Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Sorting .223 brass, what is maximum lenght before trimming?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jimi Jah
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2014
    • 19232

    Sorting .223 brass, what is maximum lenght before trimming?

    I have a bunch at 1.76 to 1.77. Where do you cut off the max length and send to trimming? I was sorting at 1.758 and less.
  • #2
    damndave
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Oct 2008
    • 10858

    I trim everything to 1.750 for uniformity. SAAMI says 1.760 is max.

    Comment

    • #3
      jglabe
      Member
      • Jan 2013
      • 415

      Originally posted by Jimi Jah
      I have a bunch at 1.76 to 1.77. Where do you cut off the max length and send to trimming? I was sorting at 1.758 and less.
      If you refer to a reloading manual, it will say the the max length is 1.76. I however find it very tiresome to measure every piece of brass, so I just run everything through the trimmer and trim to 1.75. Wether it neds it or not.

      I am assuming that you have already sized the cases?

      Comment

      • #4
        emptybottle151
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2010
        • 1503

        Anything under 1.760 (after full length resizing) gets tossed in the plinking box. Anything over gets trimmed down and tossed in the testing box. Since I'm using the lee trimmer with an electric hand drill. Trimming gets real tiresome.
        Last edited by emptybottle151; 03-30-2014, 11:46 AM.
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          highpower790
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2013
          • 3481

          The answer to such a basic question is going to be listed in a book that every reloader shoulder have.To meet my needs I have three books.
          Keep it simple!

          Comment

          • #6
            mark501w
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2011
            • 1699

            My guns won't let me go over 1.760.

            Comment

            • #7
              russt
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2012
              • 1039

              Anything over 1.760 gets trimmed, it seems like everytime i go to load about 25% needs trimming.

              Comment

              • #8
                Pauliedad
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Dec 2012
                • 2095

                Originally posted by highpower790
                The answer to such a basic question is going to be listed in a book that every reloader shoulder have.To meet my needs I have three books.
                I agree with the above information but not the answer.

                Some of those same books talk about trimming pistol brass as well and we all know in real life that's pretty rare so I would cut a guy some slack and remember that we all had some questions when we started.
                I get frustrated at times when the young'ns want the spoon fed answer but I have questions too and this forum is rich with experience.

                Maybe next time just keep clicking and chill with the warm and fuzzy grumpy guy stuff.

                Comment

                • #9
                  DuknBucks
                  Member
                  • May 2012
                  • 418

                  I use the Lee trimmer and case length guide......so i dont check that often

                  but now that you mentioned it I started checking some of my brass (with calipers) many measure 1.47ish ??? that seems a little short but i dont recall ever having a problem before and this will be second or third time reloading.
                  sigpic
                  Most of the further discussion beyond the clear concise answer is usually people just trying to convince others that the Penal Code/Case Law doesn't really apply because their uncle's friend's cousin's son-in-law works as a gardener for a retired judge from another state who might or might not have said he doesn't think it applies to a certain case that has absolutely nothing to do with the question the OP asked.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    NRAhighpowershooter
                    Super Moderator
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Jun 2003
                    • 6485

                    i keep all my 223 brass between 1.750 and 1.7525 jjust to keep my loads uniform
                    'Just Don't Point, Squint, and Laugh! '

                    Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2220

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      koehn,jim
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2013
                      • 643

                      I use the rcbs-x dies and don't worry about it. I trim them the first time to spec and after that the dies keep them from growing. It also prolongs the case life and is worth the cost of the dies.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        bearingar15
                        Junior Member
                        • Feb 2013
                        • 85

                        I don't really measure my plinking brass. My trimmer is set to a length of 1.750 and I run everything through it. Everything ends up </= 1.750 without having to spend time measuring.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          gunhun
                          Member
                          • Nov 2012
                          • 371

                          I do a quick case length measure on every case, using Lyman Ezee case gage. You can use this for all commonly used cartridges. If it's too long (>1.76), on to the trimmer. Usually about a quarter of the cases are too long.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            ireload
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2009
                            • 2589

                            Mine are trimmed to 1.750" even if they are just .002" over. I like uniformity when it come of case length since I crimp my loads.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1