Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

AK Studio Apt. Build Equipment

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • baka
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2013
    • 485

    AK Studio Apt. Build Equipment

    I have a buddy who's shown a great interest in Building his own AK's as he's watched a few of my builds.

    His problem is he lives in a studio apartment and he asked me if it would be possible for him to do his own builds with the limited space etc.

    I ruled out de-milling for now. He will be using 100% complete receivers instead of bending/welding and heat-treating with this set up.

    This set up he can populate and Head-space his own virgin barrels which should help a little in the cost going forward.

    Here is what I came up with and I would like your feedback and any suggestions/comments are welcome!

    His goal is to get the gear for less than $1k

    Folding Clamping Workbench - HF $19.99
    IRWIN 4.5-in Vise - Lowes $29.98
    6 ton A-Frame Bench Shop Press - HF $74.99 (he does not have room for the 12 ton)
    8 in. 5 Speed Bench Drill Press - HF $69.99
    24 in. Bolt Cutters - HF $15.99
    Rivet Jaws for 24" Bolt Cutters - Tothtool $75.00
    AK Barrel/Sight/GB Alignment Jig - Requiem $59.95
    Cobalt Metric Drill Bit Set - Requiem $19.95
    AK Trigger Guard Installation Tool - Tothtool $80.00
    AK Barrel Populating Tool - Tothtool $40.00
    AK Barrel Removal / Install Tool - Tothtool $90.00
    7.62 x 39 Headspace G-No GO Gauges - Brownells $58.00
    4 lb. Fiberglass Drilling Hammer - HF $11.99
    Automatic Center Punch - HF $2.99
    1 lb. Fiberglass Handle Rubber Mallet - HF $5.99
    Punch Set 12 Pc - HF $13.99
    Needle File Set 12 Pc - HF $4.99
    AK-47 7.62x39 Gas Port Extended Drill Bit - AoA $5.95
    AK Long Riveting Tool - Gunthings $55.00
    AK Barrel Pin Tool for 1 inch press ram end - Gunthings $24.00
    Build Your Own AK: Vol. I - Amazon $14.99
    Build Your Own AK: Vol. II - Amazon $18.99

    Harbor Freight Coupon Links

    Harbor Freight Savings Using 20% Coupons $44.18

    Total Cost $748.54

    Fear Can Hold You Prisoner - Hope Can Set You Free!

    Reporter: "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist?"

    Marine: "Recoil."
  • #2
    ar15barrels
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2006
    • 57182

    What's the 4lb sledge for?
    Randall Rausch

    AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
    Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
    Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
    Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
    Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

    Comment

    • #3
      kylednf
      Member
      • Jan 2012
      • 456

      My AK build space takes up about 4'x4' in my "man cave." He should be fine. That includes drill press, press, spot welder. For the most part, I'm sitting on a milk crate or on my knees. Storing all his stuff is another thing but I don't see why he couldn't disassemble the press and put it in a closet and box and shelve the rest of the stuff.

      Comment

      • #4
        kylednf
        Member
        • Jan 2012
        • 456

        You should add a shop vac to that list as well. You'll be living in a room with metal shavings everywhere if not and picking them out of your skin is the worst.

        I'd try craigslist for the drill press and shop vac. You'd probably get a better drill press around the same price as the HF one.

        To save some more money, he can make his own rivet setting jaws with the bolt cutter he is buying anyways. There are many tutorials online.

        Add a ball-peen hammer. Always helpful.

        Also consider a dremel or some sort of grinding tool.

        I wouldn't rule out your friend not having to demill anything. I've had some parts kits come with a piece or two not demilled. But if he is going to tackle populating barrels then demilling will be easy.

        Depending on how many your friend plans on building, it can be cheaper to build your own receivers. Factoring in time spent driving back and forth to the FFL, gas, taxes and DROS, etc...

        Comment

        • #5
          tujungatoes
          Calguns Addict
          • Dec 2006
          • 7942

          List looks good. My only suggestion would be to change both hammers. Get a 16oz ball peen and 1lb dead blow. You don't need a BFH to build AK's.
          sigpic
          Originally posted by Dr. Elky
          If your a man who wears white sunglasses, your probably a douche bag
          Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
          I've been know to cross dress and go the other way at certain events.

          Comment

          • #6
            MosinVirus
            Happily Infected
            CGN Contributor
            • Sep 2013
            • 5282

            Originally posted by tujungatoes
            List looks good. My only suggestion would be to change both hammers. Get a 16oz ball peen and 1lb dead blow. You don't need a BFH to build AK's.

            Everyone knows that a nice big hammer can sometimes scare things into compliance and good working order.
            Hobbies: bla, bla, bla... Bought a Mosin Nagant... Guns, Guns, Guns...

            Comment

            • #7
              tujungatoes
              Calguns Addict
              • Dec 2006
              • 7942

              I've beaten the holy hell out of a lot of metal over the years. It's been mean, occasionally vengeful, and frequently defiant, but I've never seen any sign that it was intimidated.
              sigpic
              Originally posted by Dr. Elky
              If your a man who wears white sunglasses, your probably a douche bag
              Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
              I've been know to cross dress and go the other way at certain events.

              Comment

              • #8
                MosinVirus
                Happily Infected
                CGN Contributor
                • Sep 2013
                • 5282

                Originally posted by tujungatoes
                I've beaten the holy hell out of a lot of metal over the years. It's been mean, occasionally vengeful, and frequently defiant, but I've never seen any sign that it was intimidated.
                Might not have the right touch. LOL
                Hobbies: bla, bla, bla... Bought a Mosin Nagant... Guns, Guns, Guns...

                Comment

                • #9
                  AKSOG
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • 4139

                  Originally posted by ar15barrels
                  What's the 4lb sledge for?
                  FSB pins

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    tujungatoes
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Dec 2006
                    • 7942

                    Maybe I need a bigger hammer. This ones only 45tons

                    sigpic
                    Originally posted by Dr. Elky
                    If your a man who wears white sunglasses, your probably a douche bag
                    Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                    I've been know to cross dress and go the other way at certain events.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Wes C Addle
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2015
                      • 1867

                      I see a man's face in the glass to the cab. Anyone else see that?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        MosinVirus
                        Happily Infected
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Sep 2013
                        • 5282

                        Originally posted by Wes C Addle
                        I see a man's face in the glass to the cab. Anyone else see that?
                        Yes, those are the ghosts that live in the machines.

                        Last edited by MosinVirus; 02-11-2016, 2:04 PM.
                        Hobbies: bla, bla, bla... Bought a Mosin Nagant... Guns, Guns, Guns...

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          tujungatoes
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Dec 2006
                          • 7942

                          ^ Funny you should mention that. Previous operator died in that chair. He was pulling on a piece of pipe. It broke loose and came back into the cab. It's generally agreed that the machine is haunted now. It shuts down on its own and drifts when you're not touching the controls.
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by Dr. Elky
                          If your a man who wears white sunglasses, your probably a douche bag
                          Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                          I've been know to cross dress and go the other way at certain events.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            MosinVirus
                            Happily Infected
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Sep 2013
                            • 5282

                            Originally posted by tujungatoes
                            ^ Funny you should mention that. Previous operator died in that chair. He was pulling on a piece of pipe. It broke loose and came back into the cab. It's generally agreed that the machine is haunted now. It shuts down on its own and drifts when you're not touching the controls.
                            Wow, sorry for the guy. Not a good way to go.
                            Hobbies: bla, bla, bla... Bought a Mosin Nagant... Guns, Guns, Guns...

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ar15barrels
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jan 2006
                              • 57182

                              Originally posted by AKSOG
                              FSB pins
                              LOL.
                              No.
                              Randall Rausch

                              AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                              Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                              Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                              Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                              Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1