Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Most verstatile shotshell powder?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • shoebox56
    Member
    • Feb 2012
    • 368

    Most verstatile shotshell powder?

    I did a cursory search (probably using the wrong search term) and not seeing anything that pops out. Hodgdon Clay comes up a lot, but not specific to versatility. Is my question even valid?

    I'm just starting to venture into shotshell reloading. Got the Lyman Shotshell Handbook on order. No specific goals, mainly goofing off at the range.

    Thanks.
    Use GAB.COM
  • #2
    JagerDog
    I need a LIFE!!
    • May 2011
    • 15678

    Target/small birds takes a different powder than heavier hunting loads to remain somewhere "efficient".

    Need to define your "range" of versatile. Several will cover 7/8's to 1-1/8 oz in 12g with reasonable efficiency. Red Dot/Promo, 700X to name a couple.
    Palestine is a fake country

    No Mas Hamas



    #Blackolivesmatter

    Comment

    • #3
      BigBronco also not a Cabinetguy
      Calguns Addict
      • Jul 2009
      • 7079

      I have loaded with Red dot for 30 plus years. A great powder and good in pistols also.
      "Life is a long song" Jethro Tull

      Comment

      • #4
        shoebox56
        Member
        • Feb 2012
        • 368

        Thanks for the responses so far. If I had to narrow down my range, I guess powder that would cycle my Saiga 12 in both light load (setting 2) and heavy load (setting 1). I also have a pump & coach gun, but I guess those aren't too picky.
        Last edited by shoebox56; 01-07-2015, 12:06 AM. Reason: correction
        Use GAB.COM

        Comment

        • #5
          nothing4u
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2006
          • 1378

          Heavy loads / high velocity, Longshot or Blue Dot. Best performance out of steel for hunting, Alliant STEEL.
          Politicians should only be allowed one term in office, then one term in jail.

          Comment

          • #6
            rsrocket1
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2010
            • 2772

            Really depends on what you'll be shooting. Red Dot will launch any load from 3/4 oz to 1-1/8 oz, slugs and buckshot. It will work efficiently with the lighter loads. The compromise is that it won't shoot the big loads very fast.

            Slower powders like Unique, Blue Dot, etc will shoot the big loads nice and fast but will do a terrible job with light loads (smokey sooty shots with lots of unburned flakes and bloopers).

            Clays is also a good powder. A little faster than Red Dot and it does burn more completely at lower pressures, but it is a little more expensive than Red Dot and unobtainable at this time. It hasn't been around for nearly a year but might be available in the next few months.

            Comment

            • #7
              3RDGEARGRNDRR
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2011
              • 900

              700-X
              CA: Exorcising my 2A rights

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1