Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Cost Analysis for New/Prospecting 'Loaders

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Fizz
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2012
    • 1473

    Cost Analysis for New/Prospecting 'Loaders

    I made a spreadsheet that does cost analysis on those that are considering starting reloading. This isn't the version that I based my purchasing decisions on, this is one I created just now to generalize it a bit and make it a bit more universal for others who might be interested.

    You input your costs (Fixed and Variable) and it will calculate how much you save per cartridge (up to 4 calibers/recipes), when your break even point is (in number of cartridges). It also allows you to view the differences between buying commercial projectiles and casting your own (and automatically excludes fixed casting costs in this case).

    Considerations:

    - Assumes if you don't pay tax at sale time, you aren't claiming it on your state return (cough).
    - Geared towards prospecting 'loaders, not those who already do
    - Doesn't account for depreciation
    - Doesn't account for your time
    - Doesn't account for incidental costs (but if you calculate them manually you can add them as a fixed cost as long as it's not incurred per unit made).
    - Assumes that your casting alloy will turn into projectiles with 100% efficiency
    - Break even calculated if only one recipe is made
    - All variable costs are only considered on a per unit basis. If you bought $10k worth of primers. You're out $10k dollars but the sheet only cares what that means per unit made. (If you bulk bought one variable component in excess compared to others your results may be skewed).
    - Doesn't have a place to input brass. You'll need to make your own adjustments. For many, this can be considered a fixed costs as you can use a piece of brass indefinitely. For Rifle/extra hot pistol loads this may not be the case.

    How to use:

    - Orange fields require input, light blue calc'ed for you.
    - Enter your Tax rate in the upper right
    - If you don't have tax/shipping info but only a total, that works. Say "n" to tax and 0 for shipping. It just means it's harder to compare part sources.
    - Contribution Margin (how much you save that will be applied towards recouping your fixed costs) is calculated vs Commercial ammo costs. Changes in retail ammo prices/taxes/shipping, etc. can have significant impact on your return quantities.
    - You can use the multiple calibers fields to either compare different recipes for one caliber, or compare completely different cartridges and their respective payback quantities. If you make 50% of one and 50% of another, halve your break even point of each to find out how much you need to make of both to break even.
    - Some example data preloaded to see what does what
    *DISCLAIMER* - First draft of this. Good chance there will be errors in labeling or math. Don't make any purchasing decisions based on this until you've verified the outputs make sense.

    Let me know if this is useful/any changes/tweaks needed.

    *PREVIOUS VERSION HAD SOME ISSUES WITH TAX CALCULATION, USE 1.2 attached*
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Fizz; 01-16-2014, 8:45 PM.
  • #2
    the86d
    Calguns Addict
    • Jul 2011
    • 9591

    For J5 you could change the formula to "=IF(SUM(F5:H5)=0,"",SUM(F5:H5))", and K5 to"=IF(J5<>0,"",J5/(I5*7000))". D80 could then be changed to "=IF(J5<>0,"",K5*C80)" and similar #DIV/0! errors could be eliminated, and downfill her friends.

    You could implement similar IF() statements everywhere there is a DIV/0 and use if statements to check for numbers in cells that have a dependency on a number.

    It also seems that the tax-calc-cells are looking for a "y", not '"Y" or "y"'. This could cause issues in the primer info as there is an uppercase "Y" in it's dependent cell to calc tax.

    What you made is pretty-nice, and very similar to what I did, (I just use black/white, I guess I am a minimalist) I am just trying to help clean-up some of the clutter if cells are blank, or the wrong case.
    Last edited by the86d; 01-15-2014, 6:02 AM.

    Comment

    • #3
      Fizz
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2012
      • 1473

      Thanks! I left the cells with the DIV/0 errors since it calls out that there's a problem. I haven't tried your formula, but it looks like if you use that method and forget to put weight, there will just be no output instead of an error where someone may be expecting a value.

      In my version of excel, the IF statement for tax in primers doesnt appear to be case sensitive.Y or y or n or N Or tax="ponies" have expected results.

      Yeah I black/white my personal analysis. I also hardcoded tax calculation into formula instead of a cell, etc. BUT, wanted something that you don't need to be an excel expert to change.

      That said, I'm in IT but I work in excel pretty much never (at least for operations that use formulas/variables)

      Comment

      • #4
        the86d
        Calguns Addict
        • Jul 2011
        • 9591

        Maybe a nested OR statement inside the IF would work?

        I work in IT also, so I don't use Excel like most people here that work in our Finance Dept, (or the cube-monkeys that just copy-paste into, and out of Excel all day) so I am not Excel ninja either. (Hell, I have never needed to use [pivot?-]tables for anything work-related, as of yet.) I learn when I try to do something I never needed before, or have to remember (relearn? ) how to do something I hadn't used in years.

        Thanks for dropping this worksheet for others to use!

        Comment

        • #5
          Fizz
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2012
          • 1473

          Excel-fu is formulaic martial art.

          Apparently one of which I'm not good at.

          Spotted some extraneous data in the basic reloading fixed cost area that probably stemmed from a dirty cut/paste when I made a separate table for casting fixed cost data.

          Fixed and updated OP.
          Last edited by Fizz; 01-15-2014, 1:06 PM.

          Comment

          • #6
            reckoner
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2011
            • 721

            I'm a fan of using COUNTA() inside IF() formulas to display the formula results only if all the necessary cells have data.

            Comment

            • #7
              Fizz
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2012
              • 1473

              Originally posted by reckoner
              I'm a fan of using COUNTA() inside IF() formulas to display the formula results only if all the necessary cells have data.
              Pleading ignorance. Can you post an example?

              Comment

              • #8
                reckoner
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2011
                • 721

                Say you want to add A1 to A3 together into cell A4, but you don't want to display anything in A4 unless A1 to A3 all have data.

                You can use =IF(COUNTA(A1:A3)=3, SUM(A1:A3), "")

                Comment

                • #9
                  roc_my_tims
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2011
                  • 1528

                  Tag

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    the86d
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jul 2011
                    • 9591

                    Originally posted by reckoner
                    Say you want to add A1 to A3 together into cell A4, but you don't want to display anything in A4 unless A1 to A3 all have data.

                    You can use =IF(COUNTA(A1:A3)=3, SUM(A1:A3), "")
                    Thank you, that will be most helpful in our future dealings!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      rdfact
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Nov 2012
                      • 2680

                      Good job Fizz. This is interesting. I would have thought it would take many more rounds to recoup my initial cost.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Full Clip
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Dec 2006
                        • 10266

                        Is there an updated version in the works or should I try this?
                        AND THANKS!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Bumslie
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Oct 2011
                          • 5358

                          Small business web hosting offering additional business services such as: domain name registrations, email accounts, web services, FrontPage help, online community resources and various small business solutions.
                          NRA Life Member
                          WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, and common sense. Some overly sensitive "men" will be offended.
                          Originally posted by ivanimal
                          I love you! (some Homo)
                          Originally posted by ivanimal
                          I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
                          Originally posted by Kestryll
                          OP you are an uninformed tool.
                          Go Broncos!
                          Go Kings Go!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Fizz
                            Senior Member
                            • Feb 2012
                            • 1473

                            Originally posted by Bumslie
                            Sweet.

                            I like this one; it offers a different perspective on payback period over time based on consumption rate. If your payback period occurs over a long period, this would definitely be a help as you can make valuation judgements on the time-value of money and reconcile other issues such as space/storage.

                            The approach mine takes it a bit more granular and let's you see the effect of tax and shipping changes instantly on individual components (VS this one which asks for shipping/tax totals); so you can also use it to figure out the best way to source consumables and fixed costs (you'll need to make a copy for fixed costs comparisons).

                            Also, no accommodations for evaluating casting.

                            Another tool in the box to make a valuation judgement on reloading
                            though.
                            Last edited by Fizz; 01-15-2014, 4:35 PM.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Fizz
                              Senior Member
                              • Feb 2012
                              • 1473

                              Originally posted by Full Clip
                              Is there an updated version in the works or should I try this?
                              AND THANKS!
                              I fixed some formula errors but that's currently reflected in the OP.

                              The changes we've been discussing so far are cosmetic; the sheet works as is.

                              Crunch some numbers and let me know how it works for you.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1