Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Best Frame Kit for IDPA?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SGGear
    Member
    • Apr 2011
    • 395

    Best Frame Kit for IDPA?

    Hello everyone,

    I d like to ask the competition shooters (IDPA) which frame kit they like the best. I dont have a whole lot of experience in IDPA style shooting and i KNOW i should go out there and talk to the shooters about their gear... but I need to know soon. I got a friend moving from Kansas that has some spare frame kits and he is moving here soon. He might have the one that I want so that we can do a PPT

    I m leaning on a 2011 Slide & frame kit .38 Super STI. It seems like everyone has something good to say about the STIs. Price not being an issue... what would you suggest?
    "Blaming guns for murder is like blaming spoons for fat people"

    ..
  • #2
    uscbigdawg
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2007
    • 1869

    Not a bad way to go and if he wants to bring an extra one for me I'd appreciate it.

    Rich
    "Speed is a tactic!" - R.W.

    "Pressure is what you feel when you don't know what you're doing." - Chuck Knox

    "The callus on my finger is from my trigger, not the keyboard!" - Rob Leatham

    Comment

    • #3
      TMC
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2005
      • 2348

      STI's 2011's are very popular in USPSA but not so much in IDPA where they seem to favor the single stack gun.

      That said never turn down an opportunity to get a 2011 frame in CA.
      where are my pistol mags?

      Comment

      • #4
        SGGear
        Member
        • Apr 2011
        • 395

        Thanks for the replies. I could ask but I m sure my friend would bring additional frames for sale. He owns couple frames but I dont think he is selling all of it. Sorry but this is not a for sale thread.

        TMC - whats a good frame to work on for IDPA single stack gun?

        Also, for the STI frame.. is the 38 super the ideal caliber to go with? What do you think about a 9 mm 1911 for IDPA? I reload too many different calibers right now and I really dont want to add another (38 super).
        "Blaming guns for murder is like blaming spoons for fat people"

        ..

        Comment

        • #5
          Mstrty
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 2443

          If you want to shoot any caliber other than .45 out of a 1911 I would go with a single stack in .40. You can run division capacity at 10 rounds (which is a very slight advantage to 11 rounds). You can make minor loads that shoot as flat if not flatter than 9mm. Any steel frame will do. I like the Clark/Para ramp.
          This gun in .40 would be the end all be all ESP gun. IMHO.
          ~ ~

          Comment

          • #6
            IPSICK
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • 4259

            Originally posted by bombmaster
            If you want to shoot any caliber other than .45 out of a 1911 I would go with a single stack in .40. You can run division capacity at 10 rounds (which is a very slight advantage to 11 rounds). You can make minor loads that shoot as flat if not flatter than 9mm. Any steel frame will do. I like the Clark/Para ramp.
            This gun in .40 would be the end all be all ESP gun. IMHO.
            That gun in any caliber would be awesome. Unfortunately, Infinity does not sell frame kits and a complete gun is $$$$.
            "When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

            "Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X

            Comment

            • #7
              uscbigdawg
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2007
              • 1869

              STI Master Class frame is sweet! Standard 1911 dimensions except a square trigger guard. Let me know if you want it or any other STI goodies. My sponsor is a stocking STI dealer. Whatever he doesn't have, he can get in less than a week.

              Rich
              "Speed is a tactic!" - R.W.

              "Pressure is what you feel when you don't know what you're doing." - Chuck Knox

              "The callus on my finger is from my trigger, not the keyboard!" - Rob Leatham

              Comment

              • #8
                TMC
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 2348

                Originally posted by SGGear

                TMC - whats a good frame to work on for IDPA single stack gun?

                Also, for the STI frame.. is the 38 super the ideal caliber to go with? What do you think about a 9 mm 1911 for IDPA? I reload too many different calibers right now and I really dont want to add another (38 super).
                Any frame would be ok, Caspian, STI (they make a single stack), Wilson, etc.

                Frames are not caliber specific no matter who makes them, its the slide that is.

                STI sells "Slide to Frame kits" which include a frame and a slide which is fit to it at the factory. The 38 Super Slide to Frame kits not only works for Super but also 9mm (so you don't have to deal with Super). They also sell a long dustcover Slide to Frame kit that comes with a 40 cal. slide.

                IDPA has different divisions and some have specific caliber requirements. You may want to decide which division you want to shoot before buying a gun.

                If your buddy already has the 38 Super set up, get it. It can be made into what ever you want.

                If you don't know what you want and have options and the clock is running out, don't worry about caliber/slide (you can take care of that later). Get bare frames, an STI high-capacity frame with a long-wide dust cover AND a single stack frame both without ramp cuts. With these frames you can build (of have built) any type of high-end custom competition gun you want.

                I could write a novel explaining why the above is what you want but I'm tired and don't want to get into the weeds about it.
                where are my pistol mags?

                Comment

                • #9
                  SGGear
                  Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • 395

                  Thanks for the help! That Infinity is one sexy gun. However, I do want to build from scratch.

                  Uscbigdawg - I may contact you for that discount!

                  I ve decided to stick with the STI frame. Either STI high cap frame or a single stack frame. Thanks for the advice everyone.
                  "Blaming guns for murder is like blaming spoons for fat people"

                  ..

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1