Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

460 SW Mgnum- dies and loading

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Maddawg46
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2012
    • 728

    460 SW Mgnum- dies and loading

    I just bought a 460 and purchased some 460 Hornady ammo and some .45 Colt . So can I use the 45 colt dies for both? I do not have dies for either yet. Also who makes 460 dies. The Hornady 200 gr. ammo is pretty resonable, but othe Federal and Winchester ammo is $75 to $80 for 20!
    I have a Dillon 550, but Dillon does not make a shell plate for the 460. Wonder if I should buy one of those Lee hand presses?
    This year will go down in history.... Don't want to offend anybody
  • #2
    Dark Mod
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2011
    • 4284

    Lee makes dies for the .460, I dont know that 45 colt dies will work for 460, but 460 dies should work for 45 colt.

    Maybe its time to get a single stage, they are incredibly useful

    Comment

    • #3
      sofbak
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2010
      • 2628

      Originally posted by Maddawg46
      I just bought a 460 and purchased some 460 Hornady ammo and some .45 Colt . So can I use the 45 colt dies for both? I do not have dies for either yet. Also who makes 460 dies. The Hornady 200 gr. ammo is pretty resonable, but othe Federal and Winchester ammo is $75 to $80 for 20!
      I have a Dillon 550, but Dillon does not make a shell plate for the 460. Wonder if I should buy one of those Lee hand presses?
      Looks like the .460 shell plate is Dillon Part #C-13334 that is applicable for .45 colt, .454 Casull, and .460 S&W according to the chart on Brian Enos' page:

      Tire kickers gonna kick,
      Nose pickers gonna pick
      I and others know the real

      Comment

      • #4
        IntoForever
        CGSSA Associate
        • Sep 2010
        • 3891

        The Lee shell holder for one will hold the other. The .460 dies might not get the bullet seating right or the crimp and the .45LC might not get the full length sizing done right. With that hand press, you're going to get a good work out. The single stage should cost a few $$ less and will work.

        Please note: I strongly recommend getting the right dies for each cartridge instead of screwing around with the wrong set up.
        With all this "gun control" talk, I've not heard one politician say how they plan on taking guns from criminals, just law abiding Citizens.

        Originally posted by Nose Nuggets
        5 guys, hot damn thats some good eat'n.
        Originally posted by pyromensch
        damn, i duped my own thread...first time i did a poll

        Comment

        • #5
          chango17
          Member
          • Jul 2012
          • 350

          I would suggest purchasing the RCBS carbide dies. They cost more than the Lee but they work way better. The lee dies have a powder through expander die that sucks! Also the RCBS dies are way easier to adjust. You are spending about $20 more but you will be glad you did.

          Comment

          • #6
            Whiterabbit
            Calguns Addict
            • Oct 2010
            • 7599

            yes the 45 colt dies work just fine. That being said, I use RCBS 460 dies. They also work. So I use those preferentially.

            guy on cast boolits is selling a conversion for Dillon and 460. but that might be a 650 conversion, not 550.

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1