Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Which manual case trimmer?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BruinGuy
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2011
    • 1456

    Which manual case trimmer?

    I have been using a Lee Zip Trim, which works great for .223 and okay for .30-06, but it stinks for 7.62x39 and x54R. The cases wobble and trim unevenly and the Lee gauge is too short.

    Plus, my thumbs get really sore after a while.

    So I'm looking into a nicer manual case trimmer. I'm especially looking at the Lyman "Universal" Trimmer (about $80) and the Hornady 50140 Cam Lock Case Trimmer (about $70). I would need to buy some additional pilots for the Lyman, and pilots and shell holders for the Hornady. I'm not really interested in any of the expensive powered trimmers, so no Giraud or whatnot for me. I just want a solid manual trimmer.

    I'd like to hear from those who own or have used these two machines. I'm looking for accuracy, easy cutting, and a simple and quick mechanism for getting the shell in and out of the holder. Open to suggestions to look into other manual trimmers in the same price range/class.

    As always, I appreciate your feedback!
    Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
    Keep in mind that you don't have a clue.
  • #2
    CK_32
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Sep 2010
    • 14369

    My laymen trimmers been pretty good to me.

    They also have an adaption that can hook up a drill to it so that's a bonus. I'm still rockin the crank tho
    For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

    What's Your Caliber??


    My Youtube channel

    Comment

    • #3
      mark501w
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2011
      • 1699

      I like the way the Lyman locks the case in regardless of rim size. RCBS is good but, clamps on rim .

      Comment

      • #4
        damndave
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Oct 2008
        • 10858

        For the best of everything, get the Wilson/Sinclair case trimmer.

        The RCBS works pretty good, but the drill adapter sucks. Strips after a few hundred uses.

        The Forster is very good, but the lever to lock the case in is hard on the hands.


        I have now moved on to a motorized trimmer now though.

        Comment

        • #5
          9mmrevolver
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2006
          • 1477

          I have a Forster. I got it for like 25 bucks on eBay. I took the handle off and replaced it with a drill. It did tap my drill but I got it from Walmart so whatever. I didn't get the drill adaptor made by Forster because I'm too cheap.

          Comment

          • #6
            milotrain
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2011
            • 4301

            That wilson trimmer is awesome, and fairly cheap. The primer pocket reamer tool that works in the trimmer is also fantastic. The case support system on the wilson is the best.
            weg: That device is obsolete now. They replaced it with wizards.
            frank: Wait a minute. There are more than one wizard? Is [are?] the wizard calibrated?

            Comment

            • #7
              OpenSightsOnly
              Senior Member
              • Sep 2009
              • 1557

              I used a Redding 2400, hand crank lathe/trimmer with micrometer. Cuts are accurate once you got that dialed. But the fingers/thumbs got sore after trimming 200 or so cases of .223 on a monthly basis. So, I moved on to a Giraud.

              If you are looking for a hand crank powder dispenser, get the Redding BR 30.



              Originally posted by BruinGuy
              I have been using a Lee Zip Trim, which works great for .223 and okay for .30-06, but it stinks for 7.62x39 and x54R. The cases wobble and trim unevenly and the Lee gauge is too short.

              Plus, my thumbs get really sore after a while.

              So I'm looking into a nicer manual case trimmer. I'm especially looking at the Lyman "Universal" Trimmer (about $80) and the Hornady 50140 Cam Lock Case Trimmer (about $70). I would need to buy some additional pilots for the Lyman, and pilots and shell holders for the Hornady. I'm not really interested in any of the expensive powered trimmers, so no Giraud or whatnot for me. I just want a solid manual trimmer.

              I'd like to hear from those who own or have used these two machines. I'm looking for accuracy, easy cutting, and a simple and quick mechanism for getting the shell in and out of the holder. Open to suggestions to look into other manual trimmers in the same price range/class.

              As always, I appreciate your feedback!

              Comment

              • #8
                cavemanlrrp
                Senior Member
                • Jul 2010
                • 1175

                Another Wilson fan.

                Did the zip trim thing. Even after I got it to cut fairly accurately, most of the time, after about 500 cases I had my doubts the zipper would last very long and I had/have lots of brass to do.

                The Wilson is the tits. Always right on and square.
                If you go that way, get the stand & clamp. You can c clamp it to the bench.

                Best
                caveman
                A mans words may paint a pretty picture, but his actions show his true colors.

                Comment

                • #9
                  DazedandConfuzed
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2013
                  • 567

                  I have the Lyman Universal. It gets the job done...would recommend getting the carbide cutter option. Also has a drill adapter, if you want that option.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    milotrain
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • 4301

                    Originally posted by cavemanlrrp
                    The Wilson is the tits. Always right on and square.
                    If you go that way, get the stand & clamp. You can c clamp it to the bench.
                    I was annoyed that I didn't get the stand, but then I found a little bench vice at the hardware store for about the same money and now it just eats the wilson when I want it too, useful for other things when I am not trimming. Lives on the reloading bench.
                    weg: That device is obsolete now. They replaced it with wizards.
                    frank: Wait a minute. There are more than one wizard? Is [are?] the wizard calibrated?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      TacticalPlinker
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2011
                      • 2532

                      I think the trimmer I have is the Lyman Universal trimmer. Really solid trimmer (I think it's cast iron, good weight), and for a good price (well under $100). Two other things I like about it in addition to quality and price...

                      #1. It comes with a set of pilots. Not an extra cost.
                      #2. The way it holds the shell is universal, meaning you don't need to use a separate shell holder for each caliber.
                      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        KON5T
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2012
                        • 725

                        depends on what you want and quantities you are doing. I like the WTF, http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html

                        very accurate, but you have to adjust it to your work flow
                        it is not an easy thing to meet your maker (blade runner- 1982)

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          AR-Realtor
                          Member
                          CGN Contributor
                          • May 2010
                          • 132

                          I have the L.E. wilson and love it!!

                          Highly recommend it

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            CK_32
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Sep 2010
                            • 14369

                            Originally posted by TacticalPlinker

                            #1. It comes with a set of pilots. Not an extra cost.
                            #2. The way it holds the shell is universal, meaning you don't need to use a separate shell holder for each caliber.

                            This right here is 100% what sold me on mine. 100% happy with it too
                            For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

                            What's Your Caliber??


                            My Youtube channel

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              gunboat
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2008
                              • 3288

                              While the Wilson is a good tool, the disadvantage is the shellholders -- If you do a lot of different cases it can be right costly. And holders for some cases are not available.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1