Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Is leaving imperial sizing wax after sizing bad?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ZER0_
    Member
    • May 2013
    • 211

    Is leaving imperial sizing wax after sizing bad?

    I'm specifically asking about Imperial sizing wax but I guess it goes for any lube.
    I recently switched to imperial sizing wax (I love the stuff) from the Lee sizing lube.
    I've done it with the Lee sizing lube, it dried up and I never cleaned it off.
    None of my loads seemed to have any problems. I didn't experience any feeding/extracting issues. I do want to make sure though.

    I did a little research and some say that they wipe off the lube with a rag or towel.
    Some put the cases in the tumbler for about 15 minutes, however some of them have said that the media (i use walnut media)
    gets stuck in the flash holes and they have to clear each one. Others don't clean the lube off and report no problems.
    I also read that the lube reduces the friction between chamber and case which can cause unsafe conditions. That sounds entirely plausible.

    So, is it bad to leave the lube on after sizing?
    What if it has already dried up and/or sat for a while?

    Thanks.
  • #2
    'ol shooter
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 4646

    I use Imperial on all my handgun cases, not really slick enough for me on rifle cases. After all loading operations are done, I dump 5 or 6 rounds at a time in a microfiber towel and roll them through my fingers, to take most of the slickness off, then box them up. They always shoot fine.
    sigpic
    Bob B.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Comment

    • #3
      BigBronco also not a Cabinetguy
      Calguns Addict
      • Jul 2009
      • 7079

      First reaction, "Good God man you can't be serious"

      Second reaction.
      "Life is a long song" Jethro Tull

      Comment

      • #4
        buffybuster
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2005
        • 2615

        You need to removed the lube from the case or the case will not be able to grip the chamber walls, greatly increasing the bolt thrust.

        If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to study more on reloading. Having 25,000 - 65,000 psi vessel inches away from your face is nothing to take lightly.
        Luck favors the prepared.

        The original battle plan did not survive initial contact with the enemy.

        "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

        Comment

        • #5
          ZER0_
          Member
          • May 2013
          • 211

          Originally posted by buffybuster
          You need to removed the lube from the case or the case will not be able to grip the chamber walls, greatly increasing the bolt thrust.

          If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to study more on reloading. Having 25,000 - 65,000 psi vessel inches away from your face is nothing to take lightly.
          Alright
          I did some quick reading on bolt thrust. If I understood correctly, if the lube stays the case won't grip the chamber on expansion (like you said) and cause the case to slip rearward, and therefore most of the pressure, towards the bolt face.

          I'll do a bit more reading , but for now it looks like I'll be cleaning the lube off of the cases.

          Thanks buffybuster.

          Comment

          • #6
            ZER0_
            Member
            • May 2013
            • 211

            Originally posted by 'ol shooter
            I use Imperial on all my handgun cases, not really slick enough for me on rifle cases. After all loading operations are done, I dump 5 or 6 rounds at a time in a microfiber towel and roll them through my fingers, to take most of the slickness off, then box them up. They always shoot fine.
            I'll try cleaning them off with a towel.
            If that doesn't work for whatever reason, into the tumbler they go.

            Thank you.

            Comment

            • #7
              G-Man WC
              In Memoriam
              • Oct 2005
              • 10991

              I tumble after lube and resize myself.
              It's a thin line between love and pain at 50,000 psi
              -g
              If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
              -Samuel Adams

              Comment

              • #8
                Mot Mi
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2013
                • 1061

                Haven't used imperial yet as really no need since I just make my own lube. In general, I wipe the lube off after sizing or in the tumbler they go. I do not like the idea of having something in the flash hole so I avoid tumbling most of the time.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Enfield47
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Sep 2012
                  • 6385

                  With Imperial wax I throw the sized cases in the tumbler for about 20 min. I use corn cob media and it does a good job of removing the wax. If the flash holes get media in them, a toothpick pops it right out. If I'm only doing a small batch I'll wipe the wax off with a rag.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    B!ngo
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2012
                    • 741

                    I thought it was SOP to re-clean after lubing/re-sizing/de-capping (LRD). I ultra-sound rather than vibrate/media but either would do I suppose. I'm hardly an experienced reloader, but it seems quicker to do it in bulk after the LRD process and (at least in an ultra-sound with a bit of cleaner dissolved in the water) more thorough. I think that using a rag per piece of brass would drive me bonkers and the rag does not get to anything inside of the brass which might (if using waxy lube at the OP describes) interfere/cause sticking with the powder when filling the case.
                    But that's just me.
                    B

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      kenjimatic
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2008
                      • 884

                      Just throw them in the tumbler for an hour and you should be fine.

                      I tumble my brass after I size the brass. I have no problem popping out media from the flash hole. After that I either start priming or put it in a ziploc bag until I'm ready to prime and load. Most of the time I prime them, then put it in a ziploc bag and mark the bag of which primer is in the brass.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Pauliedad
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Dec 2012
                        • 2095

                        Lube, resize/decap, wet tumble, bake at 150 for 30, cool for 15, tumble for 30 with some polish.
                        I like uber clean rifle brass.
                        Pistol gets a few hours in the tumbler with the old corncob media then strait to the casefeeder.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          knucklehead0202
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2008
                          • 4087

                          Originally posted by Enfield47
                          With Imperial wax I throw the sized cases in the tumbler for about 20 min. I use corn cob media and it does a good job of removing the wax. If the flash holes get media in them, a toothpick pops it right out. If I'm only doing a small batch I'll wipe the wax off with a rag.
                          I've always used toothpicks too! Hahahaha. I tumble before and after resizing, which annoys some people but it's not like I'm tumbling them by hand, I just throw 'em in there.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            stevec223
                            Senior Member
                            • Jul 2011
                            • 1620

                            I use imperial sizing wax and my concern was the wax inside the case from the sizing ball... One shot is the only lube i've seen that states 'no effect on powder or primer',, so i use it on pistol rounds... Resizing LC brass and mag. Cases imperial my fav... Anyway,,, I used to tumble wax off cases with walnut after sizing but was finding walnut stuck inside the cases... Now I use ultrasonic,, dry in oven ( which discolors brass),, and tumble again in walnut... I use a dental pick to clear primer pockets... Ya long winded I know,, but works for me .... Anyone know if imperial powder and primer friendly ?????... Cheers

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              0321jarhead
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2009
                              • 2116

                              I use imperial wax and after de-priming and FL resizing, I wipe it off with an old t-shirt rag.

                              Why take the risk of leaving it on? Is it because one does not have patience on prepping? Or one is just to lazy? One needs to pay close attention when reloading and not take any ridiculous short cuts. That way then you can have some pride in reloading. This is just my opinion.
                              "TRUST BUT, VERIFY"
                              Ronald Reagan

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1