Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Gas check question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • tackdriver
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2009
    • 1212

    Gas check question

    It was my understanding that, if I wanted to use a gas check on a lead bullet, the bullet would have had to have been designed to accept the gas check. I assume they have a little indentation at the base.
    On the Hornady site, they have sketches of their gas check being installed on a normal shaped bullet. IF that's the case, I assume the gas check would be tight enough so as not to affect the overall diameter?
    So then, which is it? Gas lead bullet designed for gas checks or gas checks used on any ol' lead bullet?


    Ive been reloading for years but every time its a whole new friggin adventure!
    Last edited by tackdriver; 11-03-2013, 2:35 PM.
  • #2
    tujungatoes
    Calguns Addict
    • Dec 2006
    • 7942

    Gas checks need to be used on bullets with a reduced base diameter designed for accepting them.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by Dr. Elky
    If your a man who wears white sunglasses, your probably a douche bag
    Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
    I've been know to cross dress and go the other way at certain events.

    Comment

    • #3
      tackdriver
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2009
      • 1212

      Originally posted by tujungatoes
      Gas checks need to be used on bullets with a reduced base diameter designed for accepting them.
      Ok, you cant get much clearer than that! Thx!!

      Comment

      • #4
        mark501w
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2011
        • 1699

        You crimp them on.

        Comment

        • #5
          CGT80
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2008
          • 2981

          You can put a gas check on a gas check designed bullet or on a plain base bullet. When gas checking a plain base bullet, the gas check has to be bigger. The gas check is swaged onto the bullet so that it is the same size as the bullet.

          MP 270 SAA hollow point 0.452" boolit-plain base mold and no gas check


          Same 270 boolit but with a plain base aluminum gas check installed when the boolit was sized and lubed:



          The boolit on the left is a 30 cal that has the standard gas check shank and will use a hornady 30 cal gas check or an aluminum gas check that is the same size. This is old technology.

          The middle boolit is a RCBS 225 RN plain base which I use for 45 ACP and 45 colt (also used it for 460 mag). In the photo, I have a plain base aluminum gas check installed, so I can run it in a medium power load in the 460. I use it plain for 45 colt and ACP. I run the boolit on the right over 38.0 grains of A5744, which should be 1400-1500 fps.

          Plain base gas checks seem to be a fairly new idea. You can buy a tool and make your own from aluminum cans or flashing material, or possibly even copper. There are guys on the Castboolits forum that sell the checks. That is where I got them.

          Tons of info on gas checks:



          Edit. I just realized the OP was the person I replied to in a PM. Well, maybe this info will help out others.
          Last edited by CGT80; 11-04-2013, 10:50 PM.
          He who dies with the most tools/toys wins

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1