Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

30-30 Bolt Action Non Lead Bullets

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • NorCalFocus
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2013
    • 3913

    30-30 Bolt Action Non Lead Bullets

    So I have a Springfield 30-30 bolt action that is my hunting gun for here in CA. My dad worked up a custom hand load for it, before he gave me the gun and all the reloading supplies. We're using a 130gn single shot soft point pistol bullet. Because its a bolt action, and its not tube feed, we were able to use the pointy bullets. The pistol bullet also will open up with the slower speeds of a 30-30.

    So I'm starting to look into a non-lead replacement for it. I like what I've read about the Hornady GMX and I can load the 150gn 308's in the 30-30, but will it open up at the slower speed? Does anyone know of a non lead 30 cal bullet for single shot pistol? I'm not asking for your secret recipe, just point a finger in the right direction please.
  • #2
    'ol shooter
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 4646

    Ask Hornady, they are very good with consumers questions.
    sigpic
    Bob B.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Comment

    • #3
      NorCalFocus
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2013
      • 3913

      Thank you I will do that.


      *EDIT*
      Looks like I won't do that til the 26th, lol.

      Comment

      • #4
      • #5
        Divernhunter
        Calguns Addict
        • May 2010
        • 8753

        The Barnes 130gr TTSX would work well. You need to push the non-lead fast for them to work best. They also preform like a bullet 30% heavier. So drop down in weight and move them faster.
        OR barnes makes a 150gr bullet designed for the lever action rifles which would also work. It is 150gr TSX FN.
        If you need load data for either PM me.
        A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
        NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
        SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

        Comment

        • #6
          NorCalFocus
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2013
          • 3913

          I saw the Barnes TTSX and was wondering how those 130s would work. With my current load I can stretch out to 250-300 yards so I was hoping to do the same with a non lead. Thanks for the info guys.

          Comment

          • #7
            Divernhunter
            Calguns Addict
            • May 2010
            • 8753

            The 130grTTSX will work. 250-300 honest yards hunting with a 30-30 is streching it but if you can great.

            If you need any help I am very near you
            A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
            NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
            SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1