Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

223 Remington casings

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Craigwood
    Member
    • Sep 2010
    • 265

    223 Remington casings

    I have about a thousands new 223 casings. I see that they have an annealing heat process added them. When I use a once fired or several other casings I have collected on the range grounds from others........

    How many times can the rifle round be reloaded before I no longer use?
    And if I do how often is an annealing done? Will a propane torch be sufficient? And how many times can it be annealed? If and when required.
    "One Useless Man is a Shame. Two are a Law firm. Three or More are a Congress".

    'John Adams'
  • #2
    milotrain
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2011
    • 4301

    There is a great article over on accurate shooter about annealing.
    weg: That device is obsolete now. They replaced it with wizards.
    frank: Wait a minute. There are more than one wizard? Is [are?] the wizard calibrated?

    Comment

    • #3
      J-cat
      Calguns Addict
      • May 2005
      • 6626

      All factory new cases are annealed. Some are polished prior to leaving the factory which removes the evidence. This is done because some mentally challenged persons are offended by annealing marks.

      If you anneal correctly, you can do it after every firing to maintain that nice factory case neck tension. A case can theoretically go 10-15 times before splitting the neck, but it gets harder after every firing and the neck tension changes. This is especially important if you use bushing dies to size the neck minimally.

      I anneal after every firing. I use a micro-torch. It has a small flame and I am better able to control the temperature.

      Comment

      • #4
        Craigwood
        Member
        • Sep 2010
        • 265

        How hot should the flame get. Someone at work had said he gets them red hot
        "One Useless Man is a Shame. Two are a Law firm. Three or More are a Congress".

        'John Adams'

        Comment

        • #5
          pdq_wizzard
          Veteran Member
          • May 2008
          • 3813

          Originally posted by Craigwood
          How hot should the flame get. Someone at work had said he gets them red hot
          I don't anneal my 223 brass anymore (it don't seem to start splitting before the primers start getting loose 8-10 reloads) also they seem to get lost at the range.

          as for my 30.06 / .243 and 30-30 I sit in a somewhat dark room and heat until they look red from the top of the neck to about 1/4" below the neck. It has seemed to work good for me. I know you don't want them too hot but if you don't get them hot enough you are just wasting time.
          Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for Clunkers" program?
          A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road.

          Originally posted by M. Sage
          More what? More crazy?
          You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.

          Comment

          • #6
            milotrain
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2011
            • 4301

            If you aren't using a temp stick then you are going to suffer a lot of ruined cases at first. Seriously, a forum is not a great place for "I've just heard about this thing, tell me all the things I need to know about it."

            Read this.
            weg: That device is obsolete now. They replaced it with wizards.
            frank: Wait a minute. There are more than one wizard? Is [are?] the wizard calibrated?

            Comment

            • #7
              J-cat
              Calguns Addict
              • May 2005
              • 6626

              Originally posted by Craigwood
              How hot should the flame get. Someone at work had said he gets them red hot
              Red hot is too hot.

              I use a medium flame and heat the neck until it turns dark brown and somewhat black at the flame's contact point.

              Comment

              • #8
                Craigwood
                Member
                • Sep 2010
                • 265

                and do I resize before or after annealing
                "One Useless Man is a Shame. Two are a Law firm. Three or More are a Congress".

                'John Adams'

                Comment

                • #9
                  J-cat
                  Calguns Addict
                  • May 2005
                  • 6626

                  After.

                  I have found I get less runout if I resize after annealing.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Craigwood
                    Member
                    • Sep 2010
                    • 265

                    please explain the term "runout"
                    "One Useless Man is a Shame. Two are a Law firm. Three or More are a Congress".

                    'John Adams'

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      milotrain
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2011
                      • 4301

                      Runout

                      Alternatly
                      weg: That device is obsolete now. They replaced it with wizards.
                      frank: Wait a minute. There are more than one wizard? Is [are?] the wizard calibrated?

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        BigJ
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2010
                        • 3172

                        Originally posted by J-cat
                        Red hot is too hot.

                        I use a medium flame and heat the neck until it turns dark brown and somewhat black at the flame's contact point.
                        +1. Red is way too hot. Your target temp should be somewhere around 750-800deg, for a few seconds. Brass starts to glow orange at 950. Red is probably 100+ deg even beyond that.

                        If you don't quite have the timing down and you're looking for a visual queue, apply a swipe of 750deg temperature indicating fluid and flip the case out of the flame as soon as it starts to indicate.

                        As for the process, check out the Anneal Rite for a pretty solid home solution for relatively cheap:

                        "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave." - Elmer Davis

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          cruddymutt
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2009
                          • 1589

                          +1 on red hot is too hot. lots of videos on Youtube also. I get mine just where it starts to turn a blueish color and instantly drop them in water.
                          I only anneal cases when I modify them ie. 30-06 into 8mm Mauser or 223 into 300 BLK. The reason to anneal is that each time the brass is worked (resized, etc) it gets a little bit harder. Annealing (correctly) "softens" the brass. I no longer anneal after each firing as I personally do not see an advantage but I do anneal when doing a major reforming as stated above. IMO the brass gets a pretty hefty workout on a reform especially when the new shoulder/neck is where the body of the parent case was. My .02.
                          sigpic
                          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Dutch Henry
                            Senior Member
                            • Feb 2012
                            • 733

                            I don't bother to anneal. It's not a bad idea, but I just choose not to do it and brass isn't that expensive.

                            My rule of thumb is to shoot moderate loads, about 200-300 fps under factory specs, and I only trim brass four times before scrapping it. YMMV

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1