Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Never take your eyes off

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • HighLander51
    Banned
    • Feb 2010
    • 5144

    Never take your eyes off

    Never, ever, take your eye protection off while shooting. You can take your ears off, your hearing will come back, but not your eyes. This was a frag from a popper at a match. The heavy Harley T shirt stopped entry into the skin, but if it went into your eye? ER time.

    Last edited by HighLander51; 10-14-2012, 7:24 PM.
  • #2
    Corbin Dallas
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • May 2006
    • 6356

    Ccwusa took a 10mm frag to the underside of the chin a few years back. A shooter at a steel match at pala last year took a full frag under the left forearm.

    Needless to say, safety is of the utmost importance even if your not the active shooter.
    NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor: Pistol - Rifle - Shotgun - PPITH - PPOTH - NRA Certified RSO

    WTB the following - in San Diego
    --Steyr M357A1 357SIG
    --Five Seven IOM (round trigger guard)

    Never forget - השואה... לעולם לא עוד.

    Comment

    • #3
      joelogic
      Calguns Addict
      • May 2008
      • 6593

      I get hit with frag all the time at USI in the action pistol area.

      As a note, your hearing does not come back.

      Sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL) occurs when the tiny hair cells (nerve endings) that detect sound in the ear are injured, diseased, do not work correctly, or have died. This type of hearing loss often cannot be reversed.

      Sensorineural hearing loss is commonly caused by:

      Acoustic neuroma
      Age-related hearing loss
      Childhood infections, such as meningitis, mumps, scarlet fever, and measles
      Meniere's disease
      Regular exposure to loud noises (such as from work or recreation)
      Use of certain medicines
      Micro/Mini Reflex Red Dot Sight Mount for the M1, M1a/M14 platform

      Comment

      • #4
        sargenv
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2005
        • 4620

        Huh?

        Comment

        • #5
          Kempfer
          Member
          • Mar 2010
          • 176

          Wear a hat too. I've had a hot casing get between my glasses.

          Comment

          • #6
            reckoner
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2011
            • 721

            I'd say don't take your eyes off while OTHERS are shooting, either. At a USPSA match this weekend I caught somebody else's splatter from a steel target right on the chin. It didn't break skin, but it felt like it was pretty damn close though. Definitely would have caused some major eye damage.

            Comment

            • #7
              freethemouse
              Member
              • Jul 2012
              • 230

              I've been hit with pieces of lead from an apparently mis-timed[?] .357 revolver that the guy next to me was shooting. One piece hit me on the cheek that stung a bit, and one hit me in the arm that actually drew blood. I politely informed him that his revolver is shedding lead and moved to another spot.

              But yeah, eye protection always! I get a lot of burnt powder on my hands and arms when I shoot my Marlin 795. Thankfully for me, I need glasses to see anything at all, so my eyes are fairly safe most of the time.

              Comment

              • #8
                HighLander51
                Banned
                • Feb 2010
                • 5144

                Originally posted by joelogic
                As a note, your hearing does not come back.
                No, the point is take your ears for 2 seconds, bang, bang, oh, I forgot to put my ears back on. Take you eyes for for 2 seconds, bang, bang, splat, and you are on your way to the ER.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Intimid8tor
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Apr 2007
                  • 6607

                  I took a frag to the side of my head earlier this year. Had to get it removed at doctor a couple days later. Hit just below my hat band
                  Starve the beast, move to a free state.

                  Bwiese: "You are making the assumption the law is reasonable/has rationale."

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    kpblade
                    Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • 193

                    While at a class shooting steel, I removed a piece of jacket from a woman that had pierced just below her lower lip and had come through to her inner mouth and also had nicked her gum. She was observing beyond the 20 yard line when it happened.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      TATB
                      Junior Member
                      • Sep 2011
                      • 49

                      I have been hit with fragments a few times at USPSA matches. I wasn’t shooting and the fragments came from the next bay. They were just stings in the face or neck, but enough to make me always wear my glasses while on the range.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        IntoForever
                        CGSSA Associate
                        • Sep 2010
                        • 3891

                        I wear wrap around glasses at all times when on the range (outdoor). I was wearing regular sun glasses and a pellet from the near by shotgun range went inside, bounced off my nose and out the other side. Either eye could have been hit causing serious damage.
                        With all this "gun control" talk, I've not heard one politician say how they plan on taking guns from criminals, just law abiding Citizens.

                        Originally posted by Nose Nuggets
                        5 guys, hot damn thats some good eat'n.
                        Originally posted by pyromensch
                        damn, i duped my own thread...first time i did a poll

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          daybreak
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2010
                          • 1735

                          yeah, been hit lots of times but nothing that's broken skin so far. I absolutely always wear my eye pro for this.

                          my YouTube shooting channel

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Gryff
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • May 2006
                            • 12693

                            This is why Richmond (my home club) requires eye protection on at all times when you are on the action pistol range. It's not an option.
                            My friends and family disavow all knowledge of my existence, let alone my opinions.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              The Virus
                              Banned
                              • May 2011
                              • 1135

                              A dude in my squad took one in the hand last weekend , I had to pull it out and patch him up. The frag was kinda stuck in there pretty good.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1