Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Shortening a M1A options?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • echo884
    Member
    • May 2009
    • 422

    Shortening a M1A options?

    I love my Springfield M1A standard, but the 22" barrel is a little long for the 3 gunning I'm doing. What would be a good, less expensive option to get a shorter barrel? Rebarrel? Cut the barrel? Both would have to be done by gunsmith. And I would have to find one up here.

    And yes, I know 'another' gun is an option. And yes, I know springfield is having a sale with 3 free mags. But the finances just aren't there for another $1000+ gun.

    Thanks calgunners!
  • #2
    dc2allday
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2011
    • 3559

    The m14k would be perfect for you
    sigpic
    Originally posted by gun toting monkeyboy
    You did ask. They were only following your instructions. Next time be a bit more careful in how you phrase your posts. If you give people a straight line like that, this is about the level of response you are bound to get. Just be glad you didn't post "Date this rifle"... Those pictures are usually very disturbing.

    -Mb

    Comment

    • #3
      xd9-g19
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2012
      • 61

      I have a socom16, maybe we can just trade barrel and receiver.

      Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

      Comment

      • #4
        ar15barrels
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jan 2006
        • 57182

        Originally posted by echo884
        I love my Springfield M1A standard, but the 22" barrel is a little long for the 3 gunning I'm doing. What would be a good, less expensive option to get a shorter barrel? Rebarrel? Cut the barrel? Both would have to be done by gunsmith. And I would have to find one up here.
        Have it shortened to 18" by a local gunsmith.
        Randall Rausch

        AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
        Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
        Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
        Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
        Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

        Comment

        • #5
          echo884
          Member
          • May 2009
          • 422

          Really like to go with the 18" instead of a 16". Thanks! I'll have to talk to some local gunsmiths.

          Comment

          • #6
            ar15barrels
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2006
            • 57182

            Originally posted by echo884
            Really like to go with the 18" instead of a 16". Thanks! I'll have to talk to some local gunsmiths.
            Ken Breda Gunsmith - Aptos CA 95003 | 831-334-2386
            Randall Rausch

            AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
            Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
            Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
            Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
            Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

            Comment

            • #7
              Twystd1
              Superfluous
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Oct 2009
              • 2692

              I shortened the barrel on a Garand from 24" to 17.5 inches.
              Whilst replacing the 06 barrel with a criterion .308 barrel.
              The scoped tanker shoots very good.
              With the mounted comp the barrel is 19.5 inches long. The little tanker is much faster to mount.

              The picture below shows (From Top to Bottom)
              TOP: 1945 Garand
              2nd: 1959 Garand
              3rd: Tanker style Garand. All Winchester parts sans the barrel, comp, scope and as issued scope mount.
              4th: Blue Sky M1 carbine.



              Full pic of the Tanker Style Garand.

              Comment

              • #8
                mrkubota
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 1372

                Shortrifles.com

                Comment

                • #9
                  wweigle
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2012
                  • 803

                  Hows much louder is the report from those shortened 30-06 Garands compared to the longer barrels? Nice looking guns!!!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Twystd1
                    Superfluous
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Oct 2009
                    • 2692

                    Originally posted by wweigle
                    Hows much louder is the report from those shortened 30-06 Garands compared to the longer barrels? Nice looking guns!!!
                    Using electronic ears......

                    There isn't really any perceived difference to the shooter.

                    The guy sitting next to you might have a different opinion.

                    -T

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      saki302
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 7191

                      My collector self wants to scream- but that tanker garand looks neat

                      -Dave

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Twystd1
                        Superfluous
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 2692

                        Originally posted by saki302
                        My collector self wants to scream- but that tanker garand looks neat -Dave
                        I went there as soon as I saw it up close and visually took in the build.

                        Then I shot it.
                        Holy crappola. This is a great shooter and a darn fun gun.
                        It's a keeper.

                        And can easily be turned back into a standard 30.06 Garand if I so choose.

                        NOTE: Building a Tanker isn't as simple as changing a barrel. It takes a lot of work to get it right. There are many little tweaks to get it right.
                        Once the build is right. The gun shoots like any other Garand.

                        -T
                        Last edited by Twystd1; 02-25-2015, 1:34 AM.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          echo884
                          Member
                          • May 2009
                          • 422

                          To each their own, but for me, no thanks. I'll shorten my Springfield M1a, but not my M1 Garand. It's got a style all it's own. I just smile when it's lined up next to all those ARs at the range. Guess what everyone wants to look at?

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            HUTCH 7.62
                            In Memoriam
                            • Aug 2006
                            • 11298

                            Originally posted by echo884
                            To each their own, but for me, no thanks. I'll shorten my Springfield M1a, but not my M1 Garand. It's got a style all it's own. I just smile when it's lined up next to all those ARs at the range. Guess what everyone wants to look at?
                            I know FAL and PTR's get all the attention
                            Some say that he once mooned two prostitutes just for a round of drinks, but wasn't surprised by the reply......They call him, the Hutch
                            Some say that he rode a dirtbike 7k miles across the country and that he once applied Bengay to his own testicles for a mere $50............They call him, the Hutch -Top Gear

                            http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...CCAB7CE8D70F60

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              TRICKSTER
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Mar 2008
                              • 12438

                              If your going to cut a M1 down, then go all the way.
                              Last edited by TRICKSTER; 02-10-2018, 2:07 PM.


                              Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1