Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

22-250 help!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    hd-dude
    Member
    • Feb 2012
    • 187

    I had a similar problem with my 22-250. I found that lowering the sizing die down a bit further into the press solved the problem. The necks needed to be bumped down a bit more.
    "The Best You Know Is The Best You've Had"

    Comment

    • #17
      bcrich
      Senior Member
      • May 2008
      • 1159

      My rcbs dies would not set the shoulders back at all if I had set them by the instructions from the factory..... I had to turn down the face of an extra shell holder by .020" on a lathe, now I don't have to cam over & can set the shoulders back .001-.002 when full length sizing.

      Comment

      • #18
        reload4fun
        Member
        • Feb 2010
        • 168

        Thanks guys! I think my problem is all in sizing. Sure glad it was only 4 rounds, but I'll like to correct the problem before I go any further.

        Comment

        • #19
          drdarrin@sbcglobal.net
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2011
          • 2219

          22-250 help!

          It could be sizing. The instructions that come with your dies are a good place to start but will result in over/under resized cases sometimes. This is how I set mine up. I load for one rifle.

          Find a case that will not chamber or is difficult to chamber. Start with your die as the factory recommends and then back it out one full turn. Lube and resize the case and try it in your chamber. If it fits, you're done. If it doesn't, screw the die down 1/8 turn and repeat until it does chamber.
          NRA Life Member
          GOA Life Member
          USMC '71 - '78

          "I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything; but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."
          Edward Everett Hale

          Comment

          • #20
            reload4fun
            Member
            • Feb 2010
            • 168

            You bring up a great point, I reload in O.C. I leave the rifle in Az. I need to get the rifle back here for reference.

            Comment

            • #21
              rogsworld
              Member
              • Oct 2009
              • 152

              I have a Wilson 22-250 case gauge I could loan you. i'm in south O.C.

              Comment

              • #22
                reload4fun
                Member
                • Feb 2010
                • 168

                rogsworld
                I might take you up on the loan. I live right by Fowelers. I'm going to see if they have one.
                Thanks to all you guys!

                Comment

                • #23
                  M1NM
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Oct 2011
                  • 7966

                  Originally posted by reload4fun
                  I dropped the factory into the sizing die and mic'ed the overhang and it was within .002 of the reload.
                  If they had the bullets in them they stopped at the mouth of the neck. They are sized a little under so there is tension when you seat the bullet which also expands them too large to drop full length into the die.
                  When you set up the sizing die run the ram fully up then screw the die all the way down then about another 1/16 of a turn. You want the feel the handle go a little over center. This is where the dies are ground to make them fully sized. If you had only 4 I'd wager you didn't fully cycle the handle on those.
                  Last edited by M1NM; 08-02-2014, 7:00 PM.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    J-cat
                    Calguns Addict
                    • May 2005
                    • 6626

                    Did you lube the inside of the case neck? If not, the expander ball could have pulled the shoulder forward after you bumped it back.

                    But the crimp theory is more plausible.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      reload4fun
                      Member
                      • Feb 2010
                      • 168

                      Well I solved the problem, got a Wilson case gage. Started with factory rounds I know work well. Went on to my reloads and they were seated up about .100 Turned down the sizing die and the reloads drop in and out. Been reloading for years, this was my first at rifle rounds. not used to such long reloads. Thanks for all your input as it makes us all better at our craft.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1