Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Crimp Question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Aldemar
    On Everyone's Ignore List
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Dec 2007
    • 4707

    Crimp Question

    I've been using either plated or FMJ's on my revolver reloads using a taper crimp since there is no cannelure on the bullets.

    I recently purchased some bullets which do have said cannelure. Would I be wise to purchase a roll crimp die or will the taper crimp die work sufficiently?
    AL
    CGF Contributor
    NRA Golden Eagle

    Being north of
    70 has definite advantages: I was able to do all my stupid stuff before video cameras, smartphones, utube, and the internet.
  • #2
    bsumoba
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2012
    • 4217

    I only roll crimp my revolver stuff like my 38special and 357 mag that have a cannelure.

    My 9mm stuff, i do use a taper crimp, but not a roll crimp. IMO, I think the taper crimp is fine on the cannelure bullets
    Visit- www.barrelcool.com
    The Original Chamber Flag and Barrel Cooler in 1
    Instagram: barrelcool_

    Comment

    • #3
      pdq_wizzard
      Veteran Member
      • May 2008
      • 3813

      Originally posted by Aldemar
      I've been using either plated or FMJ's on my revolver reloads using a taper crimp since there is no cannelure on the bullets.

      I recently purchased some bullets which do have said cannelure. Would I be wise to purchase a roll crimp die or will the taper crimp die work sufficiently?
      I would say if everything is working stay the course, if you see un-burnt powder try a roll crimp.

      or if you are using them in a tube feed rifle you really want a roll crimp.
      Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for Clunkers" program?
      A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road.

      Originally posted by M. Sage
      More what? More crazy?
      You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.

      Comment

      • #4
        Aldemar
        On Everyone's Ignore List
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Dec 2007
        • 4707

        Haven't loaded any yet, hence the question. I don't have any issues with .38/357 or .44spl/mag using the taper crimp on plated/fmj's.

        Guess I didn't ask the real question.....will the taper crimp die "roll" the crimp into the cannelure sufficiently or should I invest in the proper roll crimp die?
        AL
        CGF Contributor
        NRA Golden Eagle

        Being north of
        70 has definite advantages: I was able to do all my stupid stuff before video cameras, smartphones, utube, and the internet.

        Comment

        • #5
          pdq_wizzard
          Veteran Member
          • May 2008
          • 3813



          I get a very nice crimp with my RCBS seating die

          Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
          Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for Clunkers" program?
          A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road.

          Originally posted by M. Sage
          More what? More crazy?
          You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.

          Comment

          • #6
            J-cat
            Calguns Addict
            • May 2005
            • 6626

            You can taper crimp into the cannelure. I actually prefer to apply a heavy taper crimp instead of a roll crimp because the roll crimp rears up the case mouth too much.

            Comment

            • #7
              bigedp51
              Member
              • Dec 2009
              • 263

              Over 75% of my crimps are taper crimp in my revolvers BUT with slower burning powders and hotter loads I will use a roll crimp





              Below are two light practice loads for my model 29 .44 magnum with a five inch barrel. The powder is 100% burnt at 4.2 inches and 2.4 inches meaning you don't need a bone crushing crimp on fast to medium burning rate powders. If you would switch to 296 a very slow powder you need a good crimp and the powder would still not be 100% burnt in a 20 inch barrel. Meaning the type crimp and the degree of crimp depends a great deal on the burning rate of the powder.



              Comment

              • #8
                Spdjunkie
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2006
                • 1977

                Only wheel guns I load for are .38 Special
                The load is a very light WC Target load using W231

                - Plated DEWC w/ a Taper Crimp

                Comment

                • #9
                  Germz
                  Vendor/Retailer
                  • Apr 2013
                  • 4691

                  The use of appropriate powder for the selected projectile can omit the necessity for crimping (to acheive proper pressure levels) as well.
                  Retired Account

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1