Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

RL-22 for .243?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jetman624
    Senior Member
    • May 2011
    • 514

    RL-22 for .243?

    I am wondering if anyone here has used RL-22 with some of the heavier bullets in a .243 cartridge, and what your experience was. Would like to load some 105 Bergers and Hornadys.

    Also, when using a relatively slow burning powder in a .243, should I still just use a standard LRP, or should a mag primer be used?

    Barrel length will be 26", if that makes a difference.
    Last edited by jetman624; 07-09-2014, 5:30 PM.
  • #2
    JBoutfishn
    Member
    • Feb 2014
    • 135

    Thinking Rel 22 will work, especially with a 26" barrel but I think you will find the likes of Rel 17 would give better results. As I recall 4198 gave me better results. I used standard primers in all my 243 loads.
    Jim

    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      devster55
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2012
      • 2095

      I personally use IMR 4064 for my 243 with a 24in barrel with 85 gr bonded bullets. RL 22 is a magnum powder for the thumpers like 7mm rem mag. But with the right load anything will work. Let me know your results and I will think of using that as I would be interested in using it in my 7mag and 243 as well.
      Good friends will come bail you out of jail. A best friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying damn that was fun!

      Comment

      • #4
        stevec223
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2011
        • 1620

        My 243 load with barnes 85gr tsx bullets is with Rl-19... This (Rl-19 powder) was the most accurate load listing in the barnes book so I wanted to try it out... I used standard primers for my load.... I have not tried it out with the heavy bullets though,,, I was just looking for a condor friendly load.... Cheers..

        Comment

        • #5
          Cypriss32
          Calguns Addict
          • Jul 2004
          • 5987

          Try rl22 it will be good to go. The heavier bullets 105gr plus like slower powders.
          "Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one."
          -- Thomas Paine


          Comment

          • #6
            JagerDog
            I need a LIFE!!
            • May 2011
            • 15699

            Not looking at data, I'd guess you'd run out of case capacity before obtaining ballistics the 243 is known for.

            I'm just starting to load 243 and settled on H414. I'm tailoring to lighter bullets (70-90g) though.
            Palestine is a fake country

            No Mas Hamas



            #Blackolivesmatter

            Comment

            • #7
              ar15barrels
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2006
              • 57182

              Originally posted by JagerDog
              Not looking at data, I'd guess you'd run out of case capacity before obtaining ballistics the 243 is known for.
              I'll just drop this here:

              Code:
              Cartridge          : .243 Win.
              Bullet             : .243, 105, Berger VLD
              Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 2.810 inch or 71.37 mm
              Barrel Length      : 26.0 inch or 660.4 mm
              
              Predicted Data for Indicated Charges of the Following Powders.
              
              Matching Maximum Pressure: 60000 psi, or 413 MPa
              
              or a maximum loading ratio or filling of 103 %
              
              These calculations refer to your specified settings in QuickLOAD 'Cartridge Dimensions' window.
              C A U T I O N : any load listed can result in a powder charge that falls below minimum suggested
              loads or exceeds maximum suggested loads as presented in current handloading manuals. Understand
              that all of the listed powders can be unsuitable for the given combination of cartridge, bullet
              and gun. Actual load order can vary, depending upon lot-to-lot powder and component variations.
              USE ONLY FOR COMPARISON !
              
              85 loads produced a Loading Ratio below user-defined minimum of 90%. These powders have been skipped.
              
              Powder type          Filling/Loading Ratio  Charge    Charge   Vel. Prop.Burnt P max  P muzz  B_Time
                                                    %     Grains    Gramm   fps     %       psi     psi    ms
              ---------------------------------  -----------------------------------------------------------------
              Vihtavuori N560                    101.5     46.8     3.03    3129    98.7    60000   14441   1.232  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
              IMR 7828 SSC                       100.2     46.5     3.01    3117    99.0    60000   13956   1.222  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
              Accurate MAGPRO                    101.7     48.8     3.16    3116    97.6    60000   14646   1.241  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
              Alliant Reloder-22                 101.7     46.4     3.01    3105    99.6    60000   13839   1.239  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
              Ramshot Magnum (Big Boy)           103.0     49.8     3.23    3093    99.1    57756   14284   1.247  ! Near Maximum !
              Alliant Reloder-19                  98.5     44.5     2.88    3062    99.5    60000   13095   1.236  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
              Winchester WXR                     103.0     46.0     2.98    3061    99.3    57229   13718   1.265  ! Near Maximum !
              Hodgdon H4350                       93.9     42.2     2.73    3058   100.0    60000   12317   1.233  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
              Ramshot Hunter                      94.1     43.9     2.84    3054   100.0    60000   12576   1.242  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
              IMR 4350                            96.3     41.7     2.70    3047   100.0    60000   12274   1.237  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
              Hodgdon H4831 SC                    99.8     45.5     2.95    3035    98.3    60000   13005   1.234  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
              Vihtavuori N550                     91.0     42.0     2.72    3034   100.0    60000   12102   1.252  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
              Accurate 4350                       97.2     42.0     2.72    3028   100.0    60000   11905   1.266  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
              IMR 7828                           103.0     45.2     2.93    3027    98.2    54374   13612   1.277  ! Near Maximum !
              IMR 4831                            98.3     42.5     2.75    3013   100.0    60000   11708   1.258  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
              Hodgdon H4831                      103.0     45.2     2.93    3012    98.1    58416   12908   1.249  ! Near Maximum !
              Winchester Supreme 780              97.3     46.3     3.00    3011    99.5    60000   12537   1.243  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
              Alliant Reloder-25                 103.0     46.3     3.00    3001   100.0    51342   13230   1.315  ! Near Maximum !
              Hodgdon Hybrid 100V                 99.6     42.0     2.72    2987   100.0    60000   11018   1.250  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
              Vihtavuori N165                    103.0     46.0     2.98    2978    99.6    58157   12212   1.266  ! Near Maximum !
              Vihtavuori N160                    103.0     44.6     2.89    2963    98.5    58221   12163   1.259  ! Near Maximum !
              Accurate 4064                       90.3     38.1     2.47    2930   100.0    60000   10263   1.289  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
              Randall Rausch

              AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
              Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
              Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
              Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
              Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

              Comment

              • #8
                JagerDog
                I need a LIFE!!
                • May 2011
                • 15699

                Originally posted by ar15barrels
                I'll just drop this here:

                Code:
                Cartridge          : .243 Win.
                Bullet             : .243, 105, Berger VLD
                Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 2.810 inch or 71.37 mm
                Barrel Length      : 26.0 inch or 660.4 mm
                
                Predicted Data for Indicated Charges of the Following Powders.
                
                Matching Maximum Pressure: 60000 psi, or 413 MPa
                
                or a maximum loading ratio or filling of 103 %
                
                These calculations refer to your specified settings in QuickLOAD 'Cartridge Dimensions' window.
                C A U T I O N : any load listed can result in a powder charge that falls below minimum suggested
                loads or exceeds maximum suggested loads as presented in current handloading manuals. Understand
                that all of the listed powders can be unsuitable for the given combination of cartridge, bullet
                and gun. Actual load order can vary, depending upon lot-to-lot powder and component variations.
                USE ONLY FOR COMPARISON !
                
                85 loads produced a Loading Ratio below user-defined minimum of 90%. These powders have been skipped.
                
                Powder type          Filling/Loading Ratio  Charge    Charge   Vel. Prop.Burnt P max  P muzz  B_Time
                                                      %     Grains    Gramm   fps     %       psi     psi    ms
                ---------------------------------  -----------------------------------------------------------------
                Vihtavuori N560                    101.5     46.8     3.03    3129    98.7    60000   14441   1.232  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
                IMR 7828 SSC                       100.2     46.5     3.01    3117    99.0    60000   13956   1.222  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
                Accurate MAGPRO                    101.7     48.8     3.16    3116    97.6    60000   14646   1.241  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
                Alliant Reloder-22                 101.7     46.4     3.01    3105    99.6    60000   13839   1.239  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
                Ramshot Magnum (Big Boy)           103.0     49.8     3.23    3093    99.1    57756   14284   1.247  ! Near Maximum !
                Alliant Reloder-19                  98.5     44.5     2.88    3062    99.5    60000   13095   1.236  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
                Winchester WXR                     103.0     46.0     2.98    3061    99.3    57229   13718   1.265  ! Near Maximum !
                Hodgdon H4350                       93.9     42.2     2.73    3058   100.0    60000   12317   1.233  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
                Ramshot Hunter                      94.1     43.9     2.84    3054   100.0    60000   12576   1.242  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
                IMR 4350                            96.3     41.7     2.70    3047   100.0    60000   12274   1.237  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
                Hodgdon H4831 SC                    99.8     45.5     2.95    3035    98.3    60000   13005   1.234  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
                Vihtavuori N550                     91.0     42.0     2.72    3034   100.0    60000   12102   1.252  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
                Accurate 4350                       97.2     42.0     2.72    3028   100.0    60000   11905   1.266  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
                IMR 7828                           103.0     45.2     2.93    3027    98.2    54374   13612   1.277  ! Near Maximum !
                IMR 4831                            98.3     42.5     2.75    3013   100.0    60000   11708   1.258  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
                Hodgdon H4831                      103.0     45.2     2.93    3012    98.1    58416   12908   1.249  ! Near Maximum !
                Winchester Supreme 780              97.3     46.3     3.00    3011    99.5    60000   12537   1.243  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
                Alliant Reloder-25                 103.0     46.3     3.00    3001   100.0    51342   13230   1.315  ! Near Maximum !
                Hodgdon Hybrid 100V                 99.6     42.0     2.72    2987   100.0    60000   11018   1.250  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
                Vihtavuori N165                    103.0     46.0     2.98    2978    99.6    58157   12212   1.266  ! Near Maximum !
                Vihtavuori N160                    103.0     44.6     2.89    2963    98.5    58221   12163   1.259  ! Near Maximum !
                Accurate 4064                       90.3     38.1     2.47    2930   100.0    60000   10263   1.289  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
                Kewl. Have you tried any of those? I noticed Hodgdon calls for 0.050" shorter COL.
                Palestine is a fake country

                No Mas Hamas



                #Blackolivesmatter

                Comment

                • #9
                  ar15barrels
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 57182

                  Originally posted by JagerDog
                  Kewl. Have you tried any of those?
                  I have run IMR7828SSC and H4831SC
                  Randall Rausch

                  AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                  Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                  Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                  Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                  Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    buffybuster
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 2615

                    I've run RL22 in my 6mm (very similar to .243Win). Good velocity and accuracy but more temperature sensitive than Hodgdon powders. No problem for hunting loads, but not the best for match loads. Went back to H4831SC.
                    Luck favors the prepared.

                    The original battle plan did not survive initial contact with the enemy.

                    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      JagerDog
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • May 2011
                      • 15699

                      Originally posted by ar15barrels
                      I have run IMR7828SSC and H4831SC
                      Did your listed COL work for you?

                      Are those compressed as well?

                      I run H4831 in the 25-06 and .264 Win mag. I don't have the SC.
                      Palestine is a fake country

                      No Mas Hamas



                      #Blackolivesmatter

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ar15barrels
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 57182

                        Originally posted by JagerDog
                        Did your listed COL work for you?

                        Are those compressed as well?

                        I run H4831 in the 25-06 and .264 Win mag. I don't have the SC.
                        In MY chamber, I run 107 SMK's at 2.830" OAL.
                        I think my load was 44gr of H4831SC and the loads are nowhere near being compressed.

                        The SC does not fill the cases as much as regular H4831.
                        Randall Rausch

                        AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                        Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                        Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                        Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                        Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          mrlonewolf
                          CGSSA Director - C3 Leader & Regional Gun Show Booth Coordinator (LA/OC/IE)
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Jul 2008
                          • 4003

                          Originally posted by ar15barrels
                          In MY chamber, I run 107 SMK's at 2.830" OAL.
                          I think my load was 44gr of H4831SC and the loads are nowhere near being compressed.

                          The SC does not fill the cases as much as regular H4831.
                          2.8170" in my Micrometer.
                          Would you like to participate in the Right to Keep and Bear Arms movement in California?
                          Please visit the Calguns Community Chapter forum for your area and sign the roll call
                          California needs YOU.


                          sigpic

                          Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable. George S. Patton

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            JagerDog
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • May 2011
                            • 15699

                            Yeh. I've just been dealing with lighter bullets (more powder). I see Nosler has loads listed using RL22 with heavier bullets (but about 10% less powder than Quickload suggests) and non-compressed.

                            Sidebar: Just finished loading 70 gr Sierra, Speer, Nosler and 62gr Barnes test loads. All with H414. 43-46 gr ladder. Now to find time to shoot 'em.
                            Last edited by JagerDog; 07-13-2014, 9:32 PM.
                            Palestine is a fake country

                            No Mas Hamas



                            #Blackolivesmatter

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ar15barrels
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jan 2006
                              • 57182

                              Originally posted by JagerDog
                              I see Nosler has loads listed using RL22 with heavier bullets (but about 10% less powder than Quickload suggests).
                              Those are 60,000 PSI calculations so dropping back 10% would definetly be appropriate.
                              Very small changes in bullet weight/length can also change the loads 10%...
                              Randall Rausch

                              AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                              Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                              Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                              Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                              Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1