Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1911Builder's officer frame - New Updates pg 2

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • pklin1297
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2006
    • 3287

    1911Builder's officer frame - New Updates pg 2

    Hello all,

    I have one of 1911builders' new officer frames and am in the process of prepping the frame to build on.

    The only thing different from their frames is that the mainspring housing pin hole is not drilled on the frame. I have emailed them about how they went about accurately locating and drilling that hole but no reply. They've already built a test pistol so I know they've done it.

    Anyway, I was thinking if the same jig used to locate that same hole for the bobtail mod can be used here. Anyone else have other ideas? Thanks.
    Last edited by pklin1297; 05-06-2016, 9:58 AM. Reason: new updates
    NRA Member, CAPRC Member
  • #2
    ar15barrels
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2006
    • 57175

    I would just slide the mainspring housing into place and then cross-drill both the frame and the mainspring housing at the same time.
    The trick is aligning the drill bit so that it's centered in the hole of the mainspring housing.
    Last edited by ar15barrels; 02-17-2016, 10:11 AM.
    Randall Rausch

    AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
    Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
    Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
    Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
    Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

    Comment

    • #3
      ptoguy2002
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2006
      • 3866

      Interesting, I see that from the pics on their webpage.
      Don't know.
      I hope they are planning on a bobtail officers frame...
      WTB: SWISS & German police trade in pistols
      WTB: German made & proofed SIG P226R & P228R
      WTB: Factory cutaway pistols & rifles
      WTB: LAPD Ithaca M37 / CHP S&W / Other PD trade ins....

      Comment

      • #4
        pklin1297
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2006
        • 3287

        Thanks Randall, I know where I can get a mainspring housing without a hole.

        ptoguy2002, as I understand it, the bobtail mainspring housing that is used on government/commander frames is already at the "Officer" length, with the new mainspring housing pin location where it needs to be for an Officer mainspring housing, so you cannot bobtail an Officer frame anymore unless you come up with a new mainspring cap, mainspring, and shorter mainspring housing with new hole location. The resulting shorter mainspring wouldn't have enough oomph to ignite much... At least this is how I understand it from what I've read. Now a "round butt" mod can be done however...
        NRA Member, CAPRC Member

        Comment

        • #5
          ptoguy2002
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • 3866

          Interesting, didn't know that, always learning something new since fiddling with these.
          I like the "rounded butt" or the square cut like on the kimbers, but doing that is beyond my capability with the stuff I've got, at least to do it cleanly.
          WTB: SWISS & German police trade in pistols
          WTB: German made & proofed SIG P226R & P228R
          WTB: Factory cutaway pistols & rifles
          WTB: LAPD Ithaca M37 / CHP S&W / Other PD trade ins....

          Comment

          • #6
            pklin1297
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2006
            • 3287

            Originally posted by ptoguy2002
            Interesting, didn't know that, always learning something new since fiddling with these.
            I like the "rounded butt" or the square cut like on the kimbers, but doing that is beyond my capability with the stuff I've got, at least to do it cleanly.
            File and sandpaper. The material gets removed very slowly so you have time to "catch" any stray filing/sanding and quickly massage it back on course. I would use a fine sharpie and either eye-ball it or use a cardboard cut out to mark the sides of the frame to ensure both sides get equal amounts removed, then go at it. As long as you don't get too close to the mainspring housing pin hole, I don't see much to worry about. The majority of the material will be cut from the mainspring housing and it is pretty meaty back there, that is, unless you get a cast housing and it comes equipped with casting voids...

            I'm planning to do this on a future build, maybe even this Officer build just to make it even more carry friendly, but I plan to use my bench sander to rough it out first.
            Last edited by pklin1297; 02-17-2016, 10:50 AM.
            NRA Member, CAPRC Member

            Comment

            • #7
              pklin1297
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2006
              • 3287

              Got a hold of 1911Builders, and their response is they don't have instructions/pointers on how to accurately locate and drill out the hole just yet, but they are working on a jig to make this happen. No ETA on the jig though.
              NRA Member, CAPRC Member

              Comment

              • #8
                liber
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2014
                • 1868

                Originally posted by pklin1297
                Got a hold of 1911Builders, and their response is they don't have instructions/pointers on how to accurately locate and drill out the hole just yet, but they are working on a jig to make this happen. No ETA on the jig though.
                They really provide some lousy customer service, IMO. They previously had the wrong radius on their site for the beaver tails, and when told said they didn't care.
                sigpic
                --------- liber --------

                From my cold dead end mill...

                Comment

                • #9
                  ptoguy2002
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2006
                  • 3866

                  Originally posted by pklin1297
                  Got a hold of 1911Builders, and their response is they don't have instructions/pointers on how to accurately locate and drill out the hole just yet, but they are working on a jig to make this happen. No ETA on the jig though.
                  They must be German.
                  WTB: SWISS & German police trade in pistols
                  WTB: German made & proofed SIG P226R & P228R
                  WTB: Factory cutaway pistols & rifles
                  WTB: LAPD Ithaca M37 / CHP S&W / Other PD trade ins....

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    pklin1297
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2006
                    • 3287

                    Yes I've told them about the wrong radius info also but they didn't seem too eager to correct it. Oh well... .250 it is...

                    I may just scrounge up the Officer blueprint and verify that against their frame, and if it all checks out, I'll try my best to locate the hole according to print and drill, or I'll do what Randall suggested and drill both the frame and housing together, but even then I still have to make sure my hole is in the general vicinity... haha... I've considered installing a magwell to the Officer and one always prefer to be able to re-drill the hole so the magwell is as snug to the frame as possible, so this situation is probably ideal anyway.
                    NRA Member, CAPRC Member

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ThatFishGuy
                      Senior Member
                      • Jun 2008
                      • 1084

                      That might be a good idea, that way you don't have to weld or adjust fit later.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ar15barrels
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 57175

                        I figured out how to do it...

                        Take a small enough Starrett parallel clamp that will fit into the space in the frame where the mainspring housing slides.
                        CLAMP the mainspring housing from the top and bottom.
                        Mount the clamp and mainspring housing in the mill vise so that it's sideways, allowing you to slide the frame on and off of it.
                        Now center up the drill chuck over the hole in the mainspring housing, slide the frame on and center drill and then drill through with the correct size drill bit.
                        Randall Rausch

                        AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                        Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                        Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                        Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                        Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          MosinVirus
                          Happily Infected
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Sep 2013
                          • 5282

                          So, the bobtail hole would not be in the same location as the officer's msh hole?
                          Hobbies: bla, bla, bla... Bought a Mosin Nagant... Guns, Guns, Guns...

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            pklin1297
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2006
                            • 3287

                            Thanks Randall, I'll have to read that a couple more times to visualize it, and also search for a pic of those parallel clamps you're talking about. I'll come back if I get confused...
                            NRA Member, CAPRC Member

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              pklin1297
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 2006
                              • 3287

                              Originally posted by MosinVirus
                              So, the bobtail hole would not be in the same location as the officer's msh hole?
                              The bobtailed mainspring pin hole hole should be in the same place as the officer mainspring housing hole, that's why I am also thinking about getting the bobtail jig to try.
                              NRA Member, CAPRC Member

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1