Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Are reloads bad for the firearm?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mr.RoDiN
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2006
    • 934

    Are reloads bad for the firearm?

    When I first started shooting, about ten years ago, I would feed nothing but new, factory rounds through my firearms. As ammo prices got higher, I started using reloads on certain guns (glocks). I know my glocks will eat anything. As time went by, I started buying factory reload, .223's for my AR. The only three firearms I will neve use reloads for, and this is a personal choice, is my 308 bolt, 223 bolt and my P7M8. I forgot to mention I buy CCI mini mags for my 10/22 and sig mosquito. So here are my questions.
    1.Is it ok to use remington factory reloads for the AR?
    2. Is it ok to use reloads through my H&K Usp expert .45?
    Why do some people not think its a good idea to use reloads? Is there anything wrong with using reloads?
    "Calguns, where we show our opponents our hand, tell them our next move and expect to win."
  • #2
    bigmike82
    Bit Pusher
    CGN Contributor
    • Jan 2008
    • 3876

    Absolutely not.

    The only time when reloads can be bad is when you start exceeding recomended pressures. That can wear the gun faster (not to mention causing damage of various kinds) and is generally bad IF the gun is not designed for it.

    Some of the guys with more experience will give further advice when they get around.
    -- 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

    Comment

    • #3
      ocabj
      Calguns Addict
      • Oct 2005
      • 7924

      I'm the other way around. I think it's bad to use factory ammo.

      Seriously, I've got guns and/or barrels that have never taken a factory round. Pretty much all the guns I've bought since 2003 have never fired factory ammo.

      Well, the Glock 27 I bought a couple months ago is the exception. I didn't want to take the time to develop a 'self-defense' handload. I just bought SXTs for it and that was it.

      As far as my choice of using my own loads, it's simply because I know my loads are excellent quality. Especially the ammo I load for competition. I know my competition handloads allow my rifles to perform at peak capability because they are tuned for my guns.

      Distinguished Rifleman #1924
      NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
      NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

      https://www.ocabj.net

      Comment

      • #4
        Mr.RoDiN
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2006
        • 934

        Originally posted by ocabj
        I'm the other way around. I think it's bad to use factory ammo.

        Seriously, I've got guns and/or barrels that have never taken a factory round. Pretty much all the guns I've bought since 2003 have never fired factory ammo.

        Well, the Glock 27 I bought a couple months ago is the exception. I didn't want to take the time to develop a 'self-defense' handload. I just bought SXTs for it and that was it.

        As far as my choice of using my own loads, it's simply because I know my loads are excellent quality. Especially the ammo I load for competition. I know my competition handloads allow my rifles to perform at peak capability because they are tuned for my guns.
        Heres the deal though. I don't reload myself. I usually buy reloads. My .223's are all remington factory reloads. My handgun ammo is from Harry. A guy who is always at the glendale gun shows. I have neve once had a bad experience with his ammo. And Ive bought well over 10,000, rounds from him. Ive just heard horror stories of casings expanding because of it being previously shot and the dimensions never get back to the exact size and it can loosen up the internals of the gun. Old wives tale?
        "Calguns, where we show our opponents our hand, tell them our next move and expect to win."

        Comment

        • #5
          dustoff31
          Calguns Addict
          • Apr 2007
          • 8209

          Originally posted by Mr.RoDiN
          Ive just heard horror stories of casings expanding because of it being previously shot and the dimensions never get back to the exact size and it can loosen up the internals of the gun. Old wives tale?
          Any case will expand when fired to fit the chamber of the weapon that fired it. You may have heard of the term "fire-forming."

          Particulary in commercial reloading, cases are resized to standard as a part of the reloading process so it really isn't an issue. Sometimes handloaders like to use the fire formed cases and resize only the neck to hold the bullet.
          Last edited by dustoff31; 10-01-2008, 10:38 PM.
          "Did I say "republic?" By God, yes, I said "republic!" Long live the glorious republic of the United States of America. Damn democracy. It is a fraudulent term used, often by ignorant persons but no less often by intellectual fakers, to describe an infamous mixture of socialism, miscegenation, graft, confiscation of property and denial of personal rights to individuals whose virtuous principles make them offensive." - Westbrook Pegler

          Comment

          • #6
            ocabj
            Calguns Addict
            • Oct 2005
            • 7924

            Oh, well in that case, I'm not a fan of shooting 'other' people's reloads.

            As far as commercial reloads, aka 'remanufactured', the level of trust depends on the manufacturer.

            *Lots* of people seem to put a lot of faith in smaller operations who sell reloads.

            Will those reloads cause extra wear on your gun? Simple answer is no. The main thing you should be worried about is a catastrophic malfunction of the ammo.

            Distinguished Rifleman #1924
            NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
            NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

            https://www.ocabj.net

            Comment

            • #7
              Splinter
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2007
              • 513

              So far, I have had several bad rounds that were factory new. They are all loaded the same way. Things can get messed up first time around.

              Comment

              • #8
                Mr.RoDiN
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2006
                • 934

                Originally posted by ocabj

                Will those reloads cause extra wear on your gun? Simple answer is no. The main thing you should be worried about is a catastrophic malfunction of the ammo.
                Right, thats my concern. Because I have heard factory ammo being defective as well. So I figure, if its a dependable source, I should be ok. I really have to start reloading myself! Two things stop me. 1. I dont have alot of space in the house. 2. Its very time consuming. You see I usually have the boob tube on while cleaning firearms. But I would never watch t.v while reloading. I feel you have to concentrate a 110% Or somebody can get hurt real bad. Or worste...
                "Calguns, where we show our opponents our hand, tell them our next move and expect to win."

                Comment

                • #9
                  bigmike82
                  Bit Pusher
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Jan 2008
                  • 3876

                  If you're low on space, go the Lee Hand Press route. I've got all my reloading components in a single milk crate under my desk.
                  -- 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    jandmtv
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Oct 2007
                    • 5800

                    Originally posted by Mr.RoDiN
                    Heres the deal though. I don't reload myself. I usually buy reloads. My .223's are all remington factory reloads. My handgun ammo is from Harry. A guy who is always at the glendale gun shows. I have neve once had a bad experience with his ammo. And Ive bought well over 10,000, rounds from him. Ive just heard horror stories of casings expanding because of it being previously shot and the dimensions never get back to the exact size and it can loosen up the internals of the gun. Old wives tale?
                    I have shot a lot of Harrys reloads, not 1 bad round so far. He is my only source for .40 cal, and I used to buy .223 reloads from him for $220 per 1K. But now I reload my own .223. I still get .40 cal from Harry. Cant beat his prices.
                    Looking for RPR or Precision Rifle Accessories? Check out Anarchy Outdoors. http://www.anarchyoutdoors.com?afmc=1w

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      CSACANNONEER
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Dec 2006
                      • 44094

                      Originally posted by Mr.RoDiN
                      Heres the deal though. I don't reload myself. I usually buy reloads. My .223's are all remington factory reloads. My handgun ammo is from Harry. A guy who is always at the glendale gun shows. I have neve once had a bad experience with his ammo. And Ive bought well over 10,000, rounds from him. Ive just heard horror stories of casings expanding because of it being previously shot and the dimensions never get back to the exact size and it can loosen up the internals of the gun. Old wives tale?
                      The only safety problems I've had with ammo has been two ruptured cases about 18 years apart and from different brands and calibers of FACTORY ammo. I could have lost my eye while I was shooting Elley .22lr from a bolt gun. the safety of the ammo you are shooting should be more of a concern than if somehow oversized brass will wear out steel parts faster. BTW, brass is much softer than steel so, it isn't going to happen!
                      NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                      California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                      Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                      Utah CCW Instructor


                      Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                      sigpic
                      CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                      KM6WLV

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        freakshow10mm
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2008
                        • 3061

                        I don't shoot factory (save for .22 LR). All my guns get my handloads. Period.

                        I supply three local police departments with training ammunition. I supply one training facility with ammunition in Florida. Few commercial sales here and there. One of my most popular services is reloading customer brass. Rolling up some 150gr SP for my credit union manager's 30-06.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Mr.RoDiN
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 934

                          Originally posted by jandmtv
                          I have shot a lot of Harrys reloads, not 1 bad round so far. He is my only source for .40 cal, and I used to buy .223 reloads from him for $220 per 1K. But now I reload my own .223. I still get .40 cal from Harry. Cant beat his prices.
                          Harry Supplies .223? Im going to have to have a talk with him! He truly has great prices. His stuff is dependable.
                          "Calguns, where we show our opponents our hand, tell them our next move and expect to win."

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Timberwolf
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Oct 2004
                            • 6275

                            I have rifles that have only reloads through them from beakin to present, my own reloads though. If I had a choice between someone elses reloads and factory I'd shoot factory.
                            I'm only smiling at you while you talk to me because it's hilarious that you really think I give a crap about you.

                            As I've gotten older I thought I was gaining patience, then I realized I simply don't give a crap.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Snapping Twig
                              Senior Member
                              • Jun 2007
                              • 2108

                              No one has mentioned it yet, so here's something to consider.

                              Lead bullets should be avoided in polygonal rifled barrels, check your barrels.

                              Other than that, so long as the loads are within SAAMI specs, you're good to go.

                              Other than my .22LR stuff, my firearms don't know what a factory load looks like.
                              Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1