Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

30-06 subsonic / reduced load question ???

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    bruceflinch
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2006
    • 40155

    I've used the Trailboss powder with much success, but not for hunting.
    In my Experience with 30-06 bolt Rifles ( M1917 & M1903A3), the bullet drop between 100 & 200 yards is so significant, I would not consider it for hunting. IIRC the adjustment of the elevation on the rear sight was about 400 yds different from a target @ 50 yd vs a target @ 100 yds.

    I live in the East SF Bay Area. I'll be glad to give you enough Trail Boss to load 25 rounds so you can check it out. PM me if interested.

    Last time I saw it on a shelf was at AAA Firearms in Vallejo. But that has been awhile. I usually special order it thru my gun club.
    Actually I only started collecting Milsurps 3 years ago. I think I might own about 24...They're cheaper than guns that will most likely never get the opportunity to kill somebody...

    I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

    Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

    Secret Club Member?.

    Comment

    • #17
      PAV
      Member
      • Apr 2009
      • 168

      Thank you. I really appreciate your offer.
      Thanks

      Comment

      • #18
        rm1911
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2013
        • 4073

        Originally posted by PAV
        Thanks a lot for the info.
        I am thinking to use Unique and spears 168 or 180gr sp. This is what I have now. I read a a lot about Trailboss. If anyone have some for sale in SF pl let me know.

        Few more questions.
        #1. Is subsonic round powerful enough for hunting 100 - 200 yards?
        #2. Should I use filler and if yes what should be used?

        Thank you
        you most likely won't get subsonic with trail boss. probably somewhere between 1300-1500fps, which is super, but not by a whole lot. also, TB you start at 70% case capacity. it's fairly bulky but I don't know I'd go much below the 70% starting point. although the 70% load would be pretty close to sub.

        for true subsonic you'd need lead bullets at the least. you're talking velocities which begin to make it hard for a jacketed bullet to get out the barrel. it's one thing in a 4" revolver, it's another in a 22" rifle. and besides the lead, you'll want a pistol powder like unique or bullseye which will work well at the lower charges and velocities.

        however, hunting with lead is not legal, at least for deer, etc. as for small game, I don' t know if lead is acceptable. unless there's a reason for the subsonic part, don't worry about it. my 11 year old son shot 30 rounds of trail boss boss loaded 150's and didn't feel a bit sore. more like shooting a 22 than anything.
        NRA Life Member since 1990

        They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

        Comment

        Working...
        UA-8071174-1