Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.260 rem reloading help...s.o.s

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • harperjr
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2013
    • 8

    .260 rem reloading help...s.o.s

    I have a Savege LRP model 12 in 260 REM and I'm having a hell of a time finding a good load that will hold a group better than MOA.

    I've followed all breakin procedures and have paid verry close attention to case prep. this is what im working with at the moment.

    REM BRASS
    H4350
    NOSLER 130 ACCUBOND

    If you could please provide me with any load data for my rifle, and recommendations on loading components as well..Thank you
  • #2
    nubrun
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2012
    • 998

    Originally posted by harperjr
    I have a Savege LRP model 12 in 260 REM and I'm having a hell of a time finding a good load that will hold a group better than MOA.

    I've followed all breakin procedures and have paid verry close attention to case prep. this is what im working with at the moment.

    REM BRASS
    H4350
    NOSLER 130 ACCUBOND

    If you could please provide me with any load data for my rifle, and recommendations on loading components as well..Thank you
    What loads have you tried so far? Have you tried shooting something other than the 130 accubonds? I know my 6.5x47 shoots the 130 VLD's lights out, but the 123 scenars not so much...

    I was going to say check out savage shooters but it looks like you are already on there, lol.

    Also not to discount your shooting skills, but are you a sub-MOA shooter?

    Comment

    • #3
      harperjr
      Junior Member
      • Aug 2013
      • 8

      Thanks nick...

      Comment

      • #4
        harperjr
        Junior Member
        • Aug 2013
        • 8

        lol I shoot with BIGJAKE83 he's sitting next to me

        No I have not had a chance to try different bullets, I was really hoping to hear form some fellow .260 savage shooters.

        Comment

        • #5
          nubrun
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2012
          • 998

          Originally posted by harperjr
          lol I shoot with BIGJAKE83 he's sitting next to me

          No I have not had a chance to try different bullets, I was really hoping to hear form some fellow .260 savage shooters.
          Beg, borrow, or steal some of his 130 VLD's, lol.

          Comment

          • #6
            harperjr
            Junior Member
            • Aug 2013
            • 8

            jake wants to know when were going to meet up we found a spot thats about 800 yards flat?

            Comment

            • #7
              nubrun
              Senior Member
              • Jul 2012
              • 998

              I need to get out there with you guys. When is the next time you're heading out?

              Comment

              • #8
                harperjr
                Junior Member
                • Aug 2013
                • 8

                This thursday myself, jake and few other guys from work are going...not sure if jake is shooting since he is still waiting on his scope fron USO..lol

                They are sending him a whole new scope with rings..

                Comment

                • #9
                  Bongos
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 4095

                  This does .46"-.54" 5 rd groups out of my R&D Precision Guardian


                  260 Rem = 43gr of RL19 142gr SMK

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    D.carden
                    Member
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 189

                    Originally posted by Bongos
                    This does .46"-.54" 5 rd groups out of my R&D Precision Guardian


                    260 Rem = 43gr of RL19 142gr SMK
                    ^^This^^... and with N160, H4831sc... Charge weights being similar..!!
                    Need more info though.. Charge weight, velocity, OAl would help. I looked up that model and it shows to have a 1/8 twist. That rate likes the longer, heavier projectiles.

                    I have a DPMS LR .260, 24" 1/7.5 that i feed 140/142 SMK's... Shoots 1/2 moa. What i found was it likes the 2650fps range.... Over 2700 and it starts to open up....

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Divernhunter
                      Calguns Addict
                      • May 2010
                      • 8753

                      There are many things that can cause this besides the load. Check stock screws, is barrel free-floated or touching on the side, scope mounts/rings tight, what brand scope and did you try a different scope.
                      Then there is the bullet selection. Maybe a different weidht or brand. Try the Swift 130gr Scirocco or a 140gr bullet or a 120gr bullet.
                      It is nice but not needed to have one hole groups for hunting. The proper bullet is more important than tiny groups. This is not true if only shooting paper for score or ego. It is nice to have both the proper bullet for the game hunted and tiny groups though
                      A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
                      NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
                      SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

                      Comment

                      • #12
                      • #13
                        BLR81
                        Member
                        • May 2012
                        • 347

                        I'd say go with divernhunters suggestions first. Action screws, barrel to stock clearance and scope mounting and tracking,also parallax setting.

                        I have the Savage LRP in 260 and load with IMR 4350. But, I shoot the Sierra 142gr bullet. I load at around 38.5 grs on my practice loads but for long range matches, I load pretty close to max. Every rifle is different, so you'll have to run some test loads to find what's best for yours.

                        I also use Lapua brass which can make a difference. I see a difference between my Lapua brass and some Winchester that I have.

                        Also, how are you shooting? Bench? Prone? Front bag? Mechanical rest? Tripod? A cheap or loose tripod will mess up your groups. As will poor marksmanship skills like improper breathing and inconsistent cheek weld.

                        Check the mechanical first, and not to be a smart *** but did you have someone else that shoots well try? Eliminate as many possibilities first before you go chasing loads, it will be less expensive that way.

                        Comment

                        • #14
                          ar15barrels
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 57177

                          43.5gr of H4350 under a 142smk at 2.820" has shot excellent in every 260 I have built.
                          So much so that we don't even do load development anymore.
                          Just load that load.
                          I have seen sub 1/3 moa groups from that load in multiple guns.
                          Randall Rausch

                          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                          Comment

                          • #15
                            w210838
                            Member
                            • Mar 2010
                            • 499

                            Hey bud I run an ar10 in 260. I run a 1x8.5 twist barrel, 22 inches my pet load is 140 smk moly coated with 47 grains of imr7828. Average is 2645 fps and I hold 1.5 to 2 inch group at 500 yards. Hope this helps.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1