Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.308 165gr BTSP Sierra Gameking

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Californio
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Dec 2006
    • 4169

    .308 165gr BTSP Sierra Gameking

    The manual calls for 2.75 OAL, anyone push it up to 2.80 OAL? What are you results?

    Thanks
    "The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
  • #2
    5968
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • 3557

    I have the 168s to 2.778 backed with 42 grs of IMR 4240 shooting excellent results.
    sigpicIf you loan someone twenty dollars and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
    Originally posted by hoffmang
    NFA is a long ways off as well it should be. Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...-Gene

    Comment

    • #3
      EOD3
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2003
      • 949

      The maximum COL is there to keep you from loading ammo with the bullet in contact with the rifling. I know we're only talking .05 inches but, if it's a little too long, chamber pressure can skyrocket. Measure your chamber and then decide what length you can safely load.
      "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" ~Ted Nugent

      "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." ~ Claire Wolfe

      Comment

      • #4
        Californio
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Dec 2006
        • 4169

        Originally posted by EOD3
        The maximum COL is there to keep you from loading ammo with the bullet in contact with the rifling. I know we're only talking .05 inches but, if it's a little too long, chamber pressure can skyrocket. Measure your chamber and then decide what length you can safely load.
        I am driving tacks with GMM308 168SMK at 2.80 OAL, the Gameking is similar in design, slightly shorter. I was wondering about the performance of setting it at 2.80 instead of 2.75 OAL.
        "The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

        Comment

        • #5
          EOD3
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2003
          • 949

          The Nosler reloading manual has advice on determining the optimum? seating depth for a specific rifle/projectile combination. Your rifle MAY group better with the projectile seated closer to the lands but, you must be certain the projectile IS NOT TOUCHING the lands.
          "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" ~Ted Nugent

          "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." ~ Claire Wolfe

          Comment

          • #6
            nothing4u
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2006
            • 1378

            Originally posted by Californio
            I am driving tacks with GMM308 168SMK at 2.80 OAL, the Gameking is similar in design, slightly shorter. I was wondering about the performance of setting it at 2.80 instead of 2.75 OAL.
            Size your brass, and trim to length. Load the dummy round with no powder and primer at 2.8 and see if it chambers without resistance. Make sure it fits into your magazine at that length. Thats the only way you will know for sure if the bullet is jamming into the lands. As the previous poster said bullets tend to be more accurate when loaded to near the lands. But chances are if you do this it will probably not fit in your magazine and you will have to single load each round.
            Politicians should only be allowed one term in office, then one term in jail.

            Comment

            • #7
              TwoDogs
              Junior Member
              • Oct 2006
              • 25

              Depends on your chamber. Most of my Remington barrels have chambers that can handle 2.830. One i load to 2.880. I fire it single shot but it is that long.

              Comment

              • #8
                hylander
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 3871

                Originally posted by Californio
                The manual calls for 2.75 OAL, anyone push it up to 2.80 OAL? What are you results?

                Thanks
                Yes; Sub 1/2 MOA from a Rem 700 VLS and a Ruger 77

                My Load:
                Sierra 165 BTSP, also 168 Matchking BTHP
                39gr. 3031
                Win Brass
                Win. LRP
                OCL 2.80
                Failure is not an Option

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1