Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Anyone reloading 110gr FMJ for 308WIN - for Varmint?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RogueSniper
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2008
    • 3749

    Anyone reloading 110gr FMJ for 308WIN - for Varmint?

    I just found a box of Hornady 110 gr FMJBT in my cabinet. I was checking M14Forum and they said people were using it for Varmint Hunting. 3000fps from a 16.25" barrel and close to 3200fps from a 22" barrel. I don't even know why I bought them. Maybe I was thinking 300BO would be fun to buy/build.

    What kind of range are we looking at? I can reload these but my range (Chabot) only goes to 100 yards. I think they open the 200 yard Range range on Friday mornings. Seems like a waste of powder for me to reload these things if I don't know what to do with them. My other rounds are 150, 165, and 168 gr. Nothing close to comparable practice rounds.

    I'm not having a glass of wine, I'm having SIX. It's called a tasting and it's classy.

    Active Junky / Dvor
    TARGET SPORT USA Prime Ammo referral - PM me

    Stuff for sale:
    Packer Stock (folding 10/22 stock)
    Beretta Silver Pigeon SL2 Shotgun (Pump)
    Kenwood Receiver
  • #2
    blockfort
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2011
    • 1183

    I would think that any varmint struck by that would explode, no?

    Comment

    • #3
      RogueSniper
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2008
      • 3749

      Hahahaha!


      I'll have to look up the terminal ballistic on that round.
      Last edited by RogueSniper; 08-21-2014, 2:40 PM.
      I'm not having a glass of wine, I'm having SIX. It's called a tasting and it's classy.

      Active Junky / Dvor
      TARGET SPORT USA Prime Ammo referral - PM me

      Stuff for sale:
      Packer Stock (folding 10/22 stock)
      Beretta Silver Pigeon SL2 Shotgun (Pump)
      Kenwood Receiver

      Comment

      • #4
        Mike402
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2012
        • 555

        I normally load 178 AMAX in 308, but I do have a 110gr load using 4064 pushing 3100fps. The only anecdotal evidence I have experienced is shooting 1 gallon water jugs and crows. The 110 gr load results in much bigger splash/explosion with the jugs and a cacophony of black feathers flying everywhere. The 178s pretty much just result in them bowling over with fairly minimal fanfare. I get better accuracy with the 178s in my gun though, so YMMV

        Note that this is the 110 VMAX bullet, so not sure the FMJ would have the same terminal performance.
        Last edited by Mike402; 08-21-2014, 3:56 PM.

        Comment

        • #5
          mark501w
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2011
          • 1699

          Try'em they might shoot in your gun. 110,125gr sierras shot great in my 700. 50gr 748 ball same commercial case same primer is my go to 200yrd load in my 700 & m14.

          Comment

          • #6
            JMP
            Internet Warrior
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Feb 2012
            • 17056

            Light weight .308 rounds are excellent for close range anti-personnel or small game as the heavier rounds will tend toward over-penetration in smaller framed mammals.

            Comment

            • #7
              highpower790
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2013
              • 3481

              It may be a little more practical to sell these to someone that reloads for the M1 carbine.
              Keep it simple!

              Comment

              • #8
                rsrocket1
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2010
                • 2772

                BTW They are not FMJBT, they are simply FMJ



                I've loaded up the #3005 Short Jacket bullets to 3000 fps out of my 788 bolt rifle



                They were great shooters with 10g Unique @ 1480 fps. Great accuracy and very low recoil. I worked up the Unique loads to 16g and got 2240 fps, but the accuracy went to pot. I then went to Reloader 7 and worked up to 3000 fps with 37g. The recoil was about as strong as a standard 150g .308 hunting load. The bullets were all over the place, but the ones that hit the target made the cleanest .30 caliber holes I've ever seen. They looked like wadcutter pistol holes.

                I have since loaded Xtreme plated 110g .308 bullets with 11g Unique/Red Dot/Clays as "plinker" loads @ 1750 fps. Same POI as my full house 150g SP loads and just a little less accurate, but good enough for trigger practice.

                Comment

                • #9
                  RogueSniper
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2008
                  • 3749

                  I just opened the box and yeah, you're ^^^ right, just FMJ. I was going to load up a few rounds with RL7 with 36gr, 38gr, and 39gr. Perhaps I'll rethink it and just go for some light loads. 5 rounds loaded on the low end and keep it under 3000fps. Why waste powder for wild, wandering bullets.

                  I bought these little bugger for $20/box. I'll just load and shoot them for plinking and maybe if I get a chance, some varmint hunting.
                  I'm not having a glass of wine, I'm having SIX. It's called a tasting and it's classy.

                  Active Junky / Dvor
                  TARGET SPORT USA Prime Ammo referral - PM me

                  Stuff for sale:
                  Packer Stock (folding 10/22 stock)
                  Beretta Silver Pigeon SL2 Shotgun (Pump)
                  Kenwood Receiver

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    mark501w
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • 1699

                    #7 ought to be perfect for those slugs.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1