Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

How to tell if a given bullet has potential?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Flux Capacitor
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2006
    • 1811

    How to tell if a given bullet has potential?

    Took my AR-10 260Rem out and shot about 1/2" groups at 50yds (Leadsled) with 120gr TTSX and 34.2gr H335 or 37.2gr BLC-2. I can usually get 1/2" or less with 139 gr Scenars, but I am trying to find a hunting bullet/recipe.

    How can I tell if this round has potential to group tighter with different amount of the same powders or even different powders? Could they get much tighter increasing the grains? Just trying to spend more than I need to if there is a better science/procedure to doing this. Thanks
  • #2
    CSACANNONEER
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Dec 2006
    • 44094

    Try it. You can run all the programs, math, etc you want to but, it will never prove one way or the other how your exact barrel is going to shoot a particular load at that stage in it's useful life. In fact, on top of the barrel, you also need to shoot it in the conditions you want it to shoot in. Some loads work great on a 50 degree day at 10 feet above sea level and don't shoot as well on a 90 degree day at 6500ft in elevation.
    Last edited by CSACANNONEER; 08-24-2014, 1:56 PM.
    NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
    Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
    Utah CCW Instructor


    Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

    sigpic
    CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

    KM6WLV

    Comment

    • #3
      joelogic
      Calguns Addict
      • May 2008
      • 6593

      50 yards wont tell you much, since that is only 1MOA. If you shoot a 1" group at 200 yards it wont really get any better than that.
      Micro/Mini Reflex Red Dot Sight Mount for the M1, M1a/M14 platform

      Comment

      • #4
        hermosabeach
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Feb 2009
        • 19836

        For bolt guns I would load develope by loding in 0.3 grain increases from the bottom load and going up.

        So load 3 rounds at the bottom charge, the next three rounds you increase the load by 0.3 grains and repeat

        Label the box well

        Shoot from a dirty bore or fire 3-5 rounds from a clean bore before the test.


        Look to find what works well in the gun.

        With a semi, you need to incorporate the gas system running the loads as well on the top and bottom.

        For hunting 2 Moa is more than enough accuracy to being home meat.
        Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

        Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

        Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

        Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
        (thanks to Jeff Cooper)

        Comment

        • #5
          toby
          Banned
          • Jan 2010
          • 10576

          I use 0.5 grain increments at all costs it saves time and generally I get what I'm looking for within 3-4 shots usually. I also do all shooting at 100-200 yards since that is my least amount of distance in which I take animals but that's just me, yet 100 yards is where you should be shooting/testing. IMO

          Comment

          • #6
            rm1911
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2013
            • 4073

            How to tell if a given bullet has potential?

            The ttsx is a hunting bullet. It's quite accurate for sure. Nosler ballistic tips and e tips have also given me great accuracy as have barnes bullets. (30 cal, but they're all good). I've gotten really good groups out of both when sighting in for hunting and also out my garands.

            I'd bet that unless you have a very high end precision barrel and match trigger, etc, the bullets are capable of better accuracy than your rifle can shoot. And that's not to slight your rifle. But if it isn't set up to be and isn't capable of 1/2 MOA than my guess is load development should be pretty fairly easy.

            For serious load development you need a chrono. I don't have one because I don't need it because I don't do serious load development. My rifles aren't capable of shooting it and neither am I . I found a good mid range hunting load/round (I shoot a bolt not auto so you'll have to figure for functioning) that gives me good accuracy. My rifle is capable of shooting 1" at 100. I know that. I use published loads and data. Let's say the velocity published is off somewhat. Let's say 75fps either way. Maybe even 100fps. Honestly how much is that going to throw me off at hunting ranges? Really not much. I sight in at 100. Then go 3" high. That puts me on out to about 350 with a center hold. I am not going to make a shot on game beyond that. So I'm good.

            I'd bet most your loads will shoot very well and you probably won't find enough difference to make a definitive decision. Best thing is shoot 100-200yds and see how it goes. Don't fret over 50fps. With those bullets and the rifle and range, you're not going to get much spread from the different loads. Try a couple but you'll get mired in minutiae and frustrated trying to see a difference in .3 gr of a 37gr load.
            NRA Life Member since 1990

            They're not liberals, they're leftists. Please don't use the former for the latter. Liberals are Locke, Jefferson, Burke, Hayek. Leftists are progressives, Prussian state-socialists, fascists. Liberals stand against the state and unequivocally support liberty. Leftists support state tyranny.

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1