Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ring on shoulder of resized 223

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • edwardm
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 1939

    Ring on shoulder of resized 223

    Hey guys, I'm seeing this come up on some resized 223 casings, and I'm not sure of the cause. Dies are RCBS (FL, not SB). I've cleaned and inspected and the sizing die and there are no corresponding ridges on the die itself. Brass is R-P, 1x fired. I also sometimes notice it on Winchester (rare) and PMC (very often, like maybe 10-15% of 1x fired cases).

    The casings come out with a thin, somewhat bright line. It usually shows up just above the body-shoulder junction, but I've also noticed it right at the body-shoulder junction, or also much closer to the shoulder-neck junction.

    With a fine dental pick (Montana Jack), you can feel that some of the brass is displaced, i.e. its a gouge or cut of some sort. It's not very deep, likely <0.0001" It's not just an irregularity in the surface of the brass. Checking from the inside, I'm unable to detect any thinning of the brass. Out of my last run of 275 cases, probably 10 came out like this. It's hard to notice (which is why it's loaded) and I only picked it up during my post-loading QA check. No problem pulling it apart and tossing the brass, but I'm wondering about the cause.

    223.jpg
  • #2
    Jeff213
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2009
    • 706

    I would just set it aside for "plinking" ammo, and shoot it. Have you tried backing the die out a VERY small amount? like hundredths of an inch?

    Comment

    • #3
      J-cat
      Calguns Addict
      • May 2005
      • 6626

      That's not a small amount.

      A thousandth is a small amount.

      The ring is due to the interior finish. It's not a problem.

      Comment

      • #4
        edwardm
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2005
        • 1939

        Originally posted by J-cat
        That's not a small amount.

        A thousandth is a small amount.

        The ring is due to the interior finish. It's not a problem.
        Fair enough. Thanks for sharing the clue with me. The varying position confused me at first, but I think I can attribute that to where the die first (or last) contacts the shoulder. The post-firing shoulders run from 1.460 to 1.466 (Hornady gauge, so it's all relative - the bushings are off by .007"), so that makes some sense!

        At worst, I'll toss my broken shell extractor in the range bag, just in case.

        Comment

        Working...
        UA-8071174-1