Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Lee factory crimp die question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • opos
    In Memoriam
    • Oct 2009
    • 1597

    Lee factory crimp die question

    can loaded cartridges be "re run" in the Lee factory crimp die with the adjustment set to give a tighter roll crimp (45 Colt)? I got "tricky" with my standard loading and backed off the amount of roll crimp the die makes in an effort to not work the brass so hard and the resulting "light roll crimp" cartridges are much dirtier than the ones I've always loaded (there is always some soot from the cases not expanding fully but this is much worse)...Everything else is the same except the crimp

    I just didn't know for sure if re running the loaded cartridges with a tighter crimp setting would have any other unwanted effect or if it will just tighten up the roll crimp without any bad side effects.

    Don't want to get into a FCD discussion...lots of folks don't like them and I understand that..my only concern is damaging the rounds if I "re process" them in the die..

    Thanks
    God and the Constitution give me my rights and actions...any other input is just blabbering.
  • #2
    DougJ
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2009
    • 1812

    It's your last stage, you can run back though again with no ill effects at all. Obviously make your adjustment a little at a time until you get what you want, then run all your competed ammo through just the FCD at the new setting.
    01001001 00100000 01110111 01101001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01001110 01001111 00100000 01001100 01001111 01001110 01000111 01000101 01010010 00100000 01100011 01101111 01101101 01110000 01101100 01111001

    Comment

    • #3
      opos
      In Memoriam
      • Oct 2009
      • 1597

      I was pretty sure that was the deal...I just didn't want to tear down a hundred rounds or so...Just didn't want to cause a "double crimp" or a wavy crimp pattern...I was going to re crimp some and shoot them when I hit the range the next time but figured if someone could weigh in I might just go ahead and do the whole batch..

      I'm not playing with much pressure here...6 grains of Trail Boss in a 45 Colt under a 200 grain soft lead bullet is a mouse fart load..just didn't want to ruin the cases for the next go around...

      The old saying "if you make any changes..do a few and try it" just got lost in this case and I ran a whole batch with the lighter crimp..thanks for the input..
      God and the Constitution give me my rights and actions...any other input is just blabbering.

      Comment

      • #4
        Divernhunter
        Calguns Addict
        • May 2010
        • 8753

        You will work the bras more when you flare the cases for inserting the bullet than any crimp will do.
        I doubt you will ever need to worry about "over working" the pistol brass especially with light loads. Usually the primer pockets wear out before the case mouth or sides even with high pressure loads in straight wall brass.
        A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
        NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
        SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

        Comment

        Working...
        UA-8071174-1