Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

What bullet weight for 308

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 9mmrevolver
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2006
    • 1477

    What bullet weight for 308

    Let's start with the specs

    Cmmg 18" 1 in 10 twist 308 win
    Powder. IMR 4064
    Case. LC 308
    Bullet #1. 150 gr nosler ballistic tip
    Bullet #2. 168 gr burger hollow point

    So my buddy and I planning a trip to Nevada next month. We are looking to shoot some yotes as well as stretch some legs. We will be shooting at 1k to start off then go for 1 mile with his 338 lapua.


    I originally sight my rifle in with cheap military surplus ammo at 100yrds. Finally got some 308 loaded and headed for the range. I stepped each bullet weight 1gr and had 20 cartridges for each. I started with the 150's figuring it would be pretty close to the milsurp. Fat ****ing chance there. Didn't even hit the target. Went through 15 trying figure out where it was hitting before I called it quits.

    On to the 168's. By god it hit the the target. About 4 mildots low but I'll take it. After tweeking scope adjustment over a couple rounds I finally started to group. Sadly it wasn't all the data I needed to start doing big batches.

    I get back on the 150's. I figured, **** it, I'll push out to the 425 burm and see what's going on. With my buddy spotting I rip one off at a milk jug. Hit. Wtf. I let another go. Hit. Bang bang bang. Hit hit hit.

    So at 100 my 168's are dead on. At 425 my 150's are dead on.

    Which one would u use at 1k?

    What are your thoughts?
  • #2
    Cypriss32
    Calguns Addict
    • Jul 2004
    • 5987

    IMHO I would 175/178gr bullets SMK's or AMAX.
    "Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one."
    -- Thomas Paine


    Comment

    • #3
      9mmrevolver
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2006
      • 1477

      175? Why?

      Comment

      • #4
        Bigtls1
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2012
        • 579

        I use the 168 SMK. I've heard great things about the 155 Scenar's as well for shooting out to 1000 yds.

        Different rounds are going to have different flight patterns, even with the same bullets and different powder amounts. Although, not hitting paper at 100 yds is pretty far off.

        Comment

        • #5
          lewdogg21
          Cattle Thieves Pro Staff
          • May 2009
          • 10369

          OP man. You probably already know this but considering you reload and aren't shoot crap start off at 25 or 50 yards so you don't play the " g-damn where are my bullets hitting?" game and waste $, time, and frustration.

          I say this b/c I played this game last Fall at the range and realized how stupid and stubborn I was being.

          For yotes your shots will probably be under 200 yards unless you setup in some giant wash where you can see forever.
          Originally posted by jmonte35
          Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
          .

          Comment

          • #6
            9mmrevolver
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2006
            • 1477

            Ya I just figured the milsurp would get me on paper and then adjust my scope to reloaded ammo. Don't know if it's under powered or using a heavier bullet. Probably under powered though.

            Comment

            • #7
              9mmrevolver
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2006
              • 1477

              There is a place outside of Reno that has some great long range shots. No trees. Just brush and some hills

              Comment

              • #8
                Divernhunter
                Calguns Addict
                • May 2010
                • 8753

                I prefer to use 700gr bullets in one of my 50BMG rifles for 1000 yards.
                I may have been to the spot by Reno myself. You can shoot much more than 1000 yards if you want to.
                A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
                NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
                SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

                Comment

                • #9
                  LCU1670
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2010
                  • 2865

                  175 smk bt hp
                  sigpic Waterborne!

                  Former: Knight of Front Sight &
                  Gold Star Member

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    hanover67
                    Junior Member
                    • Jun 2010
                    • 83

                    I used to shoot Palma matches with a .308 bolt rifle, Hart barrel, 1-11" twist. I used Sierra 190gr HPBT bullets, Winchester cases and primers and 40gr of IMR 4064 powder. These matches are shot at 800, 900, and 1,000 yards. I also used another 190gr bullet, the GTB bullets made by Bob Carteruccio which gave me a group size half of the Sierras. Heavier bullets buck the wind better at long range.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      3RDGEARGRNDRR
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2011
                      • 900

                      To be dead on at 400 yds means you are probably about a foot high at 100 yds. Click down 10-12" at 100 or aim really low.
                      The 150's should be faster than the 168's and hit high. Not knowing your twist i found that 150's are better suited to 1-11 or 1-12 twists.
                      168's at 1-11 or 1-10. Hanover67 is pushing his bullets fast through a really long tube and has a premium barrel to achieve his accuracy. Most guys dont run Palma rigs. I dont know if the ARplatform can handle that amount of rocket fuel.
                      For hunting purposes that wont make a difference unless shooting at distance the BC of the 168's can "stretch your legs". Are you using the Berger hunting hollow points or the target hollow points?
                      CA: Exorcising my 2A rights

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        MontClaire
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 4859

                        You need heavier projectile to stretch to 1000 yards accurately.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Boogaloo
                          Member
                          • Mar 2011
                          • 411

                          place holder

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            BenHa
                            Senior Member
                            • May 2012
                            • 838

                            Originally posted by Cypriss32
                            IMHO I would 175/178gr bullets SMK's or AMAX.
                            Can't forget the 178 hpbt

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              bubbapug1
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 7958

                              168's start to tumble around 800 yards unless you load them so hot they stay above the speed of sound to 1000. In 308 thats hard to do, especially with your short barrel. 175's might do the trick and they don't get as unstable in the trans sonic region as the 168's....

                              Trust me...been there, done that.
                              I love America for the rights and freedoms we used to have.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1