Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Reloading subsonic brass 308

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • sixgunner
    Member
    • Oct 2008
    • 297

    Reloading subsonic brass 308

    I got some 7.62 loaded subsonic ammo. Made by H-J Ballistic Research. It's Match brass. The package says do not reload. Anyone know why?
  • #2
    Davisje011
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2012
    • 556

    Because they want to keep you as a customer?
    Brass, Brass, and Brass for Sale!!!!!!
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...8#post12109638

    Comment

    • #3
      FMJBT
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2007
      • 4888

      Could it be non standard brass, like maybe modified somehow to reduce case capacity to allow a more efficient burn with the reduced powder charge used?
      U.S. Navy (Retired) 1994-2015

      Comment

      • #4
        Spyder
        CGN Contributor
        • Mar 2008
        • 17272

        I load my own subsonics with 175 SMKs and Trailboss, in Winchester cases. I'd have to look, but I believe I use 9grains of TB, and they are about 950fps. Great little round for quiet shooting at 300 yards and less.
        Unless they have something funny with their brass, I don't know why they wouldn't want you to reload them?

        Comment

        • #5
          BigBronco also not a Cabinetguy
          Calguns Addict
          • Jul 2009
          • 7079

          To see if the case has been modified fill one and another that you know to be unmodified with water then weight the water after pouring it out in to a scale pan.
          "Life is a long song" Jethro Tull

          Comment

          • #6
            sixgunner
            Member
            • Oct 2008
            • 297

            Good advise will measure the case volume.

            Comment

            • #7
              CK_32
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Sep 2010
              • 14369

              Why do you guys load subs here?


              If any of your SOBs have suppressors I hate you all
              For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

              What's Your Caliber??


              My Youtube channel

              Comment

              • #8
                sixgunner
                Member
                • Oct 2008
                • 297

                I do not load sub ammo. Just got a bunch in a trade.

                Comment

                • #9
                  bruceflinch
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 40155

                  Shooting sub sonic 308 is FUN!
                  Actually I only started collecting Milsurps 3 years ago. I think I might own about 24...They're cheaper than guns that will most likely never get the opportunity to kill somebody...

                  I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

                  Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

                  Secret Club Member?.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    74c5
                    Member
                    • Sep 2011
                    • 323

                    Also weigh the cases. I'd worry if the difference is more than once or twice the spread of a batch of known good cases.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      3006mv
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2006
                      • 1979

                      Check the primer pocket ignition diameter, they drill those out bigger sometimes for subsonic loads. Check brass to see if any other marks on head stamp. I opened up some of my pistol brass to shoot rubber and wax bullets with just a primer.
                      "when I hear 'meat is murder' (sic) I think murder is delicious" - Stephen Colbert interview with Morrisey 09.10.12

                      I plead the 2nd.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1