Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Hornady Power Measure Crunch help.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • hikari
    Junior Member
    • May 2005
    • 89

    Hornady Power Measure Crunch help.

    Good day.

    I am new to reloading.
    Still working the kinkings out of My LocknLoad

    Any how i am having a problem with the powder measure.
    It seems to get stuck crunching the powder on both the down and upstroks
    and gets stuck there where i have nudge the adjuster for it to go.

    Is there somthing i am doing wrong.

    I tryed putting some Graphite powder though it and still doing the same thing.
    I have cleaned it with degreaser twice and same thing.

    I have used 2 diffrenet powder
    2046 and now im using vargent since its smaller its not crunching as bad as the 2046 but still doing it.

    I have had my LnL for a month now and this has gotten me stuck

    Any comments and help woudl be greatly apreshiated.
    Have not had time to call hornady yet.
  • #2
    ar15barrels
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2006
    • 57182

    Move the measure faster and power through it.
    Randall Rausch

    AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
    Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
    Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
    Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
    Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

    Comment

    • #3
      hikari
      Junior Member
      • May 2005
      • 89

      Yha i can power though it and works fine but its a prograssive
      If there is a round in the fullsize die you can't power though it.

      i talked with honaday and they realy had no ?
      There sending me a new spring to see if that helps

      Comment

      • #4
        lazuris
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2006
        • 588

        Stick powder will break with a mechanical thrower. Thats why i bought a rcbs chargemaster for rifle. Dispenses the charge without the crunch. I only use ball or flake in a mechanical thrower. What rifle are you loading on the LnL? .223/308 or bigger. I recomend that you go single stage for accurate rifle versus progressive.

        Comment

        • #5
          hikari
          Junior Member
          • May 2005
          • 89

          Originally posted by lazuris
          Stick powder will break with a mechanical thrower. Thats why i bought a rcbs chargemaster for rifle. Dispenses the charge without the crunch. I only use ball or flake in a mechanical thrower. What rifle are you loading on the LnL? .223/308 or bigger. I recomend that you go single stage for accurate rifle versus progressive.
          Hey lazuris
          Thanks for the input
          I am new to this
          I am starting out reloading for my sig556 .223 but will move to my others later.

          I picked up some vergent powder last week seeing that its so small i thought i wouldn't have a prob. but still same thing

          I understand there will be crunch on the downstrok of the handle
          but it also crunchs on the upstoke and gets stuck which becomes a hassle

          with no powder things run smoth
          I have also tried runing powdered graphite though it
          then ran a bunch of powder also still same boat

          Hornady says it can be the spring but realy dont think so.
          Thinking if all elase fails i put on both springs lol

          Any how what ball powder would you suggest for .223

          Comment

          • #6
            ar15barrels
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2006
            • 57182

            Originally posted by hikari
            Any how what ball powder would you suggest for .223
            Depending on bullet weight:
            Winchester 748
            Hodgdon H335
            Hodgdon BL-C2
            Randall Rausch

            AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
            Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
            Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
            Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
            Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

            Comment

            • #7
              hikari
              Junior Member
              • May 2005
              • 89

              Well i have Hornday 69g bullets in my closet at the moment.

              Comment

              • #8
                Whitesmoke
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2006
                • 883

                I use the same powder measue with case actuation and it works fine....even when measuring IMR 4895 which is known to be hard to measure as it's a large cyl stick powder. It does cut a grain now and then...but it still measures well and nothing like your describing.

                Comment

                • #9
                  hikari
                  Junior Member
                  • May 2005
                  • 89

                  thank you for the info Whitesmoke

                  humm maybe they are right its just the spring.

                  humm did you have a hard time setting up?

                  it seemed very straight foward thats what got me stumped.

                  you know what can you give me a measurement whitesmoke


                  could you give me the measurement between the spring posts on the linkage
                  woundering if maybe yours is further away then mine.

                  I realy don't know hoping the new spring fix's the issue.

                  thanks for all the input guys.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Whitesmoke
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 883

                    I'll try and measure that for you when I get home......

                    Mine did take a few adjustments to get it smooth....come to think of it...it was jerky until I got it adjusted correctly. I'd bet you don't even have a spring problem....probably just needs a few adjustments.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      hikari
                      Junior Member
                      • May 2005
                      • 89

                      could very well be.

                      If you can give me an idea on what you did later and that measurement it would be a huge help.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        jandmtv
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Oct 2007
                        • 5800

                        I would recommend Ramshot TAC for .223, its some good stuff for .223 and .308. Its a ball powder so it meters very well, and it costs much less than other powders.

                        my .223 plinking load is - 24.5gr TAC, Remington 7 1/2 primer, 55gr Hornady FMJBT @ 2.20 COAL.
                        Looking for RPR or Precision Rifle Accessories? Check out Anarchy Outdoors. http://www.anarchyoutdoors.com?afmc=1w

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Whitesmoke
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 883

                          Originally posted by hikari
                          could very well be.

                          If you can give me an idea on what you did later and that measurement it would be a huge help.

                          I measured them.....it is 1-7/8" center of post to center of post.

                          I adjust mine using the RCBS linkage instructions (RCBS makes the case activated linkage for Hornady) below:



                          I hope that helps...

                          Rob

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            anyracoon
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2006
                            • 3704

                            I use the same linkage on my Dillon with the RCBS Powder Measure. Works great, even with Varget. Will be trying it out with 4350 for my .243.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Gunsrruss
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2006
                              • 1488

                              Load

                              69gr sierras...H335 24.5gr Don't put in 25gr as it will deform the brass. for .308 use 41.5gr of BLC-2 for 168gr. There both ball powders and measure well. I prefer the Pact dispenser and scale, but then I had money when I bought it.
                              I won't be wronged
                              I won't be insulted
                              And I won't be laid a hand on.
                              I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.....John Wayne

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1