Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

3 gun scoring problem

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • hexrob
    Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 266

    3 gun scoring problem

    I shot a match yesterday that had a very high round count per stage. It was limited to 90 seconds, and very few people managed to finish within the 90 seconds. The penalty for a failure to engage was 15 sec. and failure to neutralize was 5 seconds. I noticed people shooting at many targets just to avoid the failure to engage penalty without even aiming. I don't see how that makes you better than the guy below you in the standings. I am just a beginner, but I shoot matches to get better with my weapons. What good does it do to place higher in the match if all you are doing is playing the strategy game?
    http://www.seraphicpress.com/jew-without-a-gun/
  • #2
    CDP45
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 97

    Look at the last word on your thread. (Game). Strategy plays a big part in playing the (Game). Playing the Game will get you more proficient with your weapon of choice. Just remember playing the Game is much different than real world scenarios. By playing the Game you will know how to manipulate your weapon of choice in the event you have some type of malfunction in real life. Enjoy it and appreciate the practice.

    Comment

    • #3
      fawndog
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Nov 2003
      • 856

      Yes, get comfortable with the "GAMING" and don't fret much over scores.

      Comment

      • #4
        Religious Shooter
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2007
        • 602

        Probably 99% of the rounds expended in war don't hit jack. Those 99% are made to make people duck/supress fire (so a destroying element can maneuver) ... make 'em scared and run away... etc.

        It's not always about hitting.

        As W would say... Strategery.

        Comment

        • #5
          Religious Shooter
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2007
          • 602

          And I guess maybe somebody doesn't realize that not engaging (without a penalty) is a gamer strategy.

          Part of the reasoning for the penalty is to help stop gaming it by not engaging targets.

          Comment

          • #6
            hexrob
            Member
            • Apr 2010
            • 266

            I would understand if it was a professional match, but not a local match. You don't improve by just pulling the trigger.
            http://www.seraphicpress.com/jew-without-a-gun/

            Comment

            • #7
              CDP45
              Junior Member
              • Dec 2008
              • 97

              Honestly it matters what you are looking for. If you want tactical training then I recommend using simunition rounds and train hard against an apponent. If you want to just throw rounds down range against a timer then play the game. Just remember there is strategy in both.

              Comment

              • #8
                dwalker
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2014
                • 2714

                Throwing a shot on the general direction of a target is not engaging it, some attempt to aim must be made. At the Area2 a few years ago several limited shooters planed to just snap of two rounds at the longer range targets and call that engaged, and the MD have then the penalties they deserved.
                Fear is the spare change that will keep you broke

                Call him run-like-hell-when-shtf-guy or dial-911-guy but NEVER call an unarmed man "Security".

                Comment

                • #9
                  mjmagee67
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2011
                  • 2771

                  I would be madder about the piss poor stage design. If you design a stage that most people can't finish you need to learn to design stages. A local match is a lot different than the National Championship. A stage can be designed to be challenging to both new and pro shooters.

                  I also don't know how you can assign a FTE penalty if someone just "seems" to wing a shot in the direction? How would you know if a person truely aimed while on the move or just sent the down range. Especially on a long or very hard shot.
                  If you want change you have to put in your 2 cents, you can't just sit on the sidelines and whine.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    TomMcC
                    Senior Member
                    • Sep 2007
                    • 1203

                    Originally posted by hexrob
                    I shot a match yesterday that had a very high round count per stage. It was limited to 90 seconds, and very few people managed to finish within the 90 seconds. The penalty for a failure to engage was 15 sec. and failure to neutralize was 5 seconds. I noticed people shooting at many targets just to avoid the failure to engage penalty without even aiming. I don't see how that makes you better than the guy below you in the standings. I am just a beginner, but I shoot matches to get better with my weapons. What good does it do to place higher in the match if all you are doing is playing the strategy game?
                    I was at the match you're speaking of. Take heart, this was the only match I have shot there that has been like this. With 70-90 people shooting it's an imperative to limit the time so the match can be completed. From my perspective, this didn't work work out so well. Some of us lobbied for an additional 30 sec so the stages at least were doable for most. It wasn't to be.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Mazdaspeed Jon
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2011
                      • 863

                      Typically the only stages where people have time-out issues are on the stages with long range rifle targets because people will go to war with every target. After the first "time-out," people learn to put 5 shots on target and then move on. Your first match can definitely be a humbling experience if you've never shot against the clock before.
                      sigpic
                      USPSA# TY83392 - Limited A/PCC B/Limited-10 B/Production B/Single Stack B
                      Follow me on Facebook
                      Visit the Deadwood Boys Club Page for DWB USPSA matches held every 1st and 3rd Sunday, URL Rifle Match held on the 2nd Sunday, and UML Multi-Gun Match held on the 4th Sunday in Lake Piru, CA (Near Los Angeles/Ventura)

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        TomMcC
                        Senior Member
                        • Sep 2007
                        • 1203

                        I would point out that 2 of the stages were bears. Stage 6 was over 50 rds if I remember correctly. The best shooters were sometimes barely making the time usually with some penalties. Probably only 20% of the shooters made the time and nobody cleaned it. I was the first guy up on my squad for that one, and promptly showed everyone what NOT to do. Had an especially wretched plan. Even though I'm a bit of a geezer, I still manged 21st out of 75 guys. Pretty normal for me these days.
                        Last edited by TomMcC; 03-13-2017, 2:19 PM.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Mazdaspeed Jon
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2011
                          • 863

                          Originally posted by TomMcC
                          I would point out that 2 of the stages were bears. Stage 6 was over 50 rds if I remember correctly. The best shooters were sometimes barely making the time usually with some penalties. Probably only 20% of the shooters made the time and nobody cleaned it. I was the first guy up on my squad for that one, and promptly showed everyone what NOT to do. Had an especially wretched plan. Even though I'm a bit of a geezer, I still manged 21st out of 75 guys. Pretty normal for me these days.
                          Was this at the TTI Rifle match?
                          sigpic
                          USPSA# TY83392 - Limited A/PCC B/Limited-10 B/Production B/Single Stack B
                          Follow me on Facebook
                          Visit the Deadwood Boys Club Page for DWB USPSA matches held every 1st and 3rd Sunday, URL Rifle Match held on the 2nd Sunday, and UML Multi-Gun Match held on the 4th Sunday in Lake Piru, CA (Near Los Angeles/Ventura)

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Religious Shooter
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2007
                            • 602

                            WEGC. The last 3G match in northern So Cal after this Sunday.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Gryff
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • May 2006
                              • 12693

                              Originally posted by hexrob
                              I don't see how that makes you better than the guy below you in the standings.
                              Yeah, but you are talking the difference between 25th and 30th place. The point of the stage is to drive it hard. Only guys who can be fast and accurate are going to win or place high. Someone who "games" it to place better than you should not be one of your concerns. You should be worried about what you have to do to reach 5th place rather than 25th.
                              My friends and family disavow all knowledge of my existence, let alone my opinions.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1