Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Finishing 80% AR lower

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 3DGearGuy
    Vendor/Retailer
    • Jun 2012
    • 804

    Finishing 80% AR lower

    Are shops still around to complete an80% lower on a CNC or did those go away? I'm in Los Angeles and looking for someone closeby.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3DGearGuy - 3D printing freedom since 2020! Use code CG10OFF for 10% off all orders of $15 or more!
  • #2
    kcstott
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Nov 2011
    • 11796

    over and done, ATF issued a letter, if you do find a shop keep it to yourself, other then that Go buy a jig and a router

    Comment

    • #3
      xsefan
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2013
      • 1931

      See that black crown Victoria out front. He will make sure you get to the shop fine. Then he will want to have a chat with you while his partner talks to the shop owner. Do you like jewelery? I see chrome bracelets in your future. 80% are a hassle unless you want a ar pistol or don't want the state to see what you have and are willing to pay a lot of money to finish that lower.
      Sell it go to a local gun store and pick up a complete lower.

      Comment

      • #4
        3DGearGuy
        Vendor/Retailer
        • Jun 2012
        • 804

        An 80% isn't that much hassle.... Just gotta pick up a jig now. No big deal.


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        3DGearGuy - 3D printing freedom since 2020! Use code CG10OFF for 10% off all orders of $15 or more!

        Comment

        • #5
          MONAJI
          Member
          • Feb 2014
          • 138

          Real easy if your the type that can at least work with your hands, I got a mill so never used it but check out http://www.80percentarms.com/ have heard good things from those that have used it, just go slow

          Comment

          • #6
            kcstott
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Nov 2011
            • 11796

            Originally posted by MONAJI
            Real easy if your the type that can at least work with your hands, I got a mill so never used it but check out http://www.80percentarms.com/ have heard good things from those that have used it, just go slow
            thats why I said use a Jig and a router if you take your time shallow cuts and don't push the router to hard you can have a part that looks like it was done on a mill.

            Comment

            • #7
              Crf450rr
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2013
              • 501

              OP
              My wife finished a 80% lower by her self on our mill. If she can do it, I'm sure you can.

              Comment

              • #8
                3DGearGuy
                Vendor/Retailer
                • Jun 2012
                • 804

                I know I can lol. I just thought it would be easier if they stilled allowed us to push buttons on a CNC mill instead.


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                3DGearGuy - 3D printing freedom since 2020! Use code CG10OFF for 10% off all orders of $15 or more!

                Comment

                • #9
                  kcstott
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Nov 2011
                  • 11796

                  Originally posted by idlplumb
                  I know I can lol. I just thought it would be easier if they stilled allowed us to push buttons on a CNC mill instead.


                  Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Thats one aspect where I agree with the ATF, I'm glad they shut the CNC stuff down but they did go over board.

                  See I attended an AK build party and then returned to three others to help out and pass on what I learned.

                  Pushing a button on a CNC teaches you nothing, and I've always held the opinion that if you are that concerned with the government knowing what you own, then you should have no problem buying the tools and learning how to do it your self.

                  They above comments are not directed at you idlplumb they are just my general opinion on the subject.

                  If it wasn't for all the shops making a quick buck flooding the market with build parties and the four guy up in the bay area that screwed it all up and Ares screwing things up. We would still have build parties.

                  It was my opinion that the CNC shops should have taught you how to program a machine or do it on a manual machine. The whole instant gratification thing just sickens me and make me wonder about the legality of the people attending. See the people at the Ak build parties wanted to learn something, they weren't looking for a quick way to circumvent then 10 day wait

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    3DGearGuy
                    Vendor/Retailer
                    • Jun 2012
                    • 804

                    I agree with you completely. It definitely is nice to learn. That's why I built my AK, too

                    You're probably very right about people trying to hide the fact that they own these things.

                    Personally? I just enjoy assembling an AR and when I got my 80% lowers, there was a "ban scare", so lowers and complete rifles were nowhere to be found.



                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    3DGearGuy - 3D printing freedom since 2020! Use code CG10OFF for 10% off all orders of $15 or more!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      kcstott
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Nov 2011
                      • 11796

                      Originally posted by idlplumb
                      I agree with you completely. It definitely is nice to learn. That's why I built my AK, too

                      You're probably very right about people trying to hide the fact that they own these things.

                      Personally? I just enjoy assembling an AR and when I got my 80% lowers, there was a "ban scare", so lowers and complete rifles were nowhere to be found.



                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                      Fully understand

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        BucDan
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2011
                        • 4063

                        Originally posted by kcstott
                        Thats one aspect where I agree with the ATF, I'm glad they shut the CNC stuff down but they did go over board.

                        See I attended an AK build party and then returned to three others to help out and pass on what I learned.

                        Pushing a button on a CNC teaches you nothing, and I've always held the opinion that if you are that concerned with the government knowing what you own, then you should have no problem buying the tools and learning how to do it your self.

                        They above comments are not directed at you idlplumb they are just my general opinion on the subject.

                        If it wasn't for all the shops making a quick buck flooding the market with build parties and the four guy up in the bay area that screwed it all up and Ares screwing things up. We would still have build parties.

                        It was my opinion that the CNC shops should have taught you how to program a machine or do it on a manual machine. The whole instant gratification thing just sickens me and make me wonder about the legality of the people attending. See the people at the Ak build parties wanted to learn something, they weren't looking for a quick way to circumvent then 10 day wait

                        I remember that weekend, it was your first time and my first time. Good times, and how I miss the party. So... how is that screw build you initially made doing for you?

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          docflash
                          Member
                          • Jul 2010
                          • 235

                          Originally posted by kcstott
                          Thats one aspect where I agree with the ATF, I'm glad they shut the CNC stuff down but they did go over board.

                          See I attended an AK build party and then returned to three others to help out and pass on what I learned.

                          Pushing a button on a CNC teaches you nothing, and I've always held the opinion that if you are that concerned with the government knowing what you own, then you should have no problem buying the tools and learning how to do it your self.

                          They above comments are not directed at you idlplumb they are just my general opinion on the subject.

                          If it wasn't for all the shops making a quick buck flooding the market with build parties and the four guy up in the bay area that screwed it all up and Ares screwing things up. We would still have build parties.

                          It was my opinion that the CNC shops should have taught you how to program a machine or do it on a manual machine. The whole instant gratification thing just sickens me and make me wonder about the legality of the people attending. See the people at the Ak build parties wanted to learn something, they weren't looking for a quick way to circumvent then 10 day wait
                          My sentiments exactly. Couldn't agree more with everything you said.
                          Sig Sauer Certified Armorer, P-Series Pistols
                          Sig Sauer Certified Armorer, P320 Pistol

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1