • gc44
    Banned
    • Oct 2015
    • 279

    Rust removel with a penny



    Interesting....
  • #2
    Garv the innocent
    RSG Minion, Senior
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Apr 2014
    • 9078

    Interesting, thank you.

    I have a very old .22 that has some small spots, have to try this and the fine bronze wool to see what happens.
    Originally posted by Kestryll:
    It never fails to amuse me how people get outraged but fail to tell the whole story in their rants....

    Comment

    • #3
      LeadFarmer74
      Veteran Member
      • May 2015
      • 3105

      Thanks for sharing.
      NRA Lifer
      Originally posted by Click Boom
      I know your ban hammer is cold hammer forged and chrome lined, im not messin with it!

      Comment

      • #4
        GMG
        Calguns Addict
        • Dec 2008
        • 7974

        Thanks for sharing, OP!
        sigpic

        A member of The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

        Comment

        • #5
          DaveInOroValley
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Jan 2010
          • 8968

          Just an FYI a discarded brass (brass only) rifle case with the mouth of the case hammered flat makes a great rust scraper.
          NRA Life Member

          Vet since 1978

          "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

          Comment

          • #6
            xsefan
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2013
            • 1931

            White vinegar I mix it with corn starch if I'm only doing the outside.
            When it's hot it works fast

            Comment

            • #7
              chevy95
              Member
              • Dec 2013
              • 141

              XSE

              After either the (real) copper penny or the vinegar what step do you take to keep the rust away? Light coat of oil?

              Comment

              • #8
                Cody
                Senior Member
                • Jul 2009
                • 2148

                That was pretty interesting. Just my 2 cents.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Garv the innocent
                  RSG Minion, Senior
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Apr 2014
                  • 9078

                  Originally posted by Cody
                  That was pretty interesting. Just my 2 cents.
                  Can I have one of those to clean my gun with?

                  Just got my fine bronze wool from Amazon. 3 pieces.

                  I will ship one piece on my penny to the OP and the first poster in this thread that says I'll take it followed by a PM address.
                  Edit: Offer expires 3/31.
                  Last edited by Garv; 03-16-2016, 3:15 PM.
                  Originally posted by Kestryll:
                  It never fails to amuse me how people get outraged but fail to tell the whole story in their rants....

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    mike.h
                    Senior Member
                    • Sep 2011
                    • 1613

                    thanks for sharing
                    USAF 1966-70
                    SEA '69-70
                    NRA Life Member

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Sky_DiveR
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 3017

                      An old timer showed me the penny trick many, many moons ago. Works pretty darn good. He also showed me that warm Vinegar removes rust (especially in the pits) but can also remove blueing if left for too long.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        FLIGHT762
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 3072

                        Remember to use a minted before 1982 penny as he describes in the video..

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Win231
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2015
                          • 2099

                          At first, I was expecting to hear that the copper in the penny caused some type of chemical reaction that removed the rust, as opposed to using it to scrub off the rust. (I remember reading that somewhere).

                          I don't agree with him about steel wool. I had an old 870 with a rusted magazine tube. I used steel wool & oil & it was very effective.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1