Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Little help for my 1st comp

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bigkyle72
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2011
    • 612

    Little help for my 1st comp

    So I'm going to do my 1st competition on the 18th, the IDPA in Gridley and I can't wait! I know that in IDPA I have to draw from concealment and when I start nothing can be visible. I am using this to start getting into 3 gun. Figured I would start with one gun and work my way up. I have a few questions about comps in general. 1st, what different divisions are there? Im running a stock M&P (if it comes in on time) or a S&W 4006 if the M&P isnt here yet so would I be in just production class? My second question is what the different classes are what what makes a gun jump a class up? lastly, what is the difference between IDPA and USPSA? Same classes in both?

    Thanks in advance! your help is much appreciated!
  • #2
    HighLander51
    Banned
    • Feb 2010
    • 5144

    Originally posted by bigkyle72
    So I'm going to do my 1st competition on the 18th, the IDPA in Gridley and I can't wait! I know that in IDPA I have to draw from concealment and when I start nothing can be visible. I am using this to start getting into 3 gun. Figured I would start with one gun and work my way up. I have a few questions about comps in general. 1st, what different divisions are there? Im running a stock M&P (if it comes in on time) or a S&W 4006 if the M&P isnt here yet so would I be in just production class? My second question is what the different classes are what what makes a gun jump a class up? lastly, what is the difference between IDPA and USPSA? Same classes in both?

    Thanks in advance! your help is much appreciated!
    IDPA is a good start, but USPA is a better prerequiste for 3 Gun. I would learn how to play handgun games first before even thinking about 3 Gun. An IDPA match is like flying from Ontario to Phoenix, one way, a 3 Gun match is like flying from LAX to Paris, then to Singapore, and back to LAX. IDPA and USPSA have different divisions and classifications. Your M&P would be SSP in IDPA, and you would be curently unclassified (Novice, Marskman, Sharp Shooter, Expert, Master). In USPSA you would be Production unclassified (D,C,B,A Class and Master, Grand Master). Both websites have tons of information.
    Last edited by HighLander51; 08-08-2013, 10:50 AM.

    Comment

    • #3
      bigkyle72
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2011
      • 612

      I am going to shoot one or two IDPA matches, couple of steel matches, move to USPSA then 3 gun. I figure this would be a good progression and would give me good time to learn range commands and what-not. I wanted to jump straight into 3 gun but decided to take it slow so i'm not over whelmed.

      Comment

      • #4
        tenclip
        Member
        • Feb 2013
        • 245

        Happy to see another getting into it! As far as hoping your new M&P comes in, my advice would be to shoot what you have the most time/comfort with and rounds through. To me action games are more about you knowing yourself and your pistol. Clearing jams under the clock on an unfamiliar gun with limited production-cap mags while not breaking the 180 plane and keeping track of how many targets there are left can add lots of unwanted stress. Essentially you want to take the gun out of the equation as much as possible.
        IDPA - SSP/ESP/CCP | USPSA - Production/L10 | Personal Handgun Instructor

        Comment

        • #5
          Sofatactical
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2013
          • 603

          What highlander said.
          IDPA is a great 1st ever match experience. As a wise man once said "USPSA is rally car racing while IDPA is scored parallel parking."

          To add to that 3 Gun is like rally car racing while trying to text and hold a coffee.
          Good luck
          Sofa King Tactical!

          Comment

          • #6
            3GunFunShooter
            In Memoriam
            • Dec 2005
            • 2408

            SDPS, Sacramento Defensive Pistol Shooters at the Sac Valley Range have a
            class for new shooters. Held once a month, usually the Saturday before their regular match on the 1st Sunday of the month. It is now a requirement for new shooters before they can shoot a match. Richmond Hotshots offers a
            beginners multi-gun class, excellent way to learn about 3 gun. Richmond will only allow shooters who have taken the class to participate in their multi gun matches, unless you have acceptable prior experience. SDPS is having a IDPA style 3 gun match on Saturday, so if you would like to watch and see what is involved in 3 gun, that would be a good place to start. They usually require you to be classified as a marksman before letting someone shoot their 3 gun matches. Most all clubs now require some prior shooting experience before you can shoot at any of the multi-gun matches. As for the difference in IDPA and USPSA, well.... that can take some time to explain, but HighLander51 gave a great starting explanation of some of the differences.
            Welcome, good luck and have fun. Action shooting is a great sport.
            PS Don't buy any new guns or gear until you talk to some experienced shooters and check out their gear and guns. They will be more than glad to show you what works and what does not.
            If you can't shoot good, at least look good shooting

            Comment

            • #7
              bigkyle72
              Senior Member
              • Jul 2011
              • 612

              Thanks for all the good info!

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1