Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Fixing buggered screws the easy way

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • manny
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2009
    • 542

    Fixing buggered screws the easy way

    In this day and age of Modern sporting rifles and polymer guns with their push pins and what not this sort of information may be irrelevant.

    But those of us who love the feel of wood and steel may get some useful info out of this.

    You can even use a drill in a vise with clamps to keep it going.

    https://www.youtube.com/user/mannyCA
    Shooting ▪Handloading▪Repair▪Maintenance▪Self-Reliance Gun Culture.
    sigpic
  • #2
    ar15barrels
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2006
    • 57179

    In the video, you are sitting still with the file which tends to load up the file teeth in that one area.

    You will get better results if you were to just push the file a little as you are rolling it along the contour of the screw head.
    Randall Rausch

    AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
    Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
    Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
    Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
    Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

    Comment

    • #3
      saki302
      Calguns Addict
      • Oct 2005
      • 7191

      If you do it like the video, you're removing a lot of material.

      I've done screw restorations. First, clamp the thing in a padded vise.

      Then, I take a ball peen hammer and try to hammer in the 'buggerings'. You want to hammer with a pull on the hit back towards the slot, like doing auto body work, and hammer many times lightly vs. a few hard hits.
      Doing this will push most of the meat back in place.

      Now, by hand, file the top of the screw to take off any remaining bits sitting above the top level. Work slow, it's not easy to put metal back! I spin the screw by hand on a sheet of sandpaper after if I need to match factory 'spun' machine markings.

      The finishing touch will be to use a THIN file or stone to cut the slot square and back to functional shape. Follow up with cold blue, or hot blue if you have it.

      I've restored old screws on antique guns that you can't tell are restored. I suppose there's no need to be so picky with modern stuff, but why bother when you can buy new screws from Numrich for a buck?

      You'll get good at filing if you do it a lot. I had Randall weld up material on an old antique revolver hammer to make a new firing pin (TIG). After reshaping it myself over a couple hours, you can't tell it's not original

      -Dave

      Comment

      • #4
        kcstott
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Nov 2011
        • 11796

        Lets see here. Maybe on some old clunky Savage, Steven's, Springfield $100 pile of parts sure. But now your screw head will sit below the surface of the counter bore is was meant for and will look like Crap

        I buy new screws cut to length and if needed turn the head to correct diameter and height. I'll also set up a slitting saw to cut to the slot deeper if need be.

        The funny thing is in your opening statement in the video you say the #1 reason screws get buggered up. Incorrect fit of screw drivers and incorrect screwdriver in general.

        Oh By the way Things don't "just happen". There is a cause for everything, Careless actions lack of attention to detail, will allow you to screw up.
        I take my time on the weapons I work on to prevent such hallmarks of a novice

        Comment

        Working...
        UA-8071174-1