Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Thought I would share my SCAR 17 load workups

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • sammy
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • 3847

    Thought I would share my SCAR 17 load workups

    About a week ago I picked up a new SCAR 17. What an amazing rifle. Only complaint is the 16" barrel. Too short for 308 in my book but if they ever make an 18" it will be on my Christmas list.

    After playing with irons for a while I decided to mount up a Vortex Viper 2.5x10 to test some loads. Since this is my only 308 and having never loaded it factory ammo was needed simply for the brass.

    First up was CBC that comes in a bulk 50 round pack. It looks nice but the best groups I could muster were a very disappointing 5" (all groups are at 100 yards). This had me very concerned. Next up was PMC 147g. It shot about 3" which is still far from what I would expect.

    Midway had some 155 grain Nosler BTHP and Widners had standard 147g. M80 ball. I loaded up the 155 grain bullets with Varget and the 147's with 748. About 70 degrees F no wind.

    With a total of about 150 rounds through the barrel here are my results of the day.

    First up are the 147g. M80 2.82 OAL Winchester primer GGG brass

    44 grains 748 2400fps
    44.6 grains 748 2440fps
    45.6 grains 748 2490fps
    46.5 grains 748 2540fps
    47.2 grains 748 2560fps




    Next up is the 155 grain Nosler BTHP 2.818 OAL Winchester primer Lake City cases.
    The first group is 10 shots and I decided to do 5 shot groups due to time constraints.

    42.3 Varget 2410fps
    42.9 Varget 2450fps
    43.5 Varget 2485fps
    44.2 Varget 2500fps
    45.1 Varget 2550fps
    45.8 Varget 2610fps




    Well the gun likes 45.1 Grains of Varget. It might be a fluke but I am going to load up more and see what happens.



    The 147 grain bullets are disappointing. I am going to try using Hodgdon 335 and work it up.

    If anyone has a recipe for the 147 grain M80's I would like to hear it.

    Thanks, Sammy
  • #2
    G38xOC
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2009
    • 3749

    Bet 45.1 made ur day tho. Good shooting

    Comment

    • #3
      bsumoba
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2012
      • 4217

      cool. sounds like you found a node. now, you just need to see if you have a stable powder range. i would recommend the following:

      44.8 - 45.0 - 45.2

      If the POI is relatively the same and you're getting good groups, then you know you got a good powder charge range.

      good luck.
      Visit- www.barrelcool.com
      The Original Chamber Flag and Barrel Cooler in 1
      Instagram: barrelcool_

      Comment

      • #4
        ptmn
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2012
        • 789

        We grouped 1 1/8" at 100yds in our SCAR shorty using 42.3gr BLC-2, WLR primers, Federal cases, Hornady 168gr BTHP, seated to 2.800" and a slight crimp using the Lee Factory Crimp die
        . Tried the same load with the Sierra 168, but it didn't group as well as the Hornady in this load

        Comment

        • #5
          hemiguy55
          STUD MUFFIN
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Nov 2011
          • 825

          Tagged
          Originally posted by starsnuffer
          Taking legal advice from a gun store owner or employee is like taking dietary advice at the McDonald's drive through. Just don't.

          -W

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1