Anyone have any insights to the presidents 100 and what categories they have in order for me to compete and try to obtain the tab?
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Presidents 100
Collapse
X
-
Presidents 100
Tags: None -
For Service Rifles and Pistols. To attain this you'll have to compete at the annual National Matches at Camp Perry Ohio. A worthy endeavor for sure, and I admire/envy anyone who choses to chase the tab. Also, look into the Distinguished Rifleman/Pistol Shot badges. -
Good Luck - and I mean this - it is Tough - you will literally have to beat the best in the US
I know two Presidents 100 in pistol - both shoot AMU - so they are paid to shoot EVERYDAY
To win you will have to be one steady mother
I don't have the time to devote to make it even a dream
Good luck and remember us weekend shooters when you make it big
SteveComment
-
Presidents 100 Rifle is a 30 shot match with three individual stages:
1. 10 shots slow fire standing 200 yards in 10 minutes.
2. 10 shots rapid fire prone 300 yards in 70 seconds.
3. 10 shots slow fire prone 600 yards in 10 minutes.
No sighters. Top 100 scores make the Presidents 100. Top 20 go into a shoot off for the President's Cup.
Even though I'm Distinguished, I've never been to Camp Perry for Nationals (sacrilege, I know). I really should go once, though, so I can at least try for the President's tab and to shoot in the National Trophy Individual.
Historically, the high 280's out of 300 is about the cut off.
This past National's, the cutoff for the Presidents 100 appears to have been 284-8x.
As far as 'categories' for rifle, there are none. Everyone competes in the same pool no matter which rifle (M1, M14, M16, or civilian equivalent) is used, whether military or civilian, age, or gender.Last edited by ocabj; 12-16-2013, 9:53 PM.
Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
NRL22 Match Director at WEGC
https://www.ocabj.netComment
-
I practice everyday with dry firing and I also shoot once a week but the thing is I don't know what type of firearm can I customize and still make the requirements. I want to compete in the m14, m16, and 1911 but I don't know what kind of firearm would be best or what are my restrictions when customizing.
I want to earn the presidents hundred tab while I'm still young in the military.Comment
-
Well, you're going to use an AR-15 that looks exactly like an M16A2 with an A2 carry handle, A2 stock, A2 front sight base, and A2 style hand guards, with a 20" barrel.
Note: You will still be able to run a free float tube, competition grade sights, and a competition trigger (as long as it trips at 4.5lbs or heavier).
Like this:

If you want to keep things simple and don't have a competition AR service rifle, yet, get any mil spec lower, an A2 buttstock, A2 grip, and a Geissele National Match Trigger. Then get a White Oak Armament CMP complete upper. The WOA CMP upper will have the competition free float tube, 1/4x1/4 or 1/2x1/2 MOA rear sight with three different apertures, and the NM front sight blade of your choosing with a windage adjustable front sight base. Also, pay extra for the pinned rear sight to eliminate any play/backlash in the rear sight.
That will be CMP and NRA High Power Service Rifle legal.
If you happen to be a Marine based at Camp Pendleton, you can just borrow a rifle, get ammo, and other equipment (jackets, etc) from whoever runs the teams over there. I'm not sure who's doing it now, but when I was talking to the Marine who was handling the base shooting team equipment a couple years ago, he stated that he had all the gear, but no one coming out to shoot (lack of interest). The Santa Margarita Gun Club is sponsoring some clinics, both pistol and rifle (http://www.smgunclub.org). It's meant as a preparation for anyone shooting the Marine Corps Western Division matches, but the clinics are open to all military and civilian alike.Last edited by ocabj; 12-18-2013, 7:07 AM.
Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
NRL22 Match Director at WEGC
https://www.ocabj.netComment
-
Any links to which ones you recommend because I see that their are different options and any Army based?Comment
-
Links to rifles? Well, here's the link to the complete WOA upper: http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcar...cat=259&page=1
The Geissele trigger I use is: http://geissele.com/hi-speed-nationa...e-trigger.html
After that, you can get a lower and A2 lower parts anywhere.
Not sure what you mean by Army based? If you're asking for training and courses taught by Army personnel on an Army installation, then I don't know of any. The only Army shooters I've interfaced with are AMU, and they're all at Benning.
Take advantage of the stuff at Camp Pendleton. The Santa Margarita Gun Club is a great resource and then there's all the matches that occur at Pendleton that are open to all branches. They have two big matches at Pendleton in April/May: Navy Pacific Fleet and All Navy West. I've shot in both of those (won the Pac Fleet 1000 point aggregate one year). Lots of shooters. Great participation. Plus, it's a good way to practice because it's strictly run (weigh triggers before match, etc). If BRRC is closer to you (http://www.brrc.org), check those matches out too. Lots of good shooters there.
Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
NRL22 Match Director at WEGC
https://www.ocabj.netComment
-
Would this be the basic set up to compete or would their be better parts for smoother trigger pull that's set at 4.5lbs(nothing lower if I'm mistaken) and better accuracy?
I live in Carson,CA so I would be able to go to those matches. Do you have any links for these competitions that you are referring to?
Also for the presidents hundred, wouldn't I need to fire 5.56 and not 223 as well as doesn't it need to have a muzzle break?
Also do you know anything about the pistol division?Last edited by ninjastar310; 12-18-2013, 6:44 PM.Comment
-
The set-up mentioned above will win you the National Service Rifle championship if you are up to it.
I load my own, so someone else will have to chime in regarding 5.56 vs 223 (but I think either is legal). Load your own, buy it, or have it issued to you (if you're on a team).
I don't think a muzzle brake is legal. You can run an A2 flash hider or nothing.
Don't know anything about pistol.Comment
-
The Geissele trigger is *THE* best "National Match" service rifle legal trigger there is. Unless someone has come out with something better I haven't heard of yet, get the Geissele.
http://smgunclub.org for the SMGC matches.
If you want to try the Pacific Fleet and/or All Navy West, info will be on http://usnst.org.
For Presidents 100 and any other CMP or NRA Service Rifle competitions, there is no rules distinction between .223 variants and 5.56 NATO. Most people are using a .223 Wylde or some other type of special .223 chambering optimized for longer bullets (e.g. 77gr BTHP and 80gr BTHP). Pretty much everyone uses a magazine length cartridge with a 75 or 77gr BTHP for 200 and 300, and an 80gr for 600. There are some people who actually use 77gr magazine length "Across the Course" on all firing lines (e.g. Shawn McKenna shot the same 77gr ammo on 200/300/600 when he won the NTI).
Muzzle brakes are not legal on an M16/AR15 for CMP/NRA Service Rifle competitions. It must be an A2 Flash Hider or no attachment at all.
Note: Even though I shoot a RAW, I still shoot without a A2 Flash Hider. While it has been proven that a rifle with a properly installed A2 FH shoots just as accurate without the FH, an improperly installed A2 FH can actually be detrimental. It's for that reason that I opt to compete without the A2 FH, and also because it's one less thing to have to clean.
I have no experience shooting Bullseye or Service Pistol. If you go to the SMGC website, Captain Sokoff, USMC, is running the pistol program and is conducting the pistol clinic. She took over the pistol director duties earlier this year.
Anyway, the most I can tell you about service pistol is that you need a 1911 or an M9 variant. The key thing about 1911 is that you can't have a beavertail safety, which eliminates a lot of off the shelf guns. If you want an off the shelf 1911 that's legal for CMP Service Pistol, the only one I know about is the Les Baer DCM pistol (and it should be on the CA approved list). Colt released a newer Gold Cup model earlier this year which would be legal out of the box except for the wrap around grip they put on it. Note: The Colt Gold Cup is not on the list. Don Gussler (http://gusslers.com) does rebuild 1911s into competition service pistols. Gussler actually helps run the Pacific Fleet and All Navy West matches, too (USN-RET), so if you already have a 1911, you might just want to have Gussler work on it for you.
You can go with an M9 or commercial M92, which will be legal out of the box, but odds are it won't be competition ready (trigger pull and barrel/slide/frame fit). I don't know of anyone working on Berettas for service pistol use except for one guy on the east coast that the AMU recommended (I'd have to dig through my notebooks to find that info). If you ever get a chance to go to an AMU event and check out their pistols, you will see first hand what a competition grade M9 is like. The frame to slide fit is insanely tight. You have to rack that slide with a vengeance. If you go to SHOT Show in Vegas next month, the AMU should have a booth there with their guns, along with representatives from their different disciplines. The AMU guns are built in-house by the AMU armorers.
As far as the Presidents 100 pistol course of fire , I don't know off the top of my head. Check the CMP rule book (google for the CMP competitions site), but it's definitely going to be shot from 25 and/or 50 yards, all one handed.Last edited by ocabj; 12-18-2013, 9:46 PM.
Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
NRL22 Match Director at WEGC
https://www.ocabj.netComment
-
Is their any other complete upper that you recommend because they aren't taking any orders atm fro WOAComment
-
Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
NRL22 Match Director at WEGC
https://www.ocabj.netComment
-
The first year of the Pres 100 shoot off was in 2007(my first time qual for pres 100),I was fortunate to initially be #6, after the the shoot I was #18.
I am a firm believer now that one should not have to repeat a completed course of fire for the excitment of a few spectators.
One may be on a different range other than where the shoot off is held later in the day...conditions change,nothing is the same.I understand being able to adapt ,but to do something twice was a waste of time.Last edited by highpower790; 12-19-2013, 7:27 PM.Keep it simple!Comment
-
I shot it in 2010. It was pouring rain during 600 yd stage. I was doing ok up until then, heh. Plan on going back in 2015. There are so many people its crazy. 1000-1200 shooters 6 or 7 relays deep , 150 firing points each on two ranges. If you don't have your s**t wired tight, you are going to be throwing money away shooting it casually. I plan on going back in 2015 after I shoot a few more Pac Fleet matches since I took about a year off.Last edited by cfm117; 12-23-2013, 10:20 PM.Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,809
Posts: 25,151,911
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,793
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 17141 users online. 104 members and 17037 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.


Comment