Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Training Reviews LA Area

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • joash
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2011
    • 700

    Training Reviews LA Area

    I'm looking to sign up for some training courses in 2012, starting with handgun, but eventually moving on to carbine & shotgun. I've done tons of online research but still haven't made a decision.

    I have shot on and off over the years, including some time in the military. By now I still remember how to use a gun, but not any specific tactics or techniques. I don't want to waste a whole day listening to the basics of how to shoot, but on the other hand I do need some refresher.

    I've looked at ITTS, but I'm a little concerned about the price + I don't have full weekends to commit, so I'd prefer one day classes. The location definitely works for me b/c I'm in the SFV.

    I see that Uli Gebhard offers Suarez courses, but I'm a bit skeptical about the content.

    I've seen a variety of courses offered by various outfits in Southern California to the point where I am overwhelmed by the options.

    Does anyone have actual experience attending the classes recently from any good training school in the LA area?

    Anyone try Covered 6? DTT? FTA? The list goes on and on.
  • #2
    gun fu
    Member
    • Jan 2010
    • 479

    Glad to hear you are looking for training next year.

    Are your goals for basic shooting, self defense or competition?

    I'd recommend NRA type courses if you are working on fundamentals. Specialty courses would be great after that.

    Try this tool...



    Good shooting

    DVC

    Comment

    • #3
      Cnynrat
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2008
      • 2221

      We have taken the handgun courses offered by FTA, and recommend them highly. Great people, and very knowledgeable.

      Once you've taken their general handgun class you can participate in their End of the Month club, which is basically a half day shooting clinic. This is a cost effective way to maintain your skills while having some fun.
      Dave

      Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

      Comment

      • #4
        Martin_B
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2009
        • 92

        I'd recommend Falcon Operations Group (formally Falcon Security Group) for training. I've taken 2 courses with them and both have been excellent courses. I just took their Tactical Pistol 1 class yesterday and it was great. I added several new tools to my experience bag and thought the instructors were quite adaptive to the entire spectrum of shooters they had. Very professional guys.
        sigpic

        AKA "Angry Bunny"

        Comment

        • #5
          joash
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2011
          • 700

          Originally posted by gun fu
          Glad to hear you are looking for training next year.

          Are your goals for basic shooting, self defense or competition?

          I'd recommend NRA type courses if you are working on fundamentals. Specialty courses would be great after that.

          Try this tool...



          Good shooting

          DVC
          Thanks for asking. My interest is primarily self-defense.

          By the way, does anyone notice a difference between instructors with a police background as opposed a military background?

          I know from my own military background that much of what you practice is not entirely applicable to the civilian setting.

          Comment

          • #6
            RoundEye
            CGSSA Director
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Mar 2010
            • 3671

            I recently took a defensive handgun course with Tactical Avenues as a CGN sponsored event and had a great time. It snot for someone working on fundamentals, but if you're looking for proper drawing technique, faster target acquisition, and controlled grouping it's worth a look.
            Chad C.
            Certified GLOCK Armorer
            NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, & RSO
            CA DOJ Firearm Safety Instructor


            My YouTube Channel

            Subscribe to my blog
            Check Out My Editorials At Guns.com

            Stand And Fight, Join the NRA!

            Comment

            • #7
              joash
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2011
              • 700

              Originally posted by RoundEye
              I recently took a defensive handgun course with Tactical Avenues as a CGN sponsored event and had a great time. It snot for someone working on fundamentals, but if you're looking for proper drawing technique, faster target acquisition, and controlled grouping it's worth a look.
              Thank you very much. I had never heard of Tactical Avenues before. It looks like they have week day courses, which are actually much better for my schedule than weekends.

              Comment

              • #8
                Ricky-Ray
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2010
                • 3161

                Check out Civilian Arms Training www.civilianarmstraining.com. Their classes are pretty affordable and they are one day classes. They teach primarily out of Prado in Chino Hills but starting in 2012 they will also have classes at Burro Canyon in Azusa and also at A Place to Shoot in Santa Clarita.
                Ray

                "If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University

                Comment

                • #9
                  gun fu
                  Member
                  • Jan 2010
                  • 479

                  Originally posted by joash
                  Thanks for asking. My interest is primarily self-defense.

                  By the way, does anyone notice a difference between instructors with a police background as opposed a military background?

                  I know from my own military background that much of what you practice is not entirely applicable to the civilian setting.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Stan08
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2008
                    • 1207

                    PM sent
                    Please visit my firearms training website at http://www.stcrispian.com

                    Comment

                    • #11
                    • #12
                      Sgt5811
                      Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 310

                      [/QUOTE]

                      By the way, does anyone notice a difference between instructors with a police background as opposed a military background?

                      I know from my own military background that much of what you practice is not entirely applicable to the civilian setting.[/QUOTE]

                      Coming from both backgrounds, I'd say that before taking instruction courses from Falcon Operations Group, I never really knew what I didn't know. I realized that institutional training especially the training I received in the military really limited my potential as a shooter. The military can only train what is within their doctrine to train. Since OIF/OEF kicked off, things have changed a thousandfold. The way we train and fight has strayed far from what was taught "because that's how we do it" into "because that's what works." Anyone can put together a course, but is it relevent, can they teach it, and can the students retain it? These are things that set the miriad of training companies apart. I put my money on Falcon based on the above criteria and also because they are a bunch of great guys (That's gonna cost a class with Costa, Voodoo!). Check them out a www.falconops.net

                      Comment

                      • #13
                        mixicus
                        Senior Member
                        • Jun 2009
                        • 624

                        “… does anyone notice a difference between instructors with a police background as opposed a military background?”

                        If they are good instructors, it’s more of how a person has developed as an instructor, what the class is and who their audience is as opposed to where they come from (i.e. LEO or military or other). I’ve seen good instructors from all backgrounds teach excellent basic shooting and defensive pistol classes. I’ve also seen the other side of the coin.

                        If you are looking for specific ‘tactics’ (and rules of engagement), the backgrounds become a more important. There are strengths to each background. Train with all of them! An LEO with a patrol background is probably not going to have the experience to teach a 6-8 man room clearing (SWAT) but will likely have done thousands of 1-3 man house/yard searches (a bit more in alignment with an armed civilian’s needs). A straight up IDPA or USPSA based instructor will be able to greatly enhance your ability to run a gun but may not have the best 'non-match' tactics. Some of the best carbine CQB-type instruction I have had comes from military or contractors. But, though fun on the range, ‘break contact’ tactics (i.e. Aussie peel, dynamic movement with fire,…) aren’t too applicable CONUS as a solo or even if your team isn’t on the same page.

                        It really depends on what your abilities and goals are (be honest with yourself). Match the class to your needs. You have a huge menu in the immediate area to choose from. Not an inclusive list by any means: ITTS, TFTT, FTA, Falcon Operations Group, and those travelling instructors coordinated by Grey Group are all top notch. I’ve heard good things about many others.

                        Comment

                        • #14
                          SuperSet
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Feb 2007
                          • 9048

                          Excellent and spot-on post, mixicus.

                          Comment

                          • #15
                            DSB
                            Senior Member
                            • Oct 2011
                            • 1005

                            What is the full name of FTA, for purposes of Googling them?

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1