Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Do these cases looked trimmed appropriately?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Cult Hero
    Member
    • Apr 2011
    • 192

    So you will just seat deeper to get them to fit your pmags vs bolt? Do you notice any differences in velocity or accuracy?

    I am currently experimenting and will more than likely end up with one load that I use as a workhorse load and one or two that become my specialty. That is the plan at least.

    Comment

    • #17
      MR_X
      Member
      • Jul 2013
      • 424

      Decreeing the OAL, decreases the internal volume of the case. When you do that the internal pressure increases. A little bit MIGHT be okay but as much as you doing is a bit too much for comfort. Then also take into consideration that the projectile you are using is pretty long so you are probably compressing your powder. This further increases the internal pressure and burn rate is increases. Think of the difference between a flare (controlled burn) vs a pipe bomb (compressed).

      Not worth the risk.

      Comment

      • #18
        mark501w
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2011
        • 1699

        Yes, I liked .015 off the lands but, couldn't use the mag (bolt or auto) for repeating shots. So I load to mag length. You my find a cross over load that works great. I load to the individual rifle. Don't get me wrong I like single shots.

        Comment

        • #19
          mark501w
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2011
          • 1699

          IMR powders like to be compressed they're not like Ball powders the best loading density you can get is with compression.

          Comment

          • #20
            Cult Hero
            Member
            • Apr 2011
            • 192

            ha, now I am really confused. ha ha

            Comment

            • #21
              FormerBiker
              Member
              • Aug 2013
              • 217

              According to Hodgon's site IMR 4064 loaded to 21 gr w/ a 75gr jacketed should have the OL of 2.250 w/ case length of 1.750.

              If you want to know what the Democrats are up to, just listen to what they accuse the Republicans of doing.

              Comment

              • #22
                Cult Hero
                Member
                • Apr 2011
                • 192

                Originally posted by FormerBiker
                According to Hodgon's site IMR 4064 loaded to 21 gr w/ a 75gr jacketed should have the OL of 2.250 w/ case length of 1.750.

                http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
                Which is exactly what I went off of. Hornady don't have any online data so I checked with IMR.

                Comment

                • #23
                  FormerBiker
                  Member
                  • Aug 2013
                  • 217

                  Originally posted by Cult Hero
                  Which is exactly what I went off of. Hornady don't have any online data so I checked with IMR.
                  Just use your dial caliper and check the OL. If its is at that measurement you are good to go.

                  Glad you are being cautious. I know I'm overly so. Must have been all that physics I took.
                  If you want to know what the Democrats are up to, just listen to what they accuse the Republicans of doing.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Cult Hero
                    Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • 192

                    I already did. I checked every case that came off the trimmer and I checked every cartridge after I loaded it. They are all within 3/100'ths of an inch. I know the powder isn't compressed as I can hear it when I shake the cartridges.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      MR_X
                      Member
                      • Jul 2013
                      • 424

                      Originally posted by FormerBiker
                      According to Hodgon's site IMR 4064 loaded to 21 gr w/ a 75gr jacketed should have the OL of 2.250 w/ case length of 1.750.

                      http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
                      Originally posted by Cult Hero
                      Which is exactly what I went off of. Hornady don't have any online data so I checked with IMR.
                      That's because Hodgdon website used a Berger bullet which is shorter than the Hornady A-Max



                      Hornady doesn't even have a recipe for IMR 4064 for that bullet.


                      Last edited by MR_X; 03-24-2014, 3:37 PM.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        mark501w
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2011
                        • 1699

                        If your that worried take your hammer bullet puller & tap it out a little & readjust your die so that the cartridge bearly fits. I'am no fan of my pmags I like the metallic mag better.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Cult Hero
                          Member
                          • Apr 2011
                          • 192

                          I am going to call Hornady tomorrow but the place I bought the bullets from told me just to shoot them. Said it should be fine.

                          Here is a better shot of they chamfering and a macro of the bullet



                          Comment

                          • #28
                            MR_X
                            Member
                            • Jul 2013
                            • 424

                            Chamfering IMO is a bit excessive but not terrible.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              bsumoba
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 2012
                              • 4217

                              Originally posted by Cult Hero
                              I am going to call Hornady tomorrow but the place I bought the bullets from told me just to shoot them. Said it should be fine.

                              Here is a better shot of they chamfering and a macro of the bullet



                              I would do less chamfering on the brass. are you doing the inside as well?

                              The bullet just looks weird with the edge of the brass looking as if its overlapping the bullet.

                              I usually load my 77gr'ers @ 2.260" OAL, which are working in my pmags.

                              if the books say its okay, then its probably okay.
                              Visit- www.barrelcool.com
                              The Original Chamber Flag and Barrel Cooler in 1
                              Instagram: barrelcool_

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Cult Hero
                                Member
                                • Apr 2011
                                • 192

                                I can back off the chamfering a little bit.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1