Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.22lr that mics out to .221

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Ninety
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2012
    • 4062

    .22lr that mics out to .221

    Can some of you mic out your ammo? Or do you know of a readily available source to find out this information?

    I have looked at a couple of manf. websites but they didn't seem to state what their bullets mic out at, unless I missed it. . .

    Thank you ..

    It's for a 22lr conversion on a 5.45 rifle

    We mic'd some out the other nite and some were .223 some were .221
    NRA Member
    The Constitution does not bestow wisdom. It's up to the body politic to be wise. -Patriot
    All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.
    -Edmund Burke
    I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
    - Phil Dalmolin

    The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
  • #2
    Bastard
    • Jul 2009
    • 2209

    externally lubricated - more than likely the cause of the variations

    also you would probably have better luck in the rimfire section

    Comment

    • #3
      thenodnarb
      Veteran Member
      • May 2009
      • 2603

      Why on earth are you measuring? .22lr is perfect for that bore, even better than .223 or 5.56.
      Even if its 1 thou or 2 thou over, that should be fine. lead bullets swage down just fine.

      How I Powder Coat Pistol Bullets
      How I Powder Coat Rifle Bullets

      Comment

      • #4
        rg1
        Member
        • May 2008
        • 274

        Not precise measurements since 22 RF bullets are coated with different lubes:
        Winchester Super-X 36 gr HP----.223"
        Remington Thunderbolt----------.224"
        CCI Green Tag--------------------.224.5"
        CCI Mini Mag 36 HP---------------.224"
        Your measurements on your .22's may differ from mine.

        Comment

        • #5
          Ninety
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2012
          • 4062

          Ty rg1
          We measured some cci and it was .221..

          I was a little worried that there might not be enough powder behind the 22lr..
          Also found this
          The nominal bore diameter for .22 rimfire, be it short, long, or long rifle (exclusive of .22 WMR which is
          .224") is .222". However, it is not uncommon for barrels rifled at different times in the life of the button to
          measure in excess of that by almost .001".

          It is unlikely that CMMG would intentionally choose a barrel with a bore of .223" as there is no economic
          advantage to doing so and would result in negative feedback from the shooting community over poor accuracy.

          Of even greater concern to a rifleman is the chamber. Ruger offers a 10-22 with a tight chamber (like
          a Bentz) that is slightly longer than a tight European match bolt chamber, but is shorter than most
          general purpose semi-auto .22lr chambers. This gives a boost to accuracy and yet will allow for the extraction of a live round.
          CMMG prides itself on the live round extraction feature, which tells you something about their chamber.
          I suspect the CMMG barrel uses the standard .22lr semi-auto reamer that will enable the gun to run in rapid fire
          without jamming using a wide variety of ammunition.

          If your reason for asking the dimesnion is driven by a desire for accuracy or merely as a curiosity I can see no harm in it, but be
          aware that .001" one way or another is not the end all when it comes to rimfire accuracy as many other factors go in to the mix
          of variables which make or break an accurate firearm.

          Hope you get your answer,
          Ted
          AFSC2W171Z [Member]
          From Ar15.comhttp://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...f=145&t=202866


          I had asked in another thread and was surprised no real responses.. also a little surprised it hasn't come up before.. I'm just trying to avoid building a dedicated 22lr or another 223. as the one 223 AR I have I really don't want to shoot 22lr out of it. The idea is to mill down a conversion kit to work with my 5.45 build. Would make it a cheap shooter but who knows.. Haven't really received any feedback on it.



          Sent from an electronic tracking device
          Last edited by Ninety; 03-15-2014, 9:17 PM.
          NRA Member
          The Constitution does not bestow wisdom. It's up to the body politic to be wise. -Patriot
          All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.
          -Edmund Burke
          I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
          - Phil Dalmolin

          The Battle of Athens was illegal too.

          Comment

          • #6
            thenodnarb
            Veteran Member
            • May 2009
            • 2603

            a conversion kit for a 5.45 AK sounds awesome. Wikipedia says the standard twist rate for a 5.45 is 1 in 10. That's still too fast for .22 but the smaller groove diameter should still lead to much better accuracy than that in AR's in .223

            Of course the other inherent problem with conversion kits is the long unrifled lead caused by the conversion chamber.
            Don't worry about bullet diameter just yet. It shouldn't be a problem.

            How I Powder Coat Pistol Bullets
            How I Powder Coat Rifle Bullets

            Comment

            • #7
              rsrocket1
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2010
              • 2772

              I believe the SAAMI specifications are .217 bore diameter and .222 groove diameter for the .22 long rifle, and .219 bore diameter and .224 groove diameter for the 223 remington. A .221" 22LR will likely bump up in a 22LR gun. It may or may not bump up to completely seal the gases in a SAAMI spec .223 barrel, but it will very likely engage the rifling and spin so you should get fairly accurate shots. Will you get 1MOA accuracy? Only you can test that out. Will it lead the barrel? Again, only you can test that out and even if you do, you can clean it out in 1 minute with a bore mop and Chore Boy strand.

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1