Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Shooting weak hand and unsupported

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Divehobo
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 1271

    Shooting weak hand and unsupported

    During training, how many of you regularly practice shooting weak hand or weak hand unsupported? I used to go to the range and shoot mainly dominant and supported but recently due to an injury, I have not been able to shoot dominant or supported.

    Once I realized it was going to take a bit to work through injury, I came to conclusion if I was going to keep shooting, I had no choice but to figure weak hand and unsupported out. Initially, I had issues, man it sucked. It was a quick step backwards about twenty years. I thought about all the times while at the range, I had looked at the person in the next lane overs target and thinking, what the heck are they shooting at? I quickly realized I was back to being that guy. Not saying I am a great shot by any stretch but I can typically hit what I am shooting at.

    Fast forward three months and about seven trips to the range. Unsupported weak hand now is not so bad. Still not even close to before but comfort level has increased significantly. Today I spent three hours at Los Altos RnG shooting and I have to say, its getting easier and groups are starting to appear obvious. Still had difficulty at 15 yards but all rounds on paper. Still remember not too long ago, shots from 7 yrds looked worse.

    Guess what I am saying is you have to stretch your time at the range. You never know when your going to knocked off your game or a fluke injury will prevent you from doing what you like. I wish I had started weak hand when it was not a necessity. Push your training. It definitely makes range time more interesting.
    Last edited by Divehobo; 09-16-2015, 5:22 AM.
    NRA Pistol, Rifle, CCW and Metallic Reloading instructor
  • #2
    Pandanin
    • Jun 2011
    • 643

    Make sure you change it up occasionally and practice weak-side offhand as well. You never know if/when you'll need it.

    One advantage of IPSC competition is that many stages are setup to challenge your weak-side regardless if you are left or right handed.

    Comment

    • #3
      Divehobo
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2010
      • 1271

      It has been nothing but weak hand unsupported for the last three months. Starting to have fun with it.
      NRA Pistol, Rifle, CCW and Metallic Reloading instructor

      Comment

      • #4
        fritztkatt
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2015
        • 1061

        I try to shoot about 1/4 to 1/3 of my practice range time with my right hand. I'm fairly ambidextrous, so it's not a giant leap, but definitely hindered by using my right hand.

        The sdts idpa matches are usually set up so you are going 50/50 strong weak. Not that you have to pass the gun off, but at least have an "easy" side, and an opposite "hard" so it's fair to left or right handers.

        Comment

        • #5
          rmatt
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2012
          • 1057

          Every week, no matter what. My whole plan is to eliminate any weakness in my shooting, so everything is a strength.
          Competition is where you find out you're slow, can't see well, are not accurate, have poor gun handling, can't visualize, have equipment that doesn't work and either accept it OR DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
          USPSA TY82278
          IDPA A54426

          Comment

          • #6
            FresnoRob
            Senior Member
            • May 2013
            • 2133

            Every time I practice, I shoot some rounds one handed with both hands. It is not safe to assume you will have the use of both hands in a gun fight.

            Comment

            • #7
              Mayor McRifle
              Calguns Addict
              • Dec 2013
              • 7771

              Originally posted by FresnoRob
              Every time I practice, I shoot some rounds one handed with both hands.
              Same here. It's become so much a part of my routine that it doesn't feel right if I don't. With rifles, I try to shoot some rounds while seated (on the ground), off one knee, and from a prone position when the situation allows it, but at the very least I always make a point to lift the gun off the sand bag and shoot with just my elbows on the table, and no matter what, I always shoot a good portion of my rounds while standing. It's interesting, because after I stand up, I always see some other shooters follow suit. This is good, IMO, because the real world doesn't come with bench rests.
              Anchors Aweigh

              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                milotrain
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2011
                • 4301

                This post needs more hardball.

                Last edited by milotrain; 09-12-2015, 1:12 PM.
                weg: That device is obsolete now. They replaced it with wizards.
                frank: Wait a minute. There are more than one wizard? Is [are?] the wizard calibrated?

                Comment

                • #9
                  uhlan1
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Aug 2012
                  • 6217

                  Originally posted by HopetonBrown
                  An easy 50 round course of fire anyone can do at their local range is Dot Torture:



                  When the instructions call for a draw, just pick your gat off the table. I can't imagine a range would care that you're reloading from the belt. Start at 3 yards.

                  A dedicated shooter should practice strong hand only, weak hand only, timed drills and 25 yard shots every range session.
                  Interesting, thanks. Going to try it.
                  "Hence it happened that all the armed prophets conquered, all the unarmed perished." - Niccolo Machiavelli

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    OpenSightsOnly
                    Senior Member
                    • Sep 2009
                    • 1557

                    Originally posted by Divehobo
                    During training, how many of you regularly practice shooting off hand or off hand unsupported? I used to go to the range and shoot mainly dominant and supported but recently due to an injury, I have not been able to shoot dominant or supported.

                    Once I realized it was going to take a bit to work through injury, I came to conclusion if I was going to keep shooting, I had no choice but to figure off hand and unsupported out. Initially, I had issues, man it sucked. It was a quick step backwards about twenty years. I thought about all the times while at the range, I had looked at the person in the next lane overs target and thinking, what the heck are they shooting at? I quickly realized I was back to being that guy. Not saying I am a great shot by any stretch but I can typically hit what I am shooting at.

                    Fast forward three months and about seven trips to the range. Unsupported off hand now is not so bad. Still not even close to before but comfort level has increased significantly. Today I spent three hours at Los Altos RnG shooting and I have to say, its getting easier and groups are starting to appear obvious. Still had difficulty at 15 yards but all rounds on paper. Still remember not too long ago, shots from 7 yrds looked worse.

                    Guess what I am saying is you have to stretch your time at the range. You never know when your going to knocked off your game or a fluke injury will prevent you from doing what you like. I wish I had started off hand when it was not a necessity. Push your training. It definitely makes range time more interesting.

                    Keep it simple and cheap - DRY FIRE, DRY FIRE, AND MOAR DRY FIRE

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Divehobo
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2010
                      • 1271

                      Can definitely see merit to training both strong, weak, supported and unsupported, doubt I will ever go back to the "easy" way only. With the improved pistol fire, I now realize I will need to start doing the same thing with a rifle shouldered weak side. I love how this sport, hobby, pastime, training keeps reinventing itself and challenging me.
                      NRA Pistol, Rifle, CCW and Metallic Reloading instructor

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        reckoner
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2011
                        • 721

                        I practice SHO and WHO in pretty much every dry fire and live fire session.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Eljay
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 4985

                          I shoot quite a bit of strong hand only and am pretty OK with it. Weak hand I don't really train but I'll do a magazine or two every trip to maintain some kind of basic not-total-suckatude. I should probably do more. Shooting a plate rack weak hand is a real eye opener...

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Divehobo
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2010
                            • 1271

                            Realized today I was meaning weak hand and writing off hand instead....Doh! Boy, on the motorcycle forum, I would have been branded a "dumbass" amazed non one called me out
                            NRA Pistol, Rifle, CCW and Metallic Reloading instructor

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Ronin2
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2011
                              • 5563

                              Originally posted by HopetonBrown
                              I don't see the point of shooting weak hand supported.
                              ^^^ This....

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1