Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Reloading 32-40... or at least Im trying.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Nickgt40
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    • May 2011
    • 485

    Thanks for the tip Witch Hunter (and the rest of you).

    So far I have two boxes of John Wayne ammo, about 20 casings, and about 15 pre-made reload rounds.

    I think Oregon Trail will be my go to source for projectiles, now I need to decide if I should do the fire formed 30-30 stuff or try to find 32-40 brass.

    Comment

    • #17
      'ol shooter
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2011
      • 4646

      Originally posted by Nickgt40
      Thanks for the tip Witch Hunter (and the rest of you).

      So far I have two boxes of John Wayne ammo, about 20 casings, and about 15 pre-made reload rounds.

      I think Oregon Trail will be my go to source for projectiles, now I need to decide if I should do the fire formed 30-30 stuff or try to find 32-40 brass.
      If you do use the Oregon Trail Bullets, make sure and call them to ask what they recommend for the seated length specs. My 30-30 and .32 bullets do not seat to industry standard O.A.L. per their recommendations.
      sigpic
      Bob B.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(")

      Comment

      • #18
        Nickgt40
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        • May 2011
        • 485

        ^^ That's great info. I will make sure to do that.

        Thanks again for the help Bob.

        Comment

        • #19
          Nickgt40
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          • May 2011
          • 485

          I guess I should show you guys the gun I'm trying to reload for. I will be shooting it for the first time tomorrow, can't wait.

          Comment

          • #20
            Nickgt40
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            • May 2011
            • 485

            So I found brass, but MAN is it expensive.



            After shipping that's over $1 per case. I'm not sure if I want to go that route just yet.



            Luckily I was able to procure RCBS Cowboy Dies and have some projectiles on order. So with the primers already stocked as well as the 4227 ready to be loaded I'm just awaiting the brass to load.

            Comment

            • #21
              SublimeJJ99
              Member
              • Feb 2012
              • 308

              Originally posted by Nickgt40
              I guess I should show you guys the gun I'm trying to reload for. I will be shooting it for the first time tomorrow, can't wait.

              Yup. Beautiful saddle gun. John Wayne commemorative.

              Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

              Comment

              • #22
                Nickgt40
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                • May 2011
                • 485

                Well, bringing this back from the dead. I figure I should update with what I've go so far:

                I purchased a box of 500 RN FP 170gr Oregon Trail cast bullets.

                I've got just about 50 pieces of brass that are ready to load, mostly 32-40 in mixed stamps, 3 of them are 32 Win Special cases that have been previously worked over to function.

                I've got 100 pieces of mixed head stamp 32 Win Special that's ready to be reworked.

                I've got plenty of 4227 and Winchester Primers, heck I've even got the RCBS Cowboy Dies.



                So now the fun part, anyone have any suggestions on reforming the 32 Win Special brass? I'm still pretty new to reloading so any help is appreciated.

                Comment

                • #23
                  'ol shooter
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2011
                  • 4646

                  Glad to see you are getting there. I have no knowledge of re-forming, but I'm sure a bunch here are. You can also peruse Paco Kelly's Leverguns site for info too.



                  and this one:

                  Last edited by 'ol shooter; 11-11-2014, 9:42 AM.
                  sigpic
                  Bob B.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(")

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Tom-ADC
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 3614

                    You can use 38-55 brass and RCBS makes a two die set to do this but make sure you are sitting down when you see the prices.
                    Starline makes 38-55 brass.
                    US Navy Retired, NRA Lifetime member. Member CRPA

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1