Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

crimp or not?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Bastard
    • Jul 2009
    • 2209

    crimp or not?

    loading lead for rifle (bolt) should I crimp or not?

    first impression would be no, but I am just curious if there would be any difference because I am loading lead... also I do not want to single load.
  • #2
    mark501w
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2011
    • 1699

    If your not going to use your mag I wouldn't. The less you mess with lead bullets the better .

    Comment

    • #3
      Jasonaspears
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2011
      • 1200

      I don't crimp any of my bolt gun ammo.

      Comment

      • #4
        ar15barrels
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jan 2006
        • 57179

        Originally posted by Bastard
        loading lead for rifle (bolt) should I crimp or not?
        No crimp.
        Randall Rausch

        AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
        Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
        Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
        Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
        Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

        Comment

        • #5
          J-cat
          Calguns Addict
          • May 2005
          • 6626

          But you should remove the bell from the case mouth.

          Comment

          • #6
            Jon Road King
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2012
            • 926

            I bump the neck ever so slightly on my 308. But it's not really a crimp. I just touch it enough to even out the neck... just barely. But I'm a bit OCD that way, heh.

            Oh and I don't claim to be a reloading expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn (**** you not, I got stuck in San Diego two nights ago on account of the fires, heh).
            "Never interrupt your enemy while he is making a mistake."

            --- Napoleon

            Comment

            • #7
              mark501w
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2011
              • 1699

              Like J said Your gonna need a die to bell the mouth like a pistol die

              Comment

              • #8
                Bastard
                • Jul 2009
                • 2209

                Originally posted by J-cat
                But you should remove the bell from the case mouth.
                Originally posted by mark501w
                Like J said Your gonna need a die to bell the mouth like a pistol die
                yes I am using the Lyman M die to bell, I use this with all lead, & was at the least planning on crimping enough to remove bell... I just wasn't sure if I needed to go any further than that.

                thanks.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Bigtls1
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2012
                  • 579

                  Nope. No crimp over here.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    CEDaytonaRydr
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2010
                    • 4142

                    No crimp. Especially on a bolt gun...

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1