Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

This guy is Ripping off my work!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • VaderSpade
    Vendor/Retailer
    • Mar 2009
    • 4274

    This guy is Ripping off my work!

    So I see this post for 80% lower engraving and I go check out the guys site only to find My work displayed as his own.

    My work from 2013 (last updated) maybe earlier.


    Picture from competitors site;


    As engravers we all borrow from images we find all over the internet. We use these images as elements to put together our engravings.

    It took me hours to put that together, cutting stars, and stripes, and fitting everything together.

    To straight up use your competitors hard work and then display it as your own is hitting below the belt!
    Last edited by VaderSpade; 07-16-2015, 6:06 AM.
  • #2
    MontClaire
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2009
    • 4859

    Contact the USPTO and attorney. If you have proof you've done it before this other guy, you may seek to recover damages.

    Comment

    • #3
      nedro
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2014
      • 4130

      I never understood anyone who wanted custom engraving. But that's besides the point. Fry this guy!

      Comment

      • #4
        machrono
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2012
        • 637

        Originally posted by VaderSpade
        ...As engravers we all borrow from images we find all over the internet. We use these images as elements to put together our engravings!....
        So do you have "clean hands" ?

        Comment

        • #5
          antiseen
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2013
          • 837

          Is that listed as an example of what he has engraved? Perhaps someone ripped off your logo and had him engrave it?

          I know big professional engravers won't touch obviously copyrighted images, but this isn't exactly a Superman or McDonald's logo.

          I don't know copyright law, so I'm sure he could still be in trouble.

          Edit: d'oh, I didn't realize that maybe you meant he's using the exact picture of the lower engraving you did. Definitely no Bueno.

          Comment

          • #6
            sealocan
            Calguns Addict
            • Mar 2012
            • 9956

            1.) that's a very nice design, for folks who live in California.
            you've done a great job summing-up California in such a small space that was available.

            2.) now on a regular patent a person can change a certain percentage of someone's design and still be ok with selling the products
            also people can copy patents pretty much 100% if they're not going to be selling the item.
            or so I was told.

            yours would fall under the "design patent" heading those are much easier to get and if you had one you would be set. just have a lawyer try and collect damages. be warned most lawyers prefer open and shut cases.

            But in my opinion if you just went to this person and ask them to stop they probably would.

            if they don't they're are not thinking clearly.

            you also might want to call or have a friend call as a potential customer and ask about those particular receivers and how many he sold.
            so you have that information going into the conversation with this guy.
            Last edited by sealocan; 07-14-2015, 11:56 AM.

            Comment

            • #7
              VaderSpade
              Vendor/Retailer
              • Mar 2009
              • 4274

              Originally posted by machrono
              So do you have "clean hands" ?
              As far as using other engravers work I do. Now as far as the image of the flag and the outline of California. None of us do. Who owns those? We all borrow from the internet. BUT I also have quite a few vector sites that I buy images from. They are usually cleaner and worth the price.

              Damages are not enough to go after, and I have contacted him for his side of the story. A customer may well have brought that in. And that is why I have not yet named him.

              Comment

              • #8
                kcstott
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Nov 2011
                • 11796

                Copy right is implied without filing, so a nice little letter of cease and desist should do it but you may have to sue.

                Comment

                • #9
                  VaderSpade
                  Vendor/Retailer
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 4274

                  Originally posted by antiseen
                  Is that listed as an example of what he has engraved?
                  He did engrave the lower in that picture but he used my design. Maybe taken from my site???

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    VaderSpade
                    Vendor/Retailer
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 4274

                    Funny that the pictures on his site are protected from downloading?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      machrono
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2012
                      • 637

                      Originally posted by VaderSpade
                      Funny that the pictures on his site are protected from downloading?
                      Take a screenshot. Send him a cease and desist. If he fails to comply, then throw the book at him.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        antiseen
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2013
                        • 837

                        Ah, well then my guess is that someone probably brought that design to him and asked him to engrave it. He probably thought that it was made by the customer and that it looked cool, as well as being a good example of the detail he can engrave, so he put it on his site.

                        I'm sure he'll pull it once he gets in contact with you. Well, if he does. Could be exactly what you think.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          VaderSpade
                          Vendor/Retailer
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 4274

                          I just heard from him.
                          He did say a customer brought it in and they only used it once. What else could you say and still cover your butt?

                          He then offered to put a credit for the artwork on it?? That's just too weird so I ask him to take it down.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            VaderSpade
                            Vendor/Retailer
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 4274

                            Originally posted by machrono
                            Take a screenshot.
                            I converted the file to a useable one. Every protection can be defeated and that's why I don't bother.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ar15barrels
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jan 2006
                              • 57179

                              Originally posted by VaderSpade
                              So I see this post for 80% lower engraving and I go check out the guys site only to find My work displayed as his own.
                              There is some douche-bag who copied and pasted my shop services page straight on to his website.
                              He did such a poor job that he left the link to the service order form on MY website on his site.
                              Anyone that downloads the form to send him work is actually sending the work to ME!

                              How smart is that?
                              Randall Rausch

                              AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                              Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                              Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                              Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                              Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1