Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

308 case lube

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • MIAMIbaseballer
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2012
    • 791

    308 case lube

    I just started loading 308 on my xl650 with Dillon steel dies. All commercial brass is once fired outta the gun I'm loading for (socom 16). My question is.... Why does it take an absurd amount of force to resize? I'm using Dillon case lube. I'm spraying one spray per case and it's still not helping.... Is this just how 308 is?

    do I need to use wax or what.....

    thx
    Last edited by MIAMIbaseballer; 10-02-2013, 11:42 AM.
    It's ok to be jealous. We understand your animosity. We live the life you wish you had. And of over 4000 universities and over 1700 division 1 schools, only one is simply known as "The U"
  • #2
    Rock6.3
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2010
    • 2431

    That is too much spray.

    1. Shake it well. Get the lanolin off the bottom of the bottle.
    2. Put about 50 cases in a baggie or plastic container, give them 4 squirts, shake well to coat thoroughly.
    3. Allow to dry for 10 minutes before resizing.

    Comment

    • #3
      Swagman00
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2012
      • 4149

      Going out on a limb here, but how does the brass look? No serious bells in the case neck, right?

      New dies also can have a break in process and there may be leftover flakes from the machining process still in there. Never worked with Dillon, but I had to run a dozen or so rounds through my Lee sets and clean out metal flakes before they properly sized brass.

      I work with paste lube over spray lube if that helps at all.
      Anyway...here's a dearth of reasoning to ponder: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Guns

      Originally posted by movie zombie
      and you guys wonder why women are fed up with bad behavior?!

      Comment

      • #4
        J-cat
        Calguns Addict
        • May 2005
        • 6626

        The reason it is taking a lot of force is because your is not lubing. Get some imperial sizing wax. It is the best.

        Comment

        • #5
          jetman624
          Senior Member
          • May 2011
          • 514

          I had some problems with DCL being inconsistent on brass-- some would resize fine, while 1 out of 5 or so would be really tough and want to stick.

          I switched to imperial sizing wax and they all resize like butter.

          Comment

          • #6
            cpatbay
            Senior Member
            • May 2011
            • 1631

            Put your brass in a ziplock bag. Put 2-3 sprays into the bag (less if you have only a small number of brass; ie <30). Zip the bag and shake the brass to even the lube. Let it sits for 10 mins and then resize them. Never had a problem. Also make sure your die is cleaned and lubed with dry lube.
            NRA Lifer

            No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason
            for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
            to protect themselves against tyranny in government - Thomas Jefferson


            Comment

            • #7
              MIAMIbaseballer
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2012
              • 791

              Originally posted by Swagman00
              Going out on a limb here, but how does the brass look? No serious bells in the case neck, right?

              New dies also can have a break in process and there may be leftover flakes from the machining process still in there. Never worked with Dillon, but I had to run a dozen or so rounds through my Lee sets and clean out metal flakes before they properly sized brass.

              I work with paste lube over spray lube if that helps at all.
              brass is fine.... no issues other than a couple small nicks... I spoke with Dillon and the guy said to scrub the die with a brush and alcohol, then soak it with lube and sacrifice a couple cases. (Dies also came to me a little dirty and are leaving small scratches on my brass, Dillon sending new ones)....
              It's ok to be jealous. We understand your animosity. We live the life you wish you had. And of over 4000 universities and over 1700 division 1 schools, only one is simply known as "The U"

              Comment

              • #8
                Bastard
                • Jul 2009
                • 2209

                Originally posted by J-cat
                Get some imperial sizing wax. It is the best.
                I use wax while neck sizing - The RCBS case lube pad when full length
                (never really thought about using wax for both)

                I have used, or tried to use the sprays and they just don't work as well IMHO.

                Comment

                • #9
                  MIAMIbaseballer
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2012
                  • 791

                  Originally posted by Rock6.3
                  That is too much spray.

                  1. Shake it well. Get the lanolin off the bottom of the bottle.
                  2. Put about 50 cases in a baggie or plastic container, give them 4 squirts, shake well to coat thoroughly.
                  3. Allow to dry for 10 minutes before resizing.
                  Originally posted by cpatbay
                  Put your brass in a ziplock bag. Put 2-3 sprays into the bag (less if you have only a small number of brass; ie <30). Zip the bag and shake the brass to even the lube. Let it sits for 10 mins and then resize them. Never had a problem. Also make sure your die is cleaned and lubed with dry lube.
                  Thanks guys.... I will be trying this tonight after I clean the die
                  It's ok to be jealous. We understand your animosity. We live the life you wish you had. And of over 4000 universities and over 1700 division 1 schools, only one is simply known as "The U"

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    MIAMIbaseballer
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2012
                    • 791

                    Originally posted by J-cat
                    The reason it is taking a lot of force is because your is not lubing. Get some imperial sizing wax. It is the best.
                    Originally posted by jetman624
                    I had some problems with DCL being inconsistent on brass-- some would resize fine, while 1 out of 5 or so would be really tough and want to stick.

                    I switched to imperial sizing wax and they all resize like butter.
                    If the bag trick doesn't work, I'll be using wax next.... thx
                    It's ok to be jealous. We understand your animosity. We live the life you wish you had. And of over 4000 universities and over 1700 division 1 schools, only one is simply known as "The U"

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      FLIGHT762
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 3072

                      The bag trick works well, I use a cardboard box. Spritz the cases in the box about 3 sprays, shake up / mix the cases well, spritz again 2 or so sprays, shake and let the alcohol dry for a few minutes.

                      You will get a feel of how many times to spray the cases. For bulk ammo, I only use the Dillon lube or the similar, home made alcohol lanolin. I don't get stuck cases. Went to using it many years ago. No reason to use anything else.

                      For small jobs for individual cases, I use Imperial wax, but I've found alternatives that work just as well. Kiwi Mink Oil in the tin, 10-50- wt. synthetic motor oil and Chapstick.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        G38xOC
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2009
                        • 3749

                        I've noticed 308 takes bit more force to resize compare to 223 . I think it has to do with longer brass ?

                        but I've has few mil spec brass indicating 7.62 and even with proper lube , case goes in about 1/4 into the die n gets sorta stuck . I usuallly toss em . I just thought those were shot out of machine gun or something n got stretched out

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          damndave
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Oct 2008
                          • 10858

                          Make your own case lube!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            CK_32
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Sep 2010
                            • 14369

                            Originally posted by G38xOC
                            I've noticed 308 takes bit more force to resize compare to 223 . I think it has to do with longer brass ?

                            but I've has few mil spec brass indicating 7.62 and even with proper lube , case goes in about 1/4 into the die n gets sorta stuck . I usuallly toss em . I just thought those were shot out of machine gun or something n got stretched out
                            I'm the opposite. My 308 is a sintch. 223 is a b**ch.


                            Could also be because for 223 I FL and only neck 08 but still way easier when I do my 308 brass.
                            For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

                            What's Your Caliber??


                            My Youtube channel

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              DelDanko
                              Member
                              • Mar 2012
                              • 103

                              was spraying lube on my brass when resizing 308 out of a machine gun, now i just roll it on the RCBS pad and its butter.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1