New to reloading for the M1 Garand, my CMP ammo is OAL at 3.25 I've matched that with my hand loads. I'm using IMR 4064 at 45.6 grains with a 150 grain bullet, I've made up 8 dummy rounds and they chamber and eject fine. how does this load sound for you Garand reloaders.
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
30-06
Collapse
X
-
There was a very similar thread a couple of weeks ago with a lot of good information: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=870874.Comment
-
You should be just fine. What shells did you load into?
Yesterday I loaded up 50 for my M1 Garand.
COAL-3.250
Shells-New Hornady
IMR 4895 @ 46.2gr
Bullet-Sierra 150gr HPBT
Also I use the Garand Gear Gas Plug. It works great! I have used Sie 175gr HPBT with the IMR 4895 and have had excellent results. Then again on my Garand is a Wilson Arms NM barrel."TRUST BUT, VERIFY"
Ronald ReaganComment
-
48gr of 4064 is fine if you are using commercial brass, it's a bit on the hot side with military brass. Your load of 45.6gr is great with a 150gr.weg: That device is obsolete now. They replaced it with wizards.
frank: Wait a minute. There are more than one wizard? Is [are?] the wizard calibrated?Comment
-
Read your book to prevent a long winded thread...46gr varget 150-175 bullet!Keep it simple!Comment
-
I've used 47 gr of IMR 4064 with success in my Garand. It's a great powder, just not the most meter friendly. I picked up the Lee perfect powder measure recently because it dispenses the stick powders pretty smoothly. If you are loading up a bunch for plinking, it's hard to beat for the price.Comment
-
M1
All of the brass is range pickupYou should be just fine. What shells did you load into?
Yesterday I loaded up 50 for my M1 Garand.
COAL-3.250
Shells-New Hornady
IMR 4895 @ 46.2gr
Bullet-Sierra 150gr HPBT
Also I use the Garand Gear Gas Plug. It works great! I have used Sie 175gr HPBT with the IMR 4895 and have had excellent results. Then again on my Garand is a Wilson Arms NM barrel.
varying quite a bit in make. I'm mostly concerned with the OAL being less than 3.20,if I try and bring it past that not much of the bullet is in the case. I did install the Garand Gear Gas plug.Comment
-
You don't need a gas plug if you use standard M1 powders (there are plenty). If your brass is assorted then stick 46 gr of 4859 or 4046 of IMR or H in the case top it off with a 150gr anything and call it done. Short OAL is not a problem.weg: That device is obsolete now. They replaced it with wizards.
frank: Wait a minute. There are more than one wizard? Is [are?] the wizard calibrated?Comment
-
^^^I agree^^^ I think he means 4064.
I have no problem with the OAL at 3.25 with 150g bullets. Are the cases at proper length and trimmed? Your case length for the 30-06 should be at 2.494"."TRUST BUT, VERIFY"
Ronald ReaganComment
-
Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,575
Posts: 25,149,399
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,889
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 29169 users online. 59 members and 29110 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment