Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

cleaning with Goo Gone

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • huckberry668
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2007
    • 1502

    cleaning with Goo Gone

    I thought I'd share this... I had a Dillon powder measure for over 20 years. the plastic hopper got so dark from the powder that I couldn't see the powder level. Tried using alcohol, dish soap, bleach solution and a few others cleaning products to no avail.

    had a bottle of Goo Gone for removing dried grease and sticky film from tape. Tried it and was amazed. It works extremely well on carbon build-up on revolver cylinder flutes and faces too. just a wet patch with finger pressure will do the trick. Smells nice afterwards.

    However, it is flammable as indicated on the label so use it in a well vented area and away from heat/spark sources.

    Last edited by huckberry668; 01-12-2014, 1:20 PM. Reason: safety warning.
    GCC
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    Don't count your hits and congratulate yourself, count your misses and know why.
  • #2
    knucklehead0202
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2008
    • 4087

    very nice! may have to pick some up just for guns.

    Comment

    • #3
      huckberry668
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2007
      • 1502

      I'm not advocating its use on firearms. only carbon removal quality i found. i only used it to remove some stubborn carbon on the outside of a revolver cylinder. I've not used on to clean gun bores or other areas. It's flammable so be careful where you use it.
      GCC
      NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
      Don't count your hits and congratulate yourself, count your misses and know why.

      Comment

      • #4
        Carsgunsandchics
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2009
        • 3537

        I'd clean after with hot soapy water to remove the citrus oils left behind.
        Originally posted by fighterpilot562
        I am more of a sucker than a blower...

        Comment

        • #5
          area51
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2012
          • 715

          Originally posted by huckberry668
          I thought I'd share this... I had a Dillon powder measure for over 20 years. the plastic hopper got so dark from the powder that I couldn't see the powder level. Tried using alcohol, dish soap, bleach solution and a few others cleaning products to no avail.

          had a bottle of Goo Gone for removing dried grease and sticky film from tape. Tried it and was amazed. It works extremely well on carbon build-up on revolver cylinder flutes and faces too. just a wet patch with finger pressure will do the trick. Smells nice afterwards.

          However, it is flammable as indicated on the label so use it in a well vented area and away from heat/spark sources.

          does it affect bluing ?
          Looking 4" Python 686/ Redhawks, Les Baer.... East Bay NorCal

          Comment

          • #6
            huckberry668
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2007
            • 1502

            Originally posted by area51
            does it affect bluing ?
            No idea... I haven't tried.
            GCC
            NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
            Don't count your hits and congratulate yourself, count your misses and know why.

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1