Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Cow Palace a good bet for reloading components?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Cranium
    Member
    • Oct 2006
    • 346

    Cow Palace a good bet for reloading components?

    Hello all-
    I'm totally new to reloading (don't even have a press yet!) and I'm wondering if the show this weekend would be a good place to look for components, etc. I'd love to find some hardware there, but even if I can just pick up some powder and bullets, I think I'd be ahead of the game since I won't have to factor in shipping, etc.
    I recall seeing some reloading stuff at past shows, but I never paid much attention. Do any of you buy components there?

    Thanks
    Cranium
  • #2
    Python2
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2006
    • 906

    You could buy primers and powder reasonably, thats about it. Reloading equipment? go to Cabelas in Reno or order from Dillon.
    Pinoy Bwana

    Comment

    • #3
      packnrat
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2007
      • 3939

      i do not go to many jerky,,, er. a... i mean gun shows in ca....but a year back at the san jose show i saw a bunch of used presses..
      Last edited by packnrat; 09-24-2008, 1:48 PM.
      big gun's...i love big gun's

      Comment

      • #4
        sorensen440
        Calguns Addict
        • Mar 2007
        • 8612

        be careful buying a press from the show if you are new to reloading as you probably wouldn't be able to tell if parts were missing
        "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

        Comment

        • #5
          kurac
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • 2917

          You can buy components there if Miwall brings their powder and primers this time.
          www.culinagrips.com
          "custom grips for shooters by shooters"

          Comment

          • #6
            mdouglas1980
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2008
            • 871

            yeah plus you may have to start driving further too. I thought they were trying to shut down gun shows at the Cow Palace again.

            Comment

            • #7
              JamesY
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • 2652

              From my experience, i haven't seen any good reloading stuff there in a while. I stopped going for the last several shows though... maybe it changed since more people are starting to roll their own now-a-days

              Comment

              • #8
                anyracoon
                Veteran Member
                • May 2006
                • 3704

                The last time that I was up there at the Cow Palace there was a new vendor near the back close to the MilWal powder table that was selling Dillon presses and accessories.

                Comment

                • #9
                  RogueSniper
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2008
                  • 3749

                  I was at the show this last weekend. Miwall had some components. I bought 8lbs of Winchester 748 rifle powder for $125. That's as good as a price as I've seen. Plus, there was Hodgdon and Unique available, I think. There were Wolf, CCI, and Winchester primers - sorry didn't notice the price, but there was plenty of stock. There were bullets, but not a whole lot. If the bullets are loose and in baggies, like what I saw at the show - ASK which manufacturer it is. Not all 9mm FMJ are the same. There are variations in length, weight, performance. Check the powder. How old is it. Is the seal broken? Check the primers. What brand? How old is it? Is it standard pistol, magnum, rifle, ... That's why I have a shopping/checklist.

                  If you're ready to start, get at least two current reloading manuals. I have the Speer and Hornady books - Hornady has a pistol and rifle load books.

                  Figure out which caliber(s) you plan on reloading. If you want to just reload to save some $$$, then find some powder that will work with most of the calibers you plan to make.

                  Check around the internet to get a baseline price on components.

                  I agree with Sorensen440 about not buying a used press. There was a RCBS, but definitely missing parts. I couldn't tell you what was missing without the instructions. Buy a press from local shop, or a reputable online merchant. If something goes missing or breaks, at least there's some support.

                  I use a Lee Hand Press kit and a Lee Pro 1000 Progressive. The Hand Press Kit looks like a giant nutcracker. I could (but haven't) take it into the field and reload if necessary. I use it to make small batches of 32 Auto and 45 ACP. The Progressive is setup for 9mm and 223 Rem.

                  Start small. Get a press that can be upgraded to a progressive, like the RCBS, that way you can grow into it.

                  The next (?) show is in November, unless the Assembly votes against it. Otherwise, The Big Reno Show in also in November.
                  I'm not having a glass of wine, I'm having SIX. It's called a tasting and it's classy.

                  Active Junky / Dvor
                  TARGET SPORT USA Prime Ammo referral - PM me

                  Stuff for sale:
                  Packer Stock (folding 10/22 stock)
                  Beretta Silver Pigeon SL2 Shotgun (Pump)
                  Kenwood Receiver

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    ocabj
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 7924

                    One of the members at my club's range brought out a brand new in the box RCBS Rockchucker still in the box last Sunday and put a $60 tag on it. I think it sat on the table for a good 3 hours before someone finally bought it.

                    I would have bought it out of principle if no one had bought it before I left the range.

                    Distinguished Rifleman #1924
                    NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
                    NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

                    https://www.ocabj.net

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      RogueSniper
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2008
                      • 3749

                      I got there late on Sunday, around 2:30pm. If I SAW it, I would have bought it, too! Next time I'll keep an eye out for your group!
                      I'm not having a glass of wine, I'm having SIX. It's called a tasting and it's classy.

                      Active Junky / Dvor
                      TARGET SPORT USA Prime Ammo referral - PM me

                      Stuff for sale:
                      Packer Stock (folding 10/22 stock)
                      Beretta Silver Pigeon SL2 Shotgun (Pump)
                      Kenwood Receiver

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        sargenv
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 4620

                        If you pick up a used Dillon at a show, as long as it's not a flavor of a 1050, you can genertally send it back to Dillon for a free tuneup. I'm not certain about RCBS though. I did finally break the priming arm off a 20 year old Rock Chucker and they sent me a new one gratis. I really like good companies!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          firescout
                          Junior Member
                          • Jun 2008
                          • 11

                          Back in the late '80s to early '90s, all of the N. Cal gun shows had a significant number of reloading equipment/supplies vendors, with decent prices. In the several shows I've been to in the last few years, there's hardly anything.

                          I think the online/mail order business cut into the gun show vendors, but powder & primers are costly to ship. Those items at the shows were usually a really good deal.

                          I've found some good retail prices on reloading supplies at the Sportsman's Warehouse in Rocklin.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Cranium
                            Member
                            • Oct 2006
                            • 346

                            Yeah, I picked up some powder and primers. I wish I could've found some bullets, just because I know shipping's going to kill me...
                            Now to get a press!

                            Thanks all for the feedback.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1