Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Question about reloading 6.8 SPC

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 1HitaQuita
    Member
    • Dec 2013
    • 251

    Question about reloading 6.8 SPC

    This may seem like a dumb question, & yes I searched but got no real definitive answer. So here it goes:

    Does the 6.8 SPC use brass from another cartridge or does it have it's own separate brass? (Ex. 300 blackout uses 223 brass, 243 uses 308 brass, etc). I'm asking because I'm considering a 6.8 SPC but if brass is not widely available then for me it's just not beneficial. Thx
  • #2
    Bumslie
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Oct 2011
    • 5358

    I may be wrong, but I think you can form it from .30 Remington brass, which is another oddball.
    NRA Life Member
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, and common sense. Some overly sensitive "men" will be offended.
    Originally posted by ivanimal
    I love you! (some Homo)
    Originally posted by ivanimal
    I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
    Originally posted by Kestryll
    OP you are an uninformed tool.
    Go Broncos!
    Go Kings Go!

    Comment

    • #3
      LTC-J
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2012
      • 1224

      You might try asking the question over on:
      A forum community dedicated to 6.8 SPC firearm owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!


      From what I recall, it is its own unique case.

      I won't say it is "hard" to get but you don't go to Walmart and find brass everywhere

      Comment

      • #4
        pdq_wizzard
        Veteran Member
        • May 2008
        • 3813

        the price of 6.8 brass is insane, I just bought a bunch of Hornady loaded ammo @ $20 a box so that is $1 for each piece of brass + I get to shoot it first

        the best I have seen for once fired has been ~ $0.75 each

        I love the round, and now that I have 300 or so pieces of brass I'm ok for now.

        I don't shoot the 6.8 like I do the .223 the .223 is for plinking / blasting. but the 6.8 I shoot more like my 243 or 30-06 just to $$ to blast ammo.
        Q: What was the most positive result of the "Cash for Clunkers" program?
        A: It took 95% of the Obama bumper stickers off the road.

        Originally posted by M. Sage
        More what? More crazy?
        You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.

        Comment

        • #5
          RookieShooter
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2009
          • 1952

          Originally posted by 1HitaQuita
          This may seem like a dumb question, & yes I searched but got no real definitive answer. So here it goes:

          Does the 6.8 SPC use brass from another cartridge or does it have it's own separate brass? (Ex. 300 blackout uses 223 brass, 243 uses 308 brass, etc). I'm asking because I'm considering a 6.8 SPC but if brass is not widely available then for me it's just not beneficial. Thx
          6.8 SPC has their own unique case so you can't use other brass for substitution. Most of the 6.8 SPC brass use small primers but I've seen some that has large primers such as Remington brass. The price of the brass and ammunition is outrageous so I just buy a bunch of them, shoot them and reload them.
          sigpic
          _____________
          NRA Life Member

          Comment

          • #6
            1HitaQuita
            Member
            • Dec 2013
            • 251

            Thx for the answers! Looks like I won't be getting a 6.8

            Comment

            • #7
              Sky_DiveR
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2008
              • 3017

              Originally posted by Bumslie
              I may be wrong, but I think you can form it from .30 Remington brass, which is another oddball.
              ^ This. The 30 Remington is the parent case and almost impossible to find.

              If you're looking for a round with a common parent case (other than 300BLK), take a look at the 6.5 Grendel. It's parent case is the 7.62x39 round.
              Last edited by Sky_DiveR; 02-19-2014, 7:19 PM.

              Comment

              • #8
                klewan
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2011
                • 3031



                220 Russian is the parent cartridge; another expensive oddball. The small diameter of the 223 causes most of the problems; it's .378". Nothing a little bigger than that has ever become popular.

                Comment

                • #9
                  1HitaQuita
                  Member
                  • Dec 2013
                  • 251

                  Originally posted by Sky_DiveR
                  ^ This. The 30 Remington is the parent case and almost impossible to find.

                  If you're looking for a round with a common parent case (other than 300BLK), take a look at the 6.5 Grendel. It's parent case is the 7.62x39 round.
                  Thx I'll check it out

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Sky_DiveR
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 3017

                    Originally posted by klewan
                    ...220 Russian is the parent cartridge;
                    Can you take a guess what is the parent cartridge for the .220 Russian?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ptmn
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2012
                      • 789

                      I bought my once fired 6.8 brass direct from LWRC. Check their website to see if they have any on stock. They gave me a military discount on my order after I called them to inquire

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Bumslie
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Oct 2011
                        • 5358

                        Originally posted by Sky_DiveR
                        Can you take a guess what is the parent cartridge for the .220 Russian?
                        Lol
                        NRA Life Member
                        WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, and common sense. Some overly sensitive "men" will be offended.
                        Originally posted by ivanimal
                        I love you! (some Homo)
                        Originally posted by ivanimal
                        I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
                        Originally posted by Kestryll
                        OP you are an uninformed tool.
                        Go Broncos!
                        Go Kings Go!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          klewan
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2011
                          • 3031

                          Originally posted by Sky_DiveR
                          Can you take a guess what is the parent cartridge for the .220 Russian?
                          It's a small primer AK, same as used in the PPC's. They evidently felt the small primer was important, otherwise they could have made it with the AK. But they didn't.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Sky_DiveR
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 3017

                            Originally posted by klewan
                            It's a small primer AK, same as used in the PPC's. They evidently felt the small primer was important, otherwise they could have made it with the AK. But they didn't.
                            You're absolutely right. I forgot the Grendel uses SRP.
                            And here I was sucking up all the cheap 7.62x39 brass I could find and resizing em. They still seem to work tho.
                            When I first bought my 6.5G there wasn't any ammo to be found much less brass (kinda like now) and I read you could resize x39 brass. Guess I should start looking for some cheap PPC or Grendel brass.
                            Last edited by Sky_DiveR; 02-21-2014, 7:02 PM.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              klewan
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2011
                              • 3031

                              Originally posted by Sky_DiveR
                              You're absolutely right. I forgot the Grendel uses SRP.
                              And here I was sucking up all the cheap 7.62x39 brass I could find and resizing em. They still seem to work tho.
                              When I first bought my 6.5G there wasn't any ammo to be found much less brass (kinda like now) and I read you could resize x39 brass. Guess I should start looking for some cheap PPC or Grendel brass.
                              Good luck on finding small primer brass. It's been 40 years since the PPC's came around, and it's still expensive. If you want to name one thing about 300BLK that makes it popular, it's a source of cheap brass. All the rest of what you need, barrel, bullets, are around and cheap. When it costs $1+ everytime you pull the trigger, it tends to damp down popularity. If you can reload the brass, then you can make it work.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1