Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Bullet cross reference

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bikr4jc
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Oct 2011
    • 1422

    Bullet cross reference

    Is there a place to find a cross reference for bullets..
    I bought some W-760 and Hornady SP 110G .30 cal bullets but cannot find load data, hodgdon only shows speer SP in that size, and my speer book is no help. I am green when it comes to this, just got my press today should have dies by next Monday.. Doing 300WinMag to start off. The bullets sites don't have specs on size to see if the speer and hornady are the same size...
    "T-Rex was a friendly Chap" Charles007 @ SSZS 6.5

    "To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788

    NRA Benefactor Life Member ~ CRPA Life Member
  • #2
    NorCalFocus
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2013
    • 3913

    What do want to know if they are the same for?

    Comment

    • #3
      OldShooter32
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2012
      • 2065

      Weight is your only concern for loads...work up to what groups best.,
      "If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals."

      Walnut media for bright brass
      http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=621214

      Comment

      • #4
        justMike
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2009
        • 796

        Personally I doubt there will be enough difference between the 110gr. Speer and the 110gr. Hornady to make any practical difference with the powder charges. Only so much metal there and both will have a flat base. Hornady's are supposed to have an improved ogive, so maybe a better Ballistic Coefficient? That matters downrange, but the light bullets are generally used at shorter ranges as I understand it. BTW my Speer #12 manual recommends magnum primers for W-760. Hope this is helpful.

        Comment

        • #5
          Divernhunter
          Calguns Addict
          • May 2010
          • 8753

          My question would be WHY would you want to load 110gr bullets in a 300mag. They are designed for the 30Carbine round. At least use 125-130gr bullets.
          You need Mag primers for 760 or any other ball powder. I use mag primers for all powders especially the mags. I get better groups and a lower SD on the chrono. Plus better performance when it gets cold and I am hunting.

          I have data and will have a bunch more once I get to the range on the 300win mag using 150 and 165gr bullets. I have some old data for 130gr bullets. If you want some help just PM me. If you are near me I will help get you started and you can go to the range with me.
          A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
          NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
          SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

          Comment

          • #6
            bikr4jc
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Oct 2011
            • 1422

            Yes I was wondering if they are the same size so I can use speer data.

            I do have Mag Primers.

            Why 110... Honestly I just thought it would be a fun light target round.. But this is a new gun and round for me and new to reloading so I guess I dont know squat..
            But I have a desire to learn...
            "T-Rex was a friendly Chap" Charles007 @ SSZS 6.5

            "To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788

            NRA Benefactor Life Member ~ CRPA Life Member

            Comment

            • #7
              Divernhunter
              Calguns Addict
              • May 2010
              • 8753

              Use 125gr Nosler BT or Hornady 130gr SP or Speer 130gr HP bullets and you will be happier with the results.
              With the 110gr bullets you can use speer or any other data.
              We all started sometime so need not worry. You will learn if you keep an open mind. Enjoy the hobby.
              A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
              NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
              SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

              Comment

              • #8
                6mmintl
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2008
                • 4822

                Why you would load 110 grain bullets in a 300mag is astonishing to me, wasting lots of powder, using bad bullets unless ground squirrel shooting at 500 yards, and you can bet on replacing the barrel around 1000 rounds.

                I would look at 150-180 grain bullets for 200-800 yards otherwise get a 22LR.

                Comment

                • #9
                  bikr4jc
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Oct 2011
                  • 1422

                  Originally posted by Divernhunter
                  Use 125gr Nosler BT or Hornady 130gr SP or Speer 130gr HP bullets and you will be happier with the results.
                  With the 110gr bullets you can use speer or any other data.
                  We all started sometime so need not worry. You will learn if you keep an open mind. Enjoy the hobby.
                  Thanks for your helpful info, I might just pick up a heavier grain...
                  "T-Rex was a friendly Chap" Charles007 @ SSZS 6.5

                  "To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788

                  NRA Benefactor Life Member ~ CRPA Life Member

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    bikr4jc
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Oct 2011
                    • 1422

                    Update,
                    Picked up some Sierra Spritzer boat tail 180Gr, of course the only data I can find is the Speer 180gr boat tail and they look the same in the drawings so I am going to use the data for the Speer round. Going to load some up for the SSZS next week... Thanks for eveyone's comments..
                    "T-Rex was a friendly Chap" Charles007 @ SSZS 6.5

                    "To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788

                    NRA Benefactor Life Member ~ CRPA Life Member

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      CSACANNONEER
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Dec 2006
                      • 44094

                      Originally posted by OldShooter32
                      Weight is your only concern for loads...work up to what groups best.,
                      No, bearing surface comes into play as well as the material(s) the projectile is made from.
                      NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                      California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                      Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                      Utah CCW Instructor


                      Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                      sigpic
                      CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                      KM6WLV

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        stevec223
                        Senior Member
                        • Jul 2011
                        • 1620

                        Save the 110gr. bullets for your 308... Speer 125gr. tnt bullets for 308 ,, 30-06 or 300 mag... Load them under 3k fps and have fun,,, dont heat up your barrel to much and you should be gtg... Cheers...

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1