Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Right Hand Left Eye Dominant

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 2new
    Banned
    • Dec 2008
    • 431

    Right Hand Left Eye Dominant

    I hope this is the right forum. If your right hand and left eye dominant, how do you overcome this obstacle? Is there any exercise or training that can be done, any classes out there?
  • #2
    JeffM
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2007
    • 4359

    Shoot like a gangsta

    Comment

    • #3
      wildhawker
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Nov 2008
      • 14150

      Originally posted by 2new
      I hope this is the right forum. If your right hand and left eye dominant, how do you overcome this obstacle? Is there any exercise or training that can be done, any classes out there?
      Wife's left eye-right hand as well. She's training her right eye by taping the left lens of her shooting glasses with making tape. If you learn to shoot both (and keep both eyes open) it will be a huge benefit to quickly acquiring a sight picture and awareness of the stage.
      Brandon Combs

      I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

      My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.

      Comment

      • #4
        jrsportssupply
        Member
        • Sep 2007
        • 314

        Many people tell you to shoot left-handed. That doesn't work for me, so I shoot right-handed. When pistol shooting, I align the gun with my left eye. A little awkward at first, but a LOT better for me than trying to shoot left-handed.
        When shooting rifle or shotgun, I use my right eye. After a while, my brain gets confused on which eye is dominant, so my binocular vision is blurry for a while after shooting. It's an acceptable compromise for me.
        sigpic
        J&R Sports Supply LLC
        2558 B Old First St
        Livermore CA 9550
        925-443-9691
        Sales@jrguns.com
        www.jrguns.com

        Comment

        • #5
          Fjold
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Oct 2005
          • 23062

          I seen it recommended to take opaque tape and cover the left eye glass enough to where light can get through but not enough to let your eye focus on anything. Supposedly this makes the brain change the focus (dominance) to the other eye.

          I don't know if it works, I read it on the internet.
          Frank

          One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375




          Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF

          Comment

          • #6
            oldschool88
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2008
            • 787

            What exactly would be the downfall of this anyway? Does it affect ones aim?

            Comment

            • #7
              Matt C
              Calguns Addict
              • Feb 2006
              • 7128

              +1 for tape to train your eye, that's how we did it in the army also.
              I do not provide legal services or practice law (yet).

              The troublemaker formerly known as Blackwater OPS.

              Comment

              • #8
                Bend
                Member
                • Feb 2009
                • 204

                Shut the left eye when aiming!
                "If you don't have 1000 rnds of ammo for every firearm you own, you have failed in your duty as a member of the human race." - FWB

                Comment

                • #9
                  Bobotheclown
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2008
                  • 718

                  I'm the same. I ended up closing my closing my right eye when shooting my handgun and closing my left eye when I shoot my rifle... I used a 22 rifle to train myself to close my left eye when shooting a rifle/shotgun

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    CamW
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 1714

                    I'm right hand and left eyed, I shoot left hand, rifle and pistol.My shooting partner is right hand, left eyed, he shoots pistol right hand, leans his head over to aim with his left eye.He shoots rifle right hand, aims with his right eye. It works for him, he has a High Master card for NRA Action Pistol and does very well in 1000 yard benchrest and F Class.
                    Last edited by CamW; 02-15-2009, 11:31 PM.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Eric_Oh
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2008
                      • 789

                      Originally posted by jrsportssupply
                      Many people tell you to shoot left-handed. That doesn't work for me, so I shoot right-handed. When pistol shooting, I align the gun with my left eye. A little awkward at first, but a LOT better for me than trying to shoot left-handed.
                      When shooting rifle or shotgun, I use my right eye. After a while, my brain gets confused on which eye is dominant, so my binocular vision is blurry for a while after shooting. It's an acceptable compromise for me.
                      I do pretty much the same thing. YOu only have to rotate your head a little bit to align your left eye with the sights.
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        MarkF45
                        Junior Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • 21

                        I am left-eyed and right-handed. The solution to this "problem" is to use your dominant eye and hand. So your hand is slightly to the left of where it would be if you used your right eye. So what? I've been doing it this way for 30 years. I have shot NRA bullseye, IPSC, IDPA, UIT/ISSF, IHMSA, PPC, and other stuff, and I've never had a problem.

                        Taping over your dominant eye is an ignorant idea, favored only by people who are freaked out by the idea of somebody else being different. It's one step above punishing children for being left-handed.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          crowbar
                          Senior Member
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 561

                          Luckily, I am right eyed and right handed. I do know of a couple right handed, left eye dominant Palma shooters, and they both shoot south paw with no problems. Another shooter lost much of his right eye vision and continues to shoot (Palma and NRA long range) right handed with iron sights cantilevered to align with his left eye. Adapt and overcome.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            cheese
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2007
                            • 787

                            I am left hand/right eye dominant. Pistols i still shoot left. Rifles i shoot right

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Eric_Oh
                              Senior Member
                              • Mar 2008
                              • 789

                              ... either way though.... don't we all agree that we should be proficient with both hands??
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1